Valve clearance on DR650

26 replies to this topic
  • UglyDL

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:35 AM

If you've checked the valves on your DR650, how far out of spec were they? How many miles were on the bike when you checked them?

I'm gonna crack mine open later this month, just wondering what's "normal."

• lowercasee

Posted December 04, 2007 - 06:24 AM

I checked mine at about 5000 miles and they were within spec.

• Road Rational

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:44 AM

I checked mine at 7,500 and they were within spec. Dealer says they rarely change.

• UPSam

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Checked at 500, 5000, 10k.

I adjusted them at both 5000, 10k to the loose end of spec.

• cashneno

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:53 AM

I checked mine on my first service(600 miles) and they were out of spec.

• dflow

Posted December 05, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I adjusted mine at 1K they were .006 & .008 and again at 7.5K were all loose. Spec. is .003-.005 and .007-.009. Loose is better than tight but I'm hoping they will stabilize soon.

I'm curious if those of you doing your own adjustments do them in pairs or one valve at a time. The manual I have makes no mention of this detail yet all others I've done require doing them in pairs. Any opinions? The end result is very different.

• UglyDL

Posted December 05, 2007 - 06:14 PM

dflow- I know it's a rediculous question, but did the bike feel any different after you adjusted the valves?

• Ragge_

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:01 AM

Can't say in miles, but when i got mine, it hadnt been much used since new, six years old and probally never really loved, the valve's were a litle to tight.

• Clear-a-Path

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:53 AM

I did mine at 600 and then checked them at 2000. They were loose at 600 but did not change. I will check them soon at about 5000 but expect no change.

Oh, i noticed no change in how the bike felt or ran.

• dflow

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:51 PM

dflow- I know it's a rediculous question, but did the bike feel any different after you adjusted the valves?

Not at all. It would have to be way out to feel it. Unless they close up that is.

I would really like to know if anyone can answer my earlier question about method.

• wood_man

Posted December 06, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Did mine at 3500 miles and they were within specs.

• NordieBoy

Posted December 07, 2007 - 01:55 AM

Just did mine after 26000km of ownership and the intakes I left alone.
The exhaust I adjusted from .17 (tight end of spec) to .20mm.

• cashneno

Posted December 07, 2007 - 05:57 PM

I adjusted mine at 1K they were .006 & .008 and again at 7.5K were all loose. Spec. is .003-.005 and .007-.009. Loose is better than tight but I'm hoping they will stabilize soon.

I'm curious if those of you doing your own adjustments do them in pairs or one valve at a time. The manual I have makes no mention of this detail yet all others I've done require doing them in pairs. Any opinions? The end result is very different.

In pairs eh? I think that would be more difficult and more room for error. Trying to hold everything in place to tighten and what not. I have the kit from kietech.com so I not familiar of doing them in pairs. I can see how it can be done, but doing them one at a time then rechecking after tightening is what I do. Seems easy enough that way for me.

So what the process to do them in pairs? Special guages??

• dflow

Posted December 07, 2007 - 07:50 PM

No special tools. You just use 2 feeler gauges. It accounts for the running tolerances between the rockers and shaft. If you set the valves seperately the end result actually ends up being tighter when both valves are under load. I have worked on many multi-valve bikes and all have spec'd. setting them in pairs. It is more difficult to do but once you have done it a couple times it's not bad.

• beaverspork

Posted December 08, 2007 - 08:55 AM

I did mine at roughly 750 miles and they were just on the loose side of the specs, I left em there as looser is better than tighter.

• Clear-a-Path

Posted December 08, 2007 - 11:41 AM

I'm not sure i totally follow the "pair" idea?..Are you saying because the rocker has two arms that the tolerance between the arms could cause the clearances to be off?

• cashneno

Posted December 09, 2007 - 02:06 PM

If you set the valves seperately the end result actually ends up being tighter when both valves are under load.

plz enlighten us....

• mxrob

Posted December 10, 2007 - 05:44 AM

plz enlighten us....

One rocker arm two valves. Any play between the rocker arm pivot and rocker arm shaft will be taken up on the valve you are adjusting. This would dip the other adjuster downwards toward the valve.

But! Unless you have a really thrashed engine with lots of slop between the pivot shaft and the rocker (you know, like from running that cr*ppy dino oil :busted: ) we only are talking maybe .0005 inches of possible change. The tolerance is extremely tight on the rocker and shaft. I'd bet the lions share of guys don't get their valves adjusted within .0005 of each other anyway. :banghead:

• Benrod327

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:05 AM

Is valve noise normal during start up? I adjusted them and can't remember if that is normal to have some valve noise during start up, but goes away after it's running.

• UPSam

Posted December 10, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Is valve noise normal during start up? I adjusted them and can't remember if that is normal to have some valve noise during start up, but goes away after it's running.

Yes it is normal.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.