Where to buy New Engine?

28 replies to this topic
  • polarbear

Posted December 05, 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hey guys, one of the guys that rides with us at my track completely ruined his motor last weekend. He ran it without any oil and completely melted everything. You name it, its broken! Now since he is going to pay me to mount the new engine (500 bucks) I figured it would be worth the time to post this and see what ideas you all have. It is a 2007 YZ 450. he needs a new engine, or a used one, and even from other year models if 07 not available. The two dealers I called said they could only order the parts. I find that hard to believe. Does anyone have any experience or know of how and where I can get a new/used engine? I have been looking on ebay too.

• KJ790

Posted December 05, 2007 - 01:41 PM

Ebay would probably be your best bet. 06-08 engines are pretty much the same and I believe should all fit. Run some part numbers to make sure that they will mount up because I believe there is a difference in the positioning of the engine in the frame from 06 to 07. It is probably going to cost a lot also, but I feel like a full engine would still be cheaper than parts.

• WB450

Posted December 05, 2007 - 01:42 PM

I found one on Ebay last week.

• yz426em

Posted December 05, 2007 - 02:00 PM

You will not be able to get a brand new complete engine, your options are limited to a used/new from a parted out machine. Like others have stated ebay is a great place to start.

• USED YZ426F

Posted December 05, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Yamaha does not sell complete engines. Only the parts. But, you can buy everything that you would need to assemble a new engine.

If you have to have a complete engine, eBay is about your only option. It will take a fair amount of luck to get a complete '07 engine though.

• Wiz636

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:05 PM

Ouch. This doesn't help solve the immediate problem of finding an engine but this has been a fear of mine since I almost fired up my old 426 after an oil change before refilling. Now I take the new oil and put it on the garage floor right next to the bike where I cann't miss it before I even drain the old. The filler cap goes right next to the new oil.

• jayh300

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:15 PM

Ouch. This doesn't help solve the immediate problem of finding an engine but this has been a fear of mine since I almost fired up my old 426 after an oil change before refilling. Now I take the new oil and put it on the garage floor right next to the bike where I cann't miss it before I even drain the old. The filler cap goes right next to the new oil.

almost the same mistake.... i did my hot cam install in my yz400f and a new piston/ring in my rmx the same day and fired the rmx up with no coolant in it....... of course it lit the first kick.....
now i only do one thing at a time.
jay
btw....i would be crying if i had a new 450 with a locked up motor.
hope you find one.

• KJ790

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I hang a red rag from a coat hanger on my handlebar whenever one of my bikes doesn't have oil in it. It is a good reminder. I normally fill my bikes up right after the oil change though.

• bthomas

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Masking tape & sharpie marker on the throttle grip.

• polarbear

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Upon further review, it looks like I can replace the crank bearings, new rod, piston and rings. The cylinder head and valves will need to be replaced. They are melted together and the cylilnder head is cracked from where one of the valves busted. So, with this said, all I need to buy new or used is a complete cylinder head. How much is a new cylinder head? Or maybe anyone has boughten one used on ebay? This is sure interesting looking at this engine. Maybe I'll take some pictures and post them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • srfdwg2

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:10 PM

What parts do you need?I have a connection to parts on a motor with maybe 20 hours max!Only thing this motor does not have is the head assembly.

• steve_97060

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:26 PM

I've never understood why you can't purchase replacement/spare engines...

• nap__kxf

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:16 PM

I've never understood why you can't purchase replacement/spare engines...

they'd rather you buy a new bike

:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2007 - 06:37 AM

For what they would want for a complete engine, you probably could buy a new bike, too.

• tnl

Posted December 07, 2007 - 11:35 AM

How much is a new cylinder head? Or maybe anyone has boughten one used on ebay?

Around $200 for a new O.E.M. one.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Not for a YZ450, it's not.

A new bare head for an '06/'07 (2S2-11102-00-00), which includes only valve guides and cam caps, is $630 at retail.

• motomanmike26

Posted December 07, 2007 - 03:18 PM

you can get a brand new 1 for 1500 from pinehart. PM if you want more info

• tnl

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:06 PM

I was thinking just this part: cylinder assy 5TA-11311-01-00 $199 here on T.T. but this dude fried everything.

• polarbear

Posted December 07, 2007 - 05:48 PM

630 bucks??? !!!! Ouch... I think I would be better off buying a used one on ebay. What year models of cylinder heads will fit the 07 motor?

• polarbear

Posted December 07, 2007 - 05:51 PM

What parts do you need?I have a connection to parts on a motor with maybe 20 hours max!Only thing this motor does not have is the head assembly.

Cool, like what parts are you talking about on the head assembly? This sounds like a good idea. PM me with more :banghead: info. Thanks!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.