Yz450f smoothout power?

6 replies to this topic
  • tnat1

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Guys i just picked up a stock 06 yz450f, im coming from a DRZ400, yoshti pipe and hotcams on it. my question is how do i smooth out the power like a drzs linear power. the drz is alot easier to ride fast on. the yz i know has much more hp about 6 more than my drz. will a heavier flywheel help or dropping the needle down in the carb or larger front sprocket. any suggestions.

• maddogyz250f

Posted December 05, 2007 - 12:23 PM

Adding 9 oz to the flywheel helps a lot.

• bboyce

Posted December 05, 2007 - 12:32 PM

Seat time will cure this. One ride on the KX450 and you will love your YZ, they are the smoothest 450 out there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 01:50 PM

A flywheel will help, and higher gearing will help, but in the end, bboyce is right; you will adapt.

Jetting it wrong by dropping or raising the needle when it's not called for will just make it run bad.

• GCannon

Posted December 05, 2007 - 02:58 PM

WR exhaust cam might be another alternative, but why?

The more you ride it the more you will like it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Seriously, the bike may be snappier and more aggressive than a DRZ, but compared with other 450's, and earlier YZF's in particular, the engine pulls much more smoothly and more like an old school thumper than you may realize right now. The uncanny thing is that even though it isn't as explosive at 4000 as an '03, it pulls much better at 3000, and with less tendency to stall. But then it continues in a very linear manner way past the point where any old school thumper could reach, and then beyond even what the '03 is capable of in a nearly straight line. No spikes or hits, just electric motor kind of dial it up or down power anytime you want it.

• tnat1

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:04 AM

Thanks guys, I think yamaha has a 9oz or 13oz flywheel, for 100$ i give it a try, im just not used to that hp, My drz is fast ive got the 440bb,hotcams,eric gorr ported head and yoshTI pipe. I thought that thing was fast. I guess its a combo of 6-8 more hp and 80lbs lighter makes the big difference.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.