1 year only carb?

16 replies to this topic
  • rangerman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 04:43 PM

So, it does not have dual carbs, it has a single, but they don't make an after market choke plate for it!!! Meaning that this either could be a 1 year only carb OR the people who are selling the plate don't know what they are talking about. So, what should I do?

• cleonard

Posted December 04, 2007 - 06:03 PM

I don't have any choke in my bike (93 XR600). I removed the entire thing including the shaft. With a 68 pilot I don't have any issues starting it when it is above 50-55 or so. When it's colder I prime it by laying it most of the way over for a few seconds. That gives you a few tries to start it. If it fires and dies then I have to repeat. I've started it down to 30F with this method. When it's colder I don't usually ride.

If the bike is warm it starts no matter how cold it might be.

I thought all the XR600 single carbs were more or less the same.

My book says that the 87 is a dual carb. The single came in 88. If the carb is labeled PD8A then the 88 and on choke plate will fit. It may have been manufactured in 87, while it is actually a 88 model.

• rangerman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Where is the label at? Clearly on the side?

• rangerman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Looks like one to me. I have seen what dual carbs look like, and this definitely looks like just one carb sitting off of the engine. Maybe I am just an idiot though?Posted Image

O.K. I checked the label. It said PD
8AD????

Is that the same carb? Thanks

• rangerman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 07:36 PM

O.K. I took off all the stuff. Seat, gas tank, side plastic and I finally got to get a good look at the carb. I noticed it doesn't look like anything holds it on and it wiggle freely!!! What should I do?

• rangerman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:48 PM

Got the carb off, and the choke plate is perfect!!! I don't think I will replace it.

So, what should I do? Should I just clean it and put it back on? Thanks

• creeky

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:06 AM

From the photo, it looks like the clamp that holds the carb in the boot is missing. That would explain the looseness of the carb. Can't really tell from the photo, but it looks like the clamp for the airbox is missing also.

• cleonard

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:59 AM

+1 on both clamps missing. You might be able to get by with regular hoseclamps, but the OEM Honda ones will work a lot better. Without those clamps it is sure to be leaking air. Put the clamps on and it will run a lot better. They are critical parts.

That is the same carb used on the 88-2000 XR600. The last letter changed over the years. The 88 was a PD8AA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rangerman

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:17 PM

Oh, that kind of sucks. Oh well. Anyway. I will probably use some regular hose clamps for now. Where do I get some factory clamps?

• creeky

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Try an auto parts store, our local NAPA store has narrow hose clamps that fit the carb boots.

• rangerman

Posted December 05, 2007 - 05:25 PM

I will. Thanks. I was told that this bike has 89 parts too. I guess the guy had some good parts off of an 89 and switched them to this bike...now I have an 87/89 xr600r....woot woot!!!

• dmvmechanics

Posted December 15, 2007 - 10:37 PM

did you have any probs with it leaning out at wide open throttle?

• Bennito

Posted December 16, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Oh, that kind of sucks. Oh well. Anyway. I will probably use some regular hose clamps for now. Where do I get some factory clamps?

Your local store
bikebandit.com
yamahaoftroy.com

as I recall the two internet sites for OEM parts are pretty much list price.

• exaresix

Posted December 16, 2007 - 02:58 PM

You can get oem clamps delivered to your door from this site:

http://www.hondapart...iche_select.asp

Generally cheaper than your local dealer, and no state tax, but you have to pay shipping.

• rangerman

Posted December 16, 2007 - 03:09 PM

did you have any probs with it leaning out at wide open throttle?

Yes, it acts really weird. It kind of cuts out I guess. Not smooth at all. I don't know if it is lean but it kind of sputters when I let off.

• philipstjohn

Posted December 17, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Get those clamps back on and I am sure you will notice a difference in your bikes performance. :banghead:

• TomTnWlkrs

Posted December 27, 2007 - 06:53 AM

I went thru the hassle of the choke plate with my XR600R. The are prone to breaking off the bottom half of the choke plate which mine did. XR's Only has an aftermarket choke plate that is a one piece billet. I ordered and it fit great. When taking off the plate, don't let the shaft go and spin freely. I did this and couldn't get the shaft spring to rewind. Hence a new carb.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.