Crankshaft wear?

2 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted December 05, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Bike's in the shop right now to have the case replaced and the Tech. (not from a Yamaha dealer but reputable) looked over some other components and suggest replacing the following parts: my crankshaft assembly because of some signs of wear and tear, cylinder has straight, vertical scratches in it but I can't feel them with my fingernail (but visible) and I don't notice any lack of power and doesn't blow any smoke, primary drive gear showing signs of wear. Bike is a 05 450 with 70 hours on it, oil change every 5 hrs, air filter cleaned every ride, synthetic oil (Valvoline mx4t), Scott's oil filter, never been raced/rec. rider. Is it abnormal to need to replace these items when the case is split opened even if it's in spec? I need to find out exactly what wear and tear they are referring to I guess? Tough question I guess but just wanted some input on how far to go with these additional parts about $700 worth? If the wear and tear is in spec then I think I should leave it but I think the parts inside the case are tougher to replace later. I also don't want anything to fail if I opt to not have them replaced now. Kinda like $700 now or $2500 later. I hear alot about people getting alot more hours out of their bikes before replacing all this stuff. Am I doing something wrong? A money decision I guess?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 02:13 PM

The only reason you would replace the crank is if the cam drive sprocket is seriously worn, or the rod is loose. See page 2-7 of your manual for how to check this, and be sure that when you check the play by rocking the rod (F), you don't confuse the rocking with side clearance (A). With any bearing that has time on it, the thing you can't know is when or whether it will fail from fatigue. That's where the guessing comes in. There's no sound reason not to swap out the main bearings, though.

The test on the cylinder is simple: make 4 passes at it with a spring-ball hone. If the scratches are still visible, consider replacement. If not, replace the rings and be on your merry way.

• 642MX

Posted December 05, 2007 - 05:10 PM

If it was mine, I'd go ahead and replace the main bearings and the big end bearing. Reading about seized cranks on 4xx's are not real common, but when they break they tend to cost a small fortune to fix.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.