Broken fibula

17 replies to this topic
  • crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hi Dr Mark
I took a trip to Canada last summer and on the 2nd day, I jammed my ankle on a rock while going around a corner.
My ankle immediately swelled but after a few days, seemed to get better, even though the bruising was quite extensive.
Ankle continued to get better but hurt after long walks or running, so I went to the doctor last week and found out that I have a spiral fracture of the fibula about 1.5" up from where the fibula attaches to the ankle.
I was really surprised that it has been completely broken for the last five months, as it has not affected my walking or riding abilities; only giving me some discomfort.
I have an appointment to meet with the orthopedic surgeon on the 10th of December and I am sure that he will want to perform surgery and install screws.
My question to you is if you think that there are going to be any repercussions from fixing it after all this time? Will the bone still heal normally or will it be slower to heal? Any ideas as to how long it will be before I am weight bearing after the surgery?

Thanks for any info you can give!!:thumbsup:

• DrMark

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:55 PM

The fracture is certainly healed. If it was untreated and healed incorrectly, the heald fracture needs to be taken down, set properly and fixed again. This is above the pay grade of the average orthopaedic surgeon.

Post the most recent X-ray.

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:17 PM

I don't think it ever healed and is still broke in two.
What do you think?
Posted Image

• DrMark

Posted December 02, 2007 - 10:09 PM

I would lke to see the other views. I think that the boe is at least partially healed, and if in good position, I would be inclined to leave it alone.

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:45 AM

Thanks Dr Mark!!!

I am traveling this week, so I won't be able to get the other views until the end of the week. In the meantime, it appears that maybe the fibula and tibia are touching each other? Could this be the reason for the pain that I get after walking long distances? (Like deer hunting over the weekend)

I am just so amazed that I have been able to carry on with my life with this broken fibula. I have not had any instability or difficulty walking other than the pain. Is it common for people to be able to walk around normally with a broken fib?

Thanks for your replies! It's just so great to have a professional such as you on my favorite dirt bike oriented website! This site rocks :thumbsup:

• DrMark

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:53 AM

Its not so common to be getting along this well, and I don't know if I have ever seen a fibula fracture that refusled to heal, although healing a non anatomic position, and causing some trouble on that basis is common.

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 03, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Certainly makes sense and I want to thank you for taking the time to respond so quickly. I will have the other views for you at the end of the week! :thumbsup:

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 08, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Hi again, Dr Mark
Here are the three views that I have available. I go to see my Ortho on Monday but what is your impression?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• DrMark

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:24 PM

If that was fresh, I would have operated on it. If that is the way it looks after you have been walking on it for months now, I would leave it alone because it hasn't moved into an unacceptable position despite months of stress.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 08, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Dr Mark. I'll let you know what my ortho says on Monday

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hi again, Dr Mark
I went to see my ortho and he thinks that it is a non union and thinks that he should go in and install a plate and bone graft it.

While I had a bone graft done on my other leg back in 2004 to fill in the missing bone, the fracture on my fibula appears to be a clean break, so I am not sure why the reasoning for the bone graft this time around? It's not that I have a major problem with the bone graft, it's just that the pain in the hip area was dreadful the last time around. But I will do it if need be, as I don't want to chance using cadaver bone.

I go in for a Cat scan this afternoon and the doctor will base his determination off of that.

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 10, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Double post

• DrMark

Posted December 10, 2007 - 11:25 AM

Have you been walking without pain all this time? If so, why would you want to have an operation? or a CT scan for that matter?

This doc is following a cookbook without considering the patient.

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 10, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Have you been walking without pain all this time? If so, why would you want to have an operation? or a CT scan for that matter?

This doc is following a cookbook without considering the patient.

Yeh, I have been walking without pain this entire time. In fact, most of the pain that I get (A 2 on the scale of 1 to 10) is when I sit in the recliner with my feet up like I am right now. No instability when I walk or anything. Just what exactly is the fibula supposed to do?

I don't want to have an operation and would like to avoid it at all costs but IF the bone is a non union, then it is never going to heal with the active lifestyle that I live...:banghead:

But yes, you hit the nail on the head regarding the doctor. This is not my normal Ortho doctor and he showed no concern or interest in listening to what I had to say. The entire visit lasted all of two minutes. I had the CT scan today and go back to see the doctor on Wednesday morning and he WILL spend more time with me this time around. If not, then I will get a 2nd opinion....:busted:

• DrMark

Posted December 11, 2007 - 04:10 AM

The fibula holds the talus under the tibia. Currently its doing an excellent job at that.

When the d1ckhead cuts down to the bone, he will find its healed, but he will put the plate on anyway.

If you have this unncecessary surgery, you should also have surgery on you brain.

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 11, 2007 - 08:42 AM

The fibula holds the talus under the tibia. Currently its doing an excellent job at that.

When the d1ckhead cuts down to the bone, he will find its healed, but he will put the plate on anyway.

If you have this unncecessary surgery, you should also have surgery on you brain.

Seriously, I like your honesty and your thoughts on this issue. :thumbs:

Hopefully the cat scan will show him that it is healing. If it does not, I am definately going to get a 2nd opinion before I go under the knife again. Been through that before and I do not want to go through it again! Heck, at this point, I'll fly to Houston and see you before I go through another surgery.

I looked up info on the fibula and somewhat understand its function now. From what I gather, it provides lateral ankle stability, which I have NO problems with WHATSOEVER. This includes deer hunting and walking across fields and through dense forest. Heck, I have ridden mx and trails since my injury, so I think that you are right that the doctor is just looking for $$$ instead of looking out for the best interests of the patient.

More to come tomorrow when I go back to see that old crusty a$$....:banghead:

• crazy42wheeledtoys

Posted December 12, 2007 - 08:11 AM

Hi Dr Mark

I just got back from the doctor and on a side note, he was much more inquisitive this time around.

He let me read the cat scan report and indeed it says that there is absolutely no healing tissue and the two bones have not fused at all.

• DrMark

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:42 AM

I don't operate on people that dont' have pain and on fractures like this that are in normal position.

I would let you walk and play sports as you wish, and take an X-ray every month. It the bone moved, then I would operate, but I wouldn't expect to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What to do as a workout for Harescramble racer? by Fade

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  63 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Things I learned in my first two hours on a dirt bike (Long) by Scootterass

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.