Doug Dubach still running 24mm offset clamps on 08 yz450

28 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted December 07, 2007 - 06:14 AM

yes the front tire is part of the equation also . but do not let this distract the question here. Why 24s on a 08 that is suppose to turn right in the first place.
But Dubach gets specaial rubber and if he is using 24s to get a 08 to turn even better I want to know why.

• MotoXT

Posted December 07, 2007 - 06:37 AM

yes the front tire is part of the equation also . but do not let this distract the question here. Why 24s on a 08 that is suppose to turn right in the first place.
But Dubach gets specaial rubber and if he is using 24s to get a 08 to turn even better I want to know why.

You seem pretty fired up over a small detail:excuseme: It's 1mm, and yes it can make a difference, but him running it does not mean the stock offset is wrong. There are many reasons why. Maybe Doubach runs more sag than is recommended, maybe he runs his fork relatively stiff, or his shock relatively soft etc... The stock set-up is great. These pros are pushing the limits of the bikes and they usually set their machines up so specific to their riding style that the average person would hate it. A small change like this on a pros bike should not have people questioning the stock set-up, or presupposing that there is a problem, which is how I read your post above. Read the latest MXA on what the riders had to say about Carmichael's set-up - it was nearly unrideable for them.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 07, 2007 - 06:54 AM

You seem pretty fired up over a small detail:excuseme: It's 1mm, and yes it can make a difference, but him running it does not mean the stock offset is wrong. There are many reasons why. Maybe Doubach runs more sag than is recommended, maybe he runs his fork relatively stiff, or his shock relatively soft etc... The stock set-up is great. These pros are pushing the limits of the bikes and they usually set their machines up so specific to their riding style that the average person would hate it. A small change like this on a pros bike should not have people questioning the stock set-up, or presupposing that there is a problem, which is how I read your post above. Read the latest MXA on what the riders had to say about Carmichael's set-up - it was nearly unrideable for them.

MotoXT thanks for the feedback - I am not fired up, just curious. Too many riders think that they have to emulate what a pro does like Dubach or what a magazines advice is - (if he does or has this, it must be what I need) I disagree with this logic as you do from your response. I know many riders that went out and spent 250-500 dollars for a clamp kit (based on what someone else did) that just did not make a better difference and then the bike was on the for sale list. Those are the ones here and elsewhere, that bitch and moan that they purchased and "tried a clamp it suxed, so I sold my yami and all yami sux now because they dont turn". It is a 100% personal issue based on ability, bike set up and track. I agree with you.
But there has been so much emotion regarding 06-08 YZF turning and clamps and axle relocators etc....that has made many longtime YZF owners and new ones ditch Yami for other brand based 99% on turning. So this topic does have some merit for understanding. I know that I went through testing almost every offset for my 06 before I settled on what works best for me. Just because I can make my 06 turn now - you may find that you can not.
I am waiting to hear from DRD on response to this question and will post this response here when I receive it.
:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Moto has a point. If there were one right solution, everyone would be running the same thing. Grant likes the stock set up the best, Doug likes 24's, and Chad Reed likes really small offsets like 22-17.

Clamp and axle offset affects trail, and trail and its effect on steering is a complicated, difficult to understand subject on a motorcycle because of the fact that a motorcycle banks through corners. But something you need to understand is that the element of steering geometry that most affects "push", or understeer, is head angle (rake angle, caster angle). MX bikes universally have too much of it (about 26.5-27.5 degrees) to corner really well compared to good flat track frames, which are generally around 22-25 degrees, or Speedway bikes, which are typically around 21. The shallower head angle is necessary on an MX bike to help the fork deal with hitting large obstacles at speed. Head angle isn't the only thing, of course, and weight distribution, trail, and rider style, among other things, all play a part.

Trail modifications can and do have an effect on understeer, but trail really does more to change the way the bike turns into a corner on its own at different speeds, and on whether it will want to turn into or out of ruts, etc.

What works for you is going to depend mostly on what you like.

Read:
http://www.thumperta...597#post3945597

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted December 07, 2007 - 11:16 AM

DRDs response to why would Doug prefers the 24mm on a 08?:thumbsup:

"The advantages are still there even on 08. It helps with front wheel traction. 1mm is nothing in the total length of the bike, however it has a larger effect on trail, and by increasing trail it helps to calm the bike in the mid turn area.Even with the other improvements on the 2008 the 24mm is an added bonus."

• MotoXT

Posted December 07, 2007 - 12:19 PM

MotoXT thanks for the feedback - I am not fired up, just curious. Too many riders think that they have to emulate what a pro does like Dubach or what a magazines advice is - (if he does or has this, it must be what I need) I disagree with this logic as you do from your response. I know many riders that went out and spent 250-500 dollars for a clamp kit (based on what someone else did) that just did not make a better difference and then the bike was on the for sale list. Those are the ones here and elsewhere, that bitch and moan that they purchased and "tried a clamp it suxed, so I sold my yami and all yami sux now because they dont turn". It is a 100% personal issue based on ability, bike set up and track. I agree with you.
But there has been so much emotion regarding 06-08 YZF turning and clamps and axle relocators etc....that has made many longtime YZF owners and new ones ditch Yami for other brand based 99% on turning. So this topic does have some merit for understanding. I know that I went through testing almost every offset for my 06 before I settled on what works best for me. Just because I can make my 06 turn now - you may find that you can not.
I am waiting to hear from DRD on response to this question and will post this response here when I receive it.
:thumbsup:

Thanks GA, I misunderstood your post, so apologize. I completely agree with your comments above and those were the same points I was trying to make - people freaking for no reason. And thanks for posting Dr. D's response above on the 24mm clamps. I wanted to try 24mm to see if there was improvement, but Rekluse has told me that they will not be making an e-axle for the '08, and the bike handles well enough for me that I'm not going to spend $500+ for clamps to try it.

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:32 PM

I've got something to throw into this puzzle. I was using the RG3 22.5 offset clamps on my 06 and loved them. Well today at work a good friend of mine showed up with some more Pro Circuit goodies. I now have a set of 22.5 Pro Circuit clamps for my 08. Only cost me 150.00. How could I say no? I was more interested in the rubber mounting aspect of the whole thing but my question is??????? How do you think 22.5's will work on the 08? I only race tracks so turning is key. I guess there is only one way to find out right? The clamps all ready came with the stem and lower bearing installed so finding out won't take to much time!!!!

• rickallen124

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yeah let us know what you think of the 22.5mm offset, the more information we have the better. At $150 you aren't going to loose much if anything if you don't like them and decide to sell them. Can you get me a set for $150?:banghead: hahaha

• todds924

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Yeah let us know what you think of the 22.5mm offset, the more information we have the better. At $150 you aren't going to loose much if anything if you don't like them and decide to sell them. Can you get me a set for $150?:banghead: hahaha

As a matter of fact.............. My buddy is a pro who gets sponsership from alot of companies. I got my Pro Circuit TI-4 GP system for 300 bucks....brand new. I picked up another one today also. Probably couldn't get another set of clamps for a few weeks and it would be more like 250.00. Thats still half price.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.