Muffler Packing

33 replies to this topic
  • USED YZ426F

Posted December 04, 2007 - 07:17 AM

I want to repack the stock muffler on my '00 YZ 426, but the bike shop only has packing material for 2S mufflers in stock.

Is there a difference between 2S and 4S muffler packing?:thumbsup: Any suggestions on what kind of packing I should get?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 07:34 AM

4T packing can stand more heat, for one thing. Find a shop that sells the FMF 4-stroke packing. It reasonably priced, and works well.

• USED YZ426F

Posted December 04, 2007 - 08:20 AM

4T packing can stand more heat, for one thing. Find a shop that sells the FMF 4-stroke packing. It reasonably priced, and works well.

Thanks Grayracer:thumbsup:

• GENE426

Posted December 04, 2007 - 08:24 AM

TT store has it

• BergArabia

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:59 AM

sorry for the ignorant question but, aside from noise changes will repacking the muffler give any performance benefit.
I don't care about the noise, over here the louder the better..

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Actually, a freshly packed muffler will perform better than one without packing, or with a big gap in the packing. With good packing, the muffler behaves more like a straight pipe. If the packing is too loose or partially missing, exhaust gas will bounce around in the outer chamber of the muffler, and possibly cause some interference with the way the gas is supposed to travel.

• USED YZ426F

Posted December 04, 2007 - 02:43 PM

If the packing is too loose or partially missing, exhaust gas will bounce around in the outer chamber of the muffler, and possibly cause some interference with the way the gas is supposed to travel.

So, should I pack it really tight? Or just enough packing material to fill the void?

• rickallen124

Posted December 04, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Moose sells a kit for repacking mufflers. It comes on a roll of paper, like toilet paper, that you slide on the core and then you just pull the paper out. It's pillow type packing and makes it really easy. Drill out the rivets where the can meets the pipe, pull the can off, discard the old packing, slide new packing on the core,remove cardboar, put can back over the packing/core and re-rivet the can. Oh yeah, use high temp silicone at the sealing area where the can rivets to the exhaust. And yes it will improve performance as grayracer stated.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 03:07 PM

So, should I pack it really tight? Or just enough packing material to fill the void?

If you choose loose sheet packing like the FMF kit, you should be able to use the entire package in the stock can. Wrap it "fairly tight".

Packing mufflers isn't fun. Wear long sleeves and gloves.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 04, 2007 - 04:29 PM

http://www.silentsport.com/

this stuff works well

if you have never done this - buy the prefab muffler packing roll from Moose

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 04, 2007 - 04:44 PM

Find a shop that sells the FMF 4-stroke packing. It reasonably priced, and works well.

FMF makes 2 different 4-stroke packings. The red loose stuff is a pain to deal with. They make a roll of white stuff similiar to 2-stroke packing except its real heavy duty, and its more like what the factory uses.

Don't use 2-stroke packing, it won't last more than a few hours.

When I pack a muffler, I wrap it real tight and use wire to secure the packing to the core.

I hate rivets too, instead of using the rivets, I use license plate screws that can be purchased at any auto parts store. The license plate screws have a huge taper and tighten right up and they won't rattle out. And you can't really see them because you don't have to remove the end cap to repack the stock silencer.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:08 PM

FMF makes ... a roll of white stuff similiar to 2-stroke packing except its real heavy duty, and its more like what the factory uses.

That's the stuff I was talking about.

• 642MX

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:15 PM

That's the stuff I was talking about.

I thought you meant the good stuff, I just wanted to save the guy some aggravation if he bought the red stuff. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:19 PM

I just wanted to save the guy some aggravation if he bought the red stuff. :thumbsup:

I've never seen anyone carry that. I'd guess it's unpopular. Sounds like more fun than I'm ready to have.

• 642MX

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I've never seen anyone carry that. I'd guess it's unpopular. Sounds like more fun than I'm ready to have.

Here it is (its on the right). It looks like a red blob...LOL. http://www.fmfracing...7&ItemID=011393

• pj151

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:33 PM

It is easy to use the single roll by moose, I have used it many times works good and this is the company that makes it for moose.
http://www.racetools...rimary=products

• stillsun

Posted December 04, 2007 - 08:48 PM

We've always used stainless steel wool packing for our mufflers, it last longer by not getting blown out or deteriorating from the exhaust/moisture etc.... some will say that it weighs more but with the small amount you're talking about it really doesn't matter to me, we're talking ounces in difference here. I just repacked one of the bikes about a week ago and it had been a year since I last repacked it, I should have left it alone it didn't even need it yet.

Just some thoughts...

J

• USED YZ426F

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I will look for the white stuff that comes as a roll from FMF.

My local Yamaha dealer is completely useless unless you want to buy a new bike. Once you do, they become completely useless. They carry nothing to maintain the bikes, only tons of rider accessories.

There is a Cycle Gear store not too far off my normal route home and I am going to see if they have anything in stock. Else I have to go clear across town to the Honda dealer, but will call before .

Took the muffler off the 426 last night and am planning on drilling the rivets out tonight. Need to either root through the nut/bolt drawer or get some SS rivets when I put it back together.

• KJ790

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I'm a fan of the moose packing. It's cheap and very easy to use. It makes repacking a silencer a 5 minute job with no mess or struggle.

• grayracer513

Posted December 05, 2007 - 01:35 PM

It looks like $21 list for the kit, maybe $16 online. I'd almost pay that for the convenience but they don't list one for DRD pipes, and DRD wants $30 for theirs. $7 for the FMF sheet is a big difference.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.