WR450F Dual Sport

12 replies to this topic
  • PenGun

Posted December 02, 2007 - 02:35 PM

I can buy a 2006 WR450F with a baja kit and road license with about 1100 km for about the same price I can get a new 2007 DR Z400S. I like Yamahas and I'm fairly tall with long legs, flat footed on a DRZ - S.

I understand this is a more violent beast and I was wondering if anyone had explored RV type cams for it. Moving the power band down a bit and taming peakiness would make a more tractable logging road+ touring back road thing.

I live on Vancouver Island and the trail starts 100 meters from here. I can go almost anywhere on the island without using public roads.

It makes a bad supermoto bike too :thumbsup:. I like the triple sport idea. Taming a WR a bit might make more sense than hopping up a DRZ. I dunno?

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I can buy a 2006 WR450F with a baja kit and road license with about 1100 km for about the same price I can get a new 2007 DR Z400S. I like Yamahas and I'm fairly tall with long legs, flat footed on a DRZ - S.

I understand this is a more violent beast and I was wondering if anyone had explored RV type cams for it. Moving the power band down a bit and taming peakiness would make a more tractable logging road+ touring back road thing.

I live on Vancouver Island and the trail starts 100 meters from here. I can go almost anywhere on the island without using public roads.

It makes a bad supermoto bike too :thumbsup:. I like the triple sport idea. Taming a WR a bit might make more sense than hopping up a DRZ. I dunno?

I dont think you will find the WR that wild. It has alot of usable power, but it is there when you need, a YZ on the other hand would be too much. Other than the fact that it will never run at steady throttle very smooth, I think you would be happy with it just the way it is.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Other than the fact that it will never run at steady throttle very smooth

can you explain this....i have an 06 which is dual sported and i can hold the throttle steady all day long with no problems or spits/sputters...:thumbsup:

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted December 02, 2007 - 10:40 PM

can you explain this....i have an 06 which is dual sported and i can hold the throttle steady all day long with no problems or spits/sputters...:thumbsup:

I'm glad it works for you! My '03 doesnt spit or sputter, but I can tell mine doesnt run like it was designed to keep a maintained, steady speed.
I do agree that the WR would be a great dual- I would just want it to be 5% street, 95% trail. My 2 cents.

What do you think about the WR being well suited towards a dual sport in near stock(usual free mods) setup? Seems like there would be no need for further detuning if you just kept the stock exhaust and ran it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 02, 2007 - 11:10 PM

I'm glad it works for you! My '03 doesnt spit or sputter, but I can tell mine doesnt run like it was designed to keep a maintained, steady speed.
I do agree that the WR would be a great dual- I would just want it to be 5% street, 95% trail. My 2 cents.

What do you think about the WR being well suited towards a dual sport in near stock(usual free mods) setup? Seems like there would be no need for further detuning if you just kept the stock exhaust and ran it.

in stock form i think it would sucks...at min you would want pmb insert in the stock exhaust and the rest of the free mods done ie throttle stop and ais removed. maybe keep the grey wire. besides once you gear the thing for the "road" your gonna loose some bottom end which will mellow it out. for instance im funning 15/48 switch has spread everything out nicely!

• Albie

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Jetting. Mine ran like crap at a steady throttle when I first got it. Installed a JD Jet kit and the stutter went away.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PenGun

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll stick to the DRZ. Those 1000 km teardowns are probably more wrench action than I want.

Eddies thoughts were well appreciated too. Found that old thread.

Soon I get the beast :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:47 AM

Those 1000 km teardowns are probably more wrench action than I want.

on a wr? are you serious....that is only 621.371192 miles....there are tons of guys with wrs that are getting 10,000 miles with no problems...heck i have 4000 trouble free miles

• PenGun

Posted December 03, 2007 - 12:12 PM

on a wr? are you serious....that is only 621.371192 miles....there are tons of guys with wrs that are getting 10,000 miles with no problems...heck i have 4000 trouble free miles

The manual is what I tend to follow. It wants piston ring end gap checked and crank inspection every 1000 km. Valve clearance check every 500 km.

It's doable but more than I want to do. I know relaxed riding will extend those numbers but trhe beast does not haul a lot of fluid and needs constant attention.

• clark4131

Posted December 03, 2007 - 12:16 PM

The manual's recommendations are for extreme (read racing) conditions. If you're mellow with it and do annual or semi-annual valve checks, you'll be just fine. Oil/filter changes ought to come every 250 miles or so, again, if you're mellow on the throttle. I change mine about ever 200 and I'm not dual-sported. The DRZ will require less, but it is also a lesser bike...SC

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 03, 2007 - 12:55 PM

the beast does not haul a lot of fluid

true i do wish it help a little more...especially when down in baja and your doing 400+ miles

and needs constant attention.

besides oil change and filter cleaning and a bath...there is not really anything else

• uncleroby

Posted December 04, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I had a 2005 WR450F and now I have a DRZ400E.
The WR is more specialized still usable and fun on road but it requires more maintainance.
I have 16.000 kms on my DRZ, I change oil every 5000 km, clean air filter and nothing else.
it's less fun than the WRF but I use it every day and I have a lot of fun.

The WRs are designed for off road use only and not for making many miles while the DRZ are dual sport bikes.

The Yamaha dual sport bike is the new WR250R, I hope they will soon come out with a WR450R! :thumbsup:

• PenGun

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:29 PM

It's too beautiful. I need a WR, went and played a bit with one and I'll take the road pain for the dirt sweetness.

Soon I'll get probably a new 2006. Almost cheap here now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.