no kill switch?!?

10 replies to this topic
  • laba

Posted April 01, 2002 - 07:54 AM

I have this weird "problem". There's no kill switch on my bike... well at least not anywhere I can find it.
The bike's Yamaha WR400F 1998

• lewichris

Posted April 01, 2002 - 08:38 AM

interesting.

• Taffy

Posted April 01, 2002 - 12:17 PM

i've heard of this model. it's a very rare japan only model.

the military ordered them and only put enough fuel in for the outward journey...

the riders were members of a group calling themselves "the divine wind".

apparently they were used in japanese game shows.

Taffy

• laba

Posted April 02, 2002 - 06:02 AM

So, guess I'll just have to keep using the compression switch...

• lewichris

Posted April 02, 2002 - 06:16 AM

Ust use a push button and connect to where your manual says there is a kill switch attached. Should be in the wiring diagram of the manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • laba

Posted April 02, 2002 - 06:18 AM

Thanks.
Now I just have to wait 3 more weeks to get my manual =)

• fershy

Posted April 02, 2002 - 06:28 AM

It is probably because the previous owner disconnected it after a crash or something. If you pull your tank you will probably see where it is supposed to connect into the wiring harness.
Sounds to me like everyone is being a tad facetious to your question as an April fools joke?
fershy

• laba

Posted April 02, 2002 - 06:51 AM

Well, people tend to think every newbie's question to be April fools joke... especially on April =)
But seriously.. this isn't a joke.
I just don't have the red kill switch button on my handle bars. And I just removed my tank, so I could change the spark plug, and now I have to wait until tomorrow, to get the right kind of tool to unscrew it.

• wrsm

Posted April 04, 2002 - 11:53 AM

Kill switch connects under tank to two bullet connectors
black and white wire is the kill wire
black wire is earth wire

HTH
Kevin

• Taffy

Posted April 05, 2002 - 12:10 AM

laba

DO YOU HAVE THE PROPER SWITCH GEAR?

IF SO YOU HAVE THE LOGO OF A PAIR OF EAR MUFFS/DEFENDERS ON ONE OF THE BUTTONS.

CHECK IT OUT.

(yes i was shouting folks but i have asked him once before :D :) )

Taffy

• neWRiver

Posted April 05, 2002 - 07:47 AM

Sounds like you REALLY need to get hold of and study that manual. The OEM manual covers all this stuff in good detail.

Also, it is quite possible that the wiring has been modified. I think Taffy is suggesting that you may have a dual sport switch (such as to operate turn signals) in which case the "kill" function would likely be wired into a button on that "proper switch gear." If it is in fact wired differently than from the factory, you will be in for some detective work to sort out the wiring. The manual is still a good starting point, though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.