Muffler Packing

33 replies to this topic
  • almostinvincible119

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:11 PM

what about for carbon exhausts? do you need to use a special packing?

• KJ790

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:55 PM

what about for carbon exhausts? do you need to use a special packing?

Nope, just normal four stroke packing, but you want to make sure you keep good packing in it.

• almostinvincible119

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Nope, just normal four stroke packing, but you want to make sure you keep good packing in it.

i guess i dont understand how i can put 15 dollar exhaust packing in a carbon can when White Bros wants 60 bucks for a packing kit...

whats the deal there?

• 642MX

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:28 PM

i guess i dont understand how i can put 15 dollar exhaust packing in a carbon can when White Bros wants 60 bucks for a packing kit...

whats the deal there?

White Brothers wants a fortune for everything, remember what you paid for the exhaust?.....

• almostinvincible119

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:45 PM

actually it was given to me, but sponsorship is up and i really dont wanna pay 60 bucks for packing. i wonder if i could just use the FMF stuff

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:47 PM

whats the deal there?

One of two things is at work when you see something like that. Either they don't want to sell it, or they think that enough people will buy it at that price to warrant the trouble. Marketing philosophies vary. Some will go with a low price, hoping for high sales volume, others will go for the biggest killing they can make on each sale. If no one ever pays $60 for it, they'll bring the price down or drop the product.

Take a guess what Yamaha wants for their kit for a stock '06 pipe....

• 642MX

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:51 PM

actually it was given to me, but sponsorship is up and i really dont wanna pay 60 bucks for packing. i wonder if i could just use the FMF stuff

Free pipes are cool. And yes, you can use the FMF stuff in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:26 AM

Probably a big pile of cash cos they don't really want to carry it.
OTOH I got a free muffler packing kit when I purchased my 05 a couple of years ago..

• USED YZ426F

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:34 AM

It looks like $21 list for the kit, maybe $16 online. I'd almost pay that for the convenience but they don't list one for DRD pipes, and DRD wants $30 for theirs. $7 for the FMF sheet is a big difference.

Cycle Gear had the FMF sheet for $10 so I got a package.
Drilled out the rivets at the front of the muffler, pulled it apart and discarded the old packing. Wrapped the FMF material around the pipe and put it pack together. The only trouble was getting the exhaust pipe to line up with the outlet on the muffler. Replaced the rivets and you can't tell that it was ever apart. It actually took longer to get the muffler off and back on the bike than to repack it.
All in all, this was a very easy and quick job. Almost too easy and quick, I am wondering if I screwed something up.

Thanks for all the advice on what to get. This is definitely the best site I have found when it comes to getting good info for my bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Probably a big pile of cash cos they don't really want to carry it.

Interesting how bikes sold outside the US come with a big box of extras.

Retail on the OEM packing is .... $125 :thumbsup:

• Irregular Pulse

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:28 PM

I bought a package of the Red stuff for like 15 bucks I think at my yamaha dealer. They never mentioned anything about a OEM kit for 125! Next time I think I'll go for the tube the slides on and pulls out. That red stuff is ITCHY!

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:55 PM

Next time I think I'll go for the tube the slides on and pulls out. That red stuff is ITCHY!

That's why I said,...

Wear long sleeves and gloves.

• BradThomas

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:04 PM

I hate itchy stuff, especially fiberglass, I avoid it like the plague. Ive been dreading having to do this to my 250 2 stroke but after reading this it doesnt sound bad at all.

• MotoGoalie

Posted December 07, 2007 - 08:26 AM

I used fiberglass pipe insulation wrapping. I get that for free. Wear gloves, long sleeves and eye protection.

Just call me cheap, stupid and probably gonna set my bike on fire:busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.