MXA jan Issue tests Grant Langston's 08 450

32 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:35 AM

this is the truth, racing is a very mental sport. any pro sport is a mental game.

That's why so many races are won by using black feathers.

i was just taking a shot at gray for being an "old school" racer, stuck in his ways.

I'm not stuck anywhere. I just insist that people be able to explain how something improves the function of a motorcycle in the specific way that they say it does, particularly when logic and experience argue against their claims. But we aren't going to re-debate that in this thread.

• bajamoto

Posted December 04, 2007 - 09:55 AM

. But we aren't going to re-debate that in this thread.

hell no, i can barely type after taking a beating in the desert this weekend...

• DPW

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:33 AM

aren't you guys talking about the oil COOLER, not oil filter?
What you're seeing is the oil pump cover which replaces the stock oil filter cover.
The arcticle says it was made by Pro Circuit, but I called them today and they have no plans to make it available.
I did check with PWR a few days ago,and they just came out with their oil cooler kit for the Yam 250F's, and say their kit for the 450F's should be available in a few weeks

thanks for the info...finally read the article...sweet bike! I want that exhaust...just for the bling factor...:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:36 AM

The first thing I noticed when I first looked at the 08 is how the front wheel axle is relocated farther back - it is that noticeable. Yamaha has had years of playing the offset clamp routine....now they pride themselves on offering light weight stronger stock triple clamps - if they decided 25mm is the way as they have for several years - something else had to change....and that my friends is why the front axle is relocated on the 08.

Be happy that you do not need to fork out 250 -400 bucks for clamps:thumbsup:

Now lets see what dumb ole MXA has to spew about a bike they would have bashed in the first place......if GL did not win the Nationals. :thumbsup:

• adamdf

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:56 AM

Now lets see what dumb ole MXA has to spew about a bike they would have bashed in the first place......if GL did not win the Nationals. :thumbsup:

Exactly what i thought. I didn't read the one where they apparently bashed the 08 YZF but i heard about it. It is a bit wierd how they did that. MXA seems to do the most thorough tests out of most of the mags but sometimes i wonder where they pull some of their statements from.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 12:17 PM

MXA seems to do the most thorough tests out of most of the mags but sometimes i wonder where they pull some of their statements from.

(+) MXA tests the bikes as is, but then works with them as an actual owner would, adjusting suspension, sag, swapping bars, tires, gearing, etc. This gives a much more realistic picture of the test bike.

(+) The Wrecking Crew is composed entirely of racers, and mostly of Vet racers a couple of whom were professional test riders for many years.

(+) They test the bike at tracks, and usually for several weeks at a run, again, giving a better picture of the test subject.

(+) They say what they think, and they don't care who doesn't like it.

(-) They have their own kind of institutionalized viewpoint that seems at once to be different than others, and can appear to be a kind of a bias that they aren't able to objectively set aside.

(-) Their technical write ups are shallow and seem targeted to a 15 year-old audience at times.

(-) None of the mags run a spec sheet with things like weight, dimensions, and performance actually measured, the way Cycle World always did.

Overall, they are one of the better ones, but none of them are really that useful anymore.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamdf

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Gray, i can agree completely on your findings with MXA. As i said, sometimes their opinions just seem so far off from what a lot of the guys here on thumpertalk think. This can be due to the fact that MXA does not let the excitement of a new bike sway their opinion, and they stick to facts and state them (i hope this is the case but we wont ever know). Or it can be due to the fact that they simply want their articles to appear to be elaborative and full of info, when really it can be bs a lot of the time.

Who will ever know? To be honest, i wouldnt care what they say if i had the opportunity to test all the bikes myself. Maybe one day i'll be so fortunate.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 05:23 PM

This can be due to the fact that MXA does not let the excitement of a new bike sway their opinion, and they stick to facts and state them (i hope this is the case but we wont ever know). Or it can be due to the fact that they simply want their articles to appear to be elaborative and full of info, when really it can be bs a lot of the time.

Sometimes, it looks like it's because their minds are made up already. :thumbsup:

• adamdf

Posted December 04, 2007 - 07:01 PM

Sometimes, it looks like it's because their minds are made up already. :busted:

Good point :thumbsup:

• Drfletcherdc

Posted December 04, 2007 - 08:27 PM

I should sell the 06 and 07 and get another 08, first WORC race is in january!

Good luck with you first Worcs race. I've done the one if Phoenix and it takes a toll on you.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:59 PM

While we're all looking at the bike, does the tank look oversized to anyone but me? Look at the area around the cap.

• adamdf

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:47 AM

While we're all looking at the bike, does the tank look oversized to anyone but me? Look at the area around the cap.

I think in the article they had mentioned it was an aluminum tank, maybe slightly oversized. I'll have to check when i get home to confirm that.

• 917 rider

Posted December 05, 2007 - 03:38 PM

yep 1.5 larger alm. tank

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.