Best slip on for a stock L....???

19 replies to this topic
  • SteveDubo

Posted December 03, 2007 - 02:11 PM

Got a 96 L.I want a slip on that i dont have to re jet or anything.Thanks in advance...Was thinking of the xr's only..

• Frank ZX

Posted December 03, 2007 - 02:18 PM

The main reason most want a slip on is for more performance,more performance means processing more air and fuel.A factory XRL is not getting enough of ether.I have a FMF factory 4 titanium and I like it.If it were me,I would do Dave's mods and a good quality slip-on like FMF,Pro circuit,etc.and a Uni air filter.Then you will love your bike.Hope this helps.

• donkey08

Posted December 03, 2007 - 02:35 PM

Steve,
I put the XR's only on and have no complaints. Simple easy an sounds good when youhit throttle. I do not know how it compares to FMF, Big Gun and White Bros.
Kevin

• SteveDubo

Posted December 03, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Steve,
I put the XR's only on and have no complaints. Simple easy an sounds good when youhit throttle. I do not know how it compares to FMF, Big Gun and White Bros.
Kevin

did you do daves mods?or a jet it?What are you running for an air filte?

• AtomicGeo

Posted December 03, 2007 - 04:17 PM

WB exhaust with either the E2 Series or their new XCR. I put the XCR on mine (no rejetting required - they claimed works with stock jetting - for mine it worked as advertised and no disc tuning!). I hear the XRsOnly is REALLY loud. Just IMHO.

• percyco

Posted December 03, 2007 - 04:27 PM

White Bros. XCR........good sound but not killer loud . $236.00 on Ebay

• Old Dog

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:02 PM

When I was running the stock carb on my desmogged L, with a K & N air filter, I used a Pro Circuit 490 and it ran great. When I pulled the stock carb off and put on an Edelbrock Pumper I swapped out the K & N for a UNI and the Pro Circuit 490 for a Big Gun Evo-X and it ran even better. :thumbsup: :busted: :busted:

• breweryrat

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:39 PM

I've been trying to get an XR's only pipe for a month now but they haven't been in stock.

I'm thinking of getting the Staintune now for the sound and no repacking.

• breweryrat

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:42 AM

Well forget the Staintune. I was told by the dealer that it doesn't have any kind of spark arrestor and won't meet US Forestry approval.

• TexasXR650L

Posted December 04, 2007 - 12:39 PM

I put on a white bros E2 without a rejet, ran fine, just adjust your mixture. Sounded great to! Never used the screen either!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • percyco

Posted December 04, 2007 - 01:28 PM

A friend of mine may have a White Bros. XCR that is only a couple months old for sale. He owns two xr650l's and just bought a xr650r. One of the L's is being put back stock and a almost new White Bros. will be up for grabs as will the 650 L. Shoot him a email, fastfreddy_44@yahoo.com

• ericgoxr

Posted December 05, 2007 - 02:00 PM

Old Dog, did the edelbrock carb fit on the L, they only seem to make it for an R. Also, will it be faster than with daves mods, or a dynojet kit? thanks
eric

• donkey08

Posted December 05, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Steve,
I did dave's mods, jetted, de-smogged, de-snorkeled and am running uni filter, really helped with starting from cold and removing choke. Also popping sounds quit when decelerating.
Kevin

• Old Dog

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:09 PM

Old Dog, did the edelbrock carb fit on the L, they only seem to make it for an R. Also, will it be faster than with daves mods, or a dynojet kit? thanks
eric

Yup, Barnum's Pro is where I bought mine, but I just went to the site and see that their listing for it has been removed. You can see it listed on the Edelbrock site here though. I didn't do Dave's mods, I went from stock straight to the Edelbrock, so I can't make an informed comparison. I can say however, that compared to the stock carb, it's a night and day difference. There's no lag in the throttle response now, it's all smooth and strong right from idle to full throttle. Out of all the mods I've done, going from a stock carb to the Edelbrock was the most noticeable improvement in performance. I wouldn't go back to stock for all the tea in china. :thumbsup:

• dirtrider115

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have xr's only pipe on my 650 r and it works good but is to loud even in the desert. Im going to try their quiet core and see if that works to tone it down if not it goes on ebay.NOISE IS GOING TO KILL THIS SPORT,it should be our main concern only a handfull can ride these bikes to potential anyways.

• cefox

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:38 AM

I run the White Bros E2 on my L. Excellent power throughout the range. As far as not rejetting, these bikes are to lean stock, with ANY slipon it just gets worse.Engine temps increase,oil life decreases and engine wear increases. I'd definitely do a rejet,I've had better results with Dave's mod than with the DynoJet kit,Also the FMF powerbomb header is a good upgrade. I actually picked up 2MPG after installing it with across the board power increase and noticably lower noise levels from idle all the way to the top. Anyone else see an improvement in milage with the power bomb?
JMO

• breweryrat

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:42 AM

cefox, are you running the xr600 powerbomb header on your L? Any mods to make it fit? Bolts right up to the E2?

Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:47 PM

im with cefox. i run an e2 and an fcr 41 carb now.

DO rejet after putting on an after market slip on, ESPECIALLY with a big header!

you will cause VERY lean running, hi temps and ultimately poss eng meltdown.

• SteveDubo

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the info guys,im still kind of undecided as to what to do,but ive got all winter to think about it...

• cefox

Posted December 14, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Yes I'm running the XR600 powerbomb . It actually fits better than the stock head pipe with way more clearance between the pipe and the oil lines.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.