Switching to 19in rear wheel

5 replies to this topic
  • allanwessels

Posted December 03, 2007 - 09:49 AM

I noticed all of the MX bikes are 19in in the rear but the 'off-road' bikes are 18in, why is that? What are the implications of upgrading my wr450 to a 19in rear?

Thx

• johnnyjeep

Posted December 03, 2007 - 09:51 AM

From what I understand, the 19 is lighter, but for desert type riding (aka not groomed track), the 18 with more sidewall will resist pinch flats.

John in Vegas

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 03, 2007 - 12:56 PM

the 19 is lighter, but for desert type riding (aka not groomed track), the 18 with more sidewall will resist pinch flats.

this is correct

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted December 03, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Unless you are riding primarily MX, stay with the 18". They put the 18" on there for a reason, it will better withstand the punishment off road riding puts on the wheels... it's usually the guys with 19" rears that want to swap to a 18":ride:

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 03, 2007 - 01:05 PM

There is no advantage to a 19" rear wheel on an off road bike. I could understand wanting to switch to a 19" if 18" tire selection was crappy, but it isn't :thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted December 03, 2007 - 08:03 PM

The 19" rear wheel was implemented for MX performance, i.e., lighter weight and less flex in the sidewall for cornering stability. The downside to the 19" is less rim protection and less flex in the sidewall meaning less traction on roots, rocks, and generally any ungroomed surface. There is also a greater selection of 18" tires (including trials tires). I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody competing in the GNCC, WEC, WORCS, etc. (basically anything other than MX) that is using a 19" rear wheel.

If you really want to go to a 19" just post up in the YZ forum that you want to do a trade...you will get bombarded with offers!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.