426 valve retainer question

2 replies to this topic
  • Hitman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:01 PM

I'm installing new intake valves in my 01 yz 426. after doing some research through some old forums i decided to use the stainless valves from the 2000 year model because of the price difference. i got the heavier springs for the 2000 ss valves also, but when i put the old valve spring retainer in the spring for the ss valves i noticed that the ss valve springs were slightly larger diameter. i looked up the part number and the 2000 and 2001 models list the same part number for the intake valve retainers. i was wondering if any one else has run across or noticed this. i dont believe it will be a problem i put the head back together and every thing looks fine (havent run it yet) but on the other hand i would really rather not drop a valve :thumbsup: . if any one has any advice i would appreiciate it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:11 PM

It isn't that unusual for the spring to overhang the edge of the retainers. More important is how well the ID of the spring fits the step on the retainer and how much the spring can move on the bottom. If at least half the width of the spring wire is always supported, it should not be a problem. As you say, the same part is used in both setups.

• Hitman

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks im gonna finishing putting it together now. i just wanted to get a second opinion first.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.