Help me pick a place to live!!!! please :thumbsup:

64 replies to this topic
  • Maroast

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:35 PM

I figure I spend a good amount of time in this forum and really like all of you guys… so I’m just asking for some input from everyone around the country.

I’m graduating from nursing school in a few months…so finding employment is the absolute least of my worries in choosing a new place to live. Employment for my girl isn’t really an issue either.

Top of our list right now is Portland OR, and Denver/Boulder CO. Were both from NY (city area) and have been living in TX for the past 3+. We really like the weather in TX, but the riding sucks, and so does Dallas. I’ve spent a month in Portland and really liked it….been all through CO and really liked that place too… But I have to say that we are really into the warm (and dry) weather!

I’m looking for a state/ city that’s got good dirt biking/ MTBing very close by…. Hunting, fishing…and all that other good stuff.

We haven’t looked to California at all…to be totally honest, from reading stuff on this forum, I’m kinda scared of Cali… it looks like regulations are getting really tight out there and they break your balls over everything…not to mention its expensive as hell. Is my view of Cali wrong?!?!?! For the people who live there, do you recommend it as a place to move??? Or are you not very happy with your state.

So, if people could quickly chime in and say whether they like their city or not…and would recommend it as a place to live….it would be a huge help!!

~Tom

• dirtrider115

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Since you ride a plated xr650r look no further,Reno,Tahoe,Carson City,Gardnerville,Nevada.As good as gets at least for now although as more Cali's move here our area is changing as most are.No offence Cali dirt bikers you are welcome just leave the liberal tree huggers with you that move here and try to tell us how we should live.

• rangerman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:47 PM

Oregon!!!

• tgstoken

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:48 PM

I live up here in Washington and I think that eastern WA would have everything you want. Summertime temps of 110, winter temps of -10 and everything in between. All the hunting, shooting, biking space in the world. Check out a place like Wenatchee or Leavenworth. I personally am not into big cities, there are just too many people. Up here in WA, you can go on a hike or a ride and never see one single other person all day long. We also have some roads with very nice scenery just begging to be ridden.

• Maroast

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, we are really thinking/ liking the PNW....the idea of boundless adventure and beautiful scenery is very exciting....

I lived in SW Utah for about 3 months and loved the desert.... Nevada looks like a sick place to live also...just looking at a map of nevada gets the imagination running wild...so much space and wacky stuff out there...I like the idea of living somewhere that lets you do whatever you want... nevada would take some persuasion to get my girl into the idea

• dirtrider115

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:59 PM

Most people think of Reno as barren desert not at all I ride the mountains all summer and the dez in the winter.Also Vegas and Reno are completely different.

• juicebox

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:03 PM

yeah, I live in southern utah and love it. I live in cedar city, so we have 4 seasons but st. george is only 45mins away and it never really snows there. so everything is close and the mountains up here are fantastic.

• treecop

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hey Dude,

I have lived in Wenatchee, Spokane, and Hoquiam (near Olympia) WA. I grew up on the west side of Oregon and WA. I have also lived in Post Falls, ID (Couer D'Lane) and Grand Lake, CO.

I currently live in Baker City, OR.

If I were to move (and my wife is an RN also) I would move to Wenatchee, WA. No state income tax, ski area, Columbia River, and hundreds of miles of trails from Leavenworth to Chelan.

2nd choice would be Spokane area.

Good Luck

• Maroast

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:15 PM

yeah, I live in southern utah and love it. I live in cedar city, so we have 4 seasons but st. george is only 45mins away and it never really snows there. so everything is close and the mountains up here are fantastic.

Cedar City is a pretty place.... I worked out in Enterprise...and "lived" in St. George. Great riding right outside of the city... fill the tank, slap on the GPS...and head into the desert/ mountains

Posted Image

• Spud786

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:15 PM

you could always move 300 mile south to the Best Texas has to offer and still ride year round, atleast on the street. But I agree the Pacific Northwest is pretty good even with limited months, Florida is not bad either for offroad, there are no rock or thorns, and you can ride in the forrest during rain storms,theres no mud. Ofcourse street riding there is less than spectacular

but Texas is not the best place for open offroad land , I agree.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Maroast

Posted December 05, 2007 - 12:13 AM

you could always move 300 mile south to the Best Texas has to offer and still ride year round, atleast on the street. But I agree the Pacific Northwest is pretty good even with limited months, Florida is not bad either for offroad, there are no rock or thorns, and you can ride in the forrest during rain storms,theres no mud. Ofcourse street riding there is less than spectacular

but Texas is not the best place for open offroad land , I agree.

A few years back I rode a bicycle through Texas on a x-country trip... and hill country is soooo beautiful... I entered hill country in San Marcus and popped out by Del Rio...then went out to Big Bend...then north through the Davis Mtns...bla bla bla

My question is: is the area surrounding Austin really an off-road wasteland? I just remember riding through hill county and seeing TON of "no trespassing" signs ....I'm more of an exploration kinda guy... rather than MX track guy.... I really liked austin...and yes, the weather is great! But I want to live somewhere where adventure doesnt take hours to get to (although mexico aint all that far) Thanks a lot Spud....

• jonr3

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:09 AM

I've lived in central Illinois, Phoenix, San Diego, northern California, and now live in North Carolina. If I was still single, I would live in San Diego - deserts, mountains, beaches, etc. Unfortunately, it's mega-expensive. Nor Cal is just as expensive and Phoenix was too hot!

We moved 3,000 miles to Lenoir, North Carolina (just outside of Hickory and about an hour and a half from Charlotte and an hour and half from Asheville. We're about 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway and 15 minutes from Brown Mountain ORV park and Brushy Mountain motorcycle park.

It's a growing community and the cost of living is excellent. We bought a 3,300 sq. ft. bed & breakfast with 3 1/2 acres for less than what we were paying in rent for a 1,300 sq. ft. townhouse in CA. It's also a great place to raise a family if that's in your future...

• cb60130

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:18 AM

My vote goes for Phoenix. I have 4 miles of pavement before I hit dirt and can ride till I am out of gas. Cost of living is reasonable. Snow is a short drive away if you are in to that kind of thing but you never have to shovel it. Riding year round and 350 days of sunshine.

• jk9270

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:29 AM

If you are ok with winter sports, I would look at Marquette MI. Almost the entire Upper Peninsula of MI is state or federal land. Tons of riding!! Also great hunting, fishing, mountain biking, cool beaches that look like the Nor Cal coast. Way cheap housing prices (Giant houses with land for 300K) and a desperate need for medical pros of all kinds.

The down side is winters are long, and it is pretty far from a major city. But it is a great place over all.

• CRF420X

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Hey, DO I KNOW YOU???

I was born and raised on Long Island till 1990. Lived at the beach in NC till 1995. Moved to Dallas and lived in Cedar Hill till 2000. Finally landing in San Fran Bay Area.....

Like you, I can live almost anywhere I wanted. We considered Denver, Salt Lake City and the Pacific NorthWest to name a few. We traveled to all 3 places specifically to check and see if we would move there. We were looking primarily for places we could ski since your pretty much golden to ride if you live anywhere near a place you can ski.

Been to Denver many times and Denver sucks because its not really in the mountains although its mile high. Its still a 2 hour drive to go skiing and even though everything looks close, to get to the mountains takes a decent drive. Not sure about local riding opps but housing was affordable. Colorado Springs is a better choice even though its a military town IMHO. Same thing though, not exactly in the montains.

Salt Lake was awesome. The housing was affordable but the job market was weak in 2003 post dot com bust. We felt like strangers in a strange land, it is a hugely relegious town and we are so not. Park City was really nice though. Lots of riding everywhere, great skiing too with the champagne powder. I'd move to Salt Lake if I could get a decent job without being a Morman which wasn't happening in 2003..

As for the pacific NW. What they say about the rain is true, the rain also means snow and as a bonus you'd be that much closer to Whistler. I've never ridden there but once the greenies get done closing all of the riding areas in California and ban OHV altogther I'm sure they will be moving right up the coast.

Its funny because my wife and I were just planning our next relocation. We are very interested in what we generally call the Western Slope of the Rockies mostly.

The short list of places we want to check out his winter includes Fort Collins CO (my wife wants to look see even though its too far east for my taste but hey New Belgium Brewery is there and I love the Fat Tire), Boise Idaho, Spokane WA, Butte Montana, Missoula Montana, Grand Junction CO, Durango CO and this place I found on the map on a whim Montrose CO.

Good luck, choose well and avoid the big cities if you can. My mom has been a nurse for 34 years and my dad is a Pediatrician. I know the big cities pay better but after living in Dallas I'm sure you know why. However RN's at Stanford University Medical Center start at $120K I believe. I was shocked when I saw it. When my mom worked there in the 80's she was only pulling down $55K. Of course the average sale price on house within 100 miles of there is over $700K and my rent in 2001 was $2900 a month.

And don't rule out Reno NV..... We can't live there due to the proximity of inlaws but I heard its real nice and I know there are lots of places and lots of variety to ride.

• martinfan30

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:54 AM

Since you ride a plated xr650r look no further,Reno,Tahoe,Carson City,Gardnerville,Nevada.As good as gets at least for now although as more Cali's move here our area is changing as most are.No offence Cali dirt bikers you are welcome just leave the liberal tree huggers with you that move here and try to tell us how we should live.

:thumbsup: :busted: :busted: good call DR!

im in carson city and all the things mentioned by the post author are here, in LARGE quantities! i do all of that stufe here. the best part is the WIDE open places and killer riding. hunting, fishing mtbikng is all good.

• huffster

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I've been to Reno/Tahoe area several times and it is beautiful...and Mammoth is only a couple of hours away !

• desertlivin

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:03 AM

I live in the vegas area, If I could I would move up north to the Reno area
beautiful country and alot of good things to do close by.
Not only that NO STATE INCOME TAX..... :thumbsup:

• 07thommi

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:12 AM

[quote name='tgstoken']I live up here in Washington and I think that eastern WA would have everything you want. Summertime temps of 110, winter temps of -10 and everything in between. All the hunting, shooting, biking space in the world. Check out a place like Wenatchee or Leavenworth. I personally am not into big cities, there are just too many people. Up here in WA, you can go on a hike or a ride and never see one single other person all day long. We also have some roads with very nice scenery just begging to be ridden.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Hey Dude,

I have lived in Wenatchee, Spokane, and Hoquiam (near Olympia) WA. I grew up on the west side of Oregon and WA. I have also lived in Post Falls, ID (Couer D'Lane) and Grand Lake, CO.

I currently live in Baker City, OR.

If I were to move (and my wife is an RN also) I would move to Wenatchee, WA. No state income tax, ski area, Columbia River, and hundreds of miles of trails from Leavenworth to Chelan.

2nd choice would be Spokane area.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

I live in the Tri-Cities (well I am at college right now) and love it! I can be in the river in 10 minutes, riding my dirtbike in 30, and snowboarding in an hour and a half! We have a lot of variety in the PNW and for me Eastern Washington has it all!

Yet not everything is perfect, Washington and Oregon are folowing the liberal California bandwagon and are starting to adopt more of california's Dumb A$$ laws!:busted: :thumbsup: :worthy: :goofy: :ride: :busted: :D :lol: Idaho is not adopting the Cali laws, thus being more biker friendly.

That being said I still love Eastern WA and will suffer through the liberal BS and do my best to stop them from implementing more laws that will restrict my riding!

Best of luck to you!

-mt-

• k12

Posted December 05, 2007 - 12:41 PM

You should visit some of the choices and see for yourself. Each person will see the same thing and have a different opinion.

For my wife and I, we moved to Denver from PA because it has most of the things we are looking for, and we have friends here.

I can drive 1-2 hrs, and snowboard, ride, hike, raft, shoot, etc., and while I would prefer to live in the mountains, the commute to work would not be worth it for me.

Good luck and have fun deciding! If you visit Denver to check it out, drop me a line and I will round up a second bike and take you out riding in some of the most amazing country I personally have ever seen.

Later,

Kieran

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.