Best rust removal method?

13 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:17 PM

I know this is not XR related so maybe it will get deleted or moved but I know you guys are very knowledegable. I was recently given a 72 CB450 that I'm going to part out. It's been sitting in a barn for 27 years so it's got it's share of rust and corrosion. What's the best way to get some of the metal parts restored so I can put them on ebay? I heard theres a way to make an electrical /chemical bath setup. I was wondering if there's any kind of small sandblast gun setup I can atatch to my air compressor. Any ideas?

• meyermetal

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Easy Off oven cleaner. I used it back in the day of bare metal 2 smoke pipes.

• cleonard

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Electrolysis is the best method. Acid works, but dissolves some metal in the process. I have not tried this yet, but I plan to do so in the next few weeks. It can only be used on iron or steel though.

http://www3.telus.ne...olyticrust.html

http://www.kawasakim...d-gas-tank.html

• dfesmire99

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:40 PM

I know this is not XR related so maybe it will get deleted or moved but I know you guys are very knowledegable. I was recently given a 72 CB450 that I'm going to part out. It's been sitting in a barn for 27 years so it's got it's share of rust and corrosion. What's the best way to get some of the metal parts restored so I can put them on ebay? I heard theres a way to make an electrical /chemical bath setup. I was wondering if there's any kind of small sandblast gun setup I can atatch to my air compressor. Any ideas?

Use a 50/50 mix of phosphoric acid to remove rust from steel. It can be used on nickel/chrome plate w/o attacking the nickel or chrome. It will attack zinc, aluminum, zinc die cast but used carefully...maybe 5%/vol it will clean up those metals very well. Paint soon after the cleanup as the phosphoric acid leaves a "micro" etch on the base metal that allows paint to bond well w/ the base metal.

• Bibleman

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. I wonder if phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in Naval Jelly. I knew some guys who used it "back in the day".

• rangerman

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I heard por-15 is about the best, it will get rid of the rust, then paint it. Very good product. Used on cars and trucks. http://www.por15.com...sp?grp=1&dept=1

• NFS179

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:13 PM

por-15 is good stuff but it really sucks to put on. and make sure you're wearing junk clothes, because once that stuff is on fabric it doesn't come off. Don't get me wrong, its a pretty easy system but there is limited colors and a little time put into getting rid of the rust makes the parts look a lot better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtrider115

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I guess im old school I still like dry household cleanser a wet rag and elbow grease.

• cleonard

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. I wonder if phosphoric acid is the active ingredient in Naval Jelly. I knew some guys who used it "back in the day".

It is.

• Bibleman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 04:49 AM

Thanks again for the wealth of info guys. I knew I was asking the right bunch:prof:

• scalejockey

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:33 AM

I had a old hodaka that i restored last year and tried a soda blasting to rid the rust off the chrome. It works excellent!

• Motosprtman

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:18 AM

www.rusteco.com and www.eastwoodco.com both have excellent (albeit pricey producst for rust removal)

• BeeDub

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:34 AM

When I had some rust on my headpipe, I bought some Brillo type pads at Home Depot, can't remember which section. They come in different grits and a couple of them are specific to cleaning up metal. It worked great, and the bike looked brand new when I was done...

• Jbo

Posted December 11, 2007 - 06:06 PM

I have used Naval Jelly, It eats rust away, works great.

jbo

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.