Oil Leak

6 replies to this topic
  • mvm450

Posted December 02, 2007 - 09:48 AM

Have an 07 450f. This past weekend at the track I noticed oil dripping out of an overflow hose coming from the top of the valve cover. It only noticed it when I stopped to take a break. It would only drip for about 15-20 seconds then it would stop.I don't see any oil spray on the bike, so I don't think it's coming out while I'm ridding, could be wrong.I checked the oil level and it was fine. Is this something that is normal, is ths over spray, should I be concerned? I never noticed it before this past weekend. Need a little help.

• 642MX

Posted December 02, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Have an 07 450f. This past weekend at the track I noticed oil dripping out of an overflow hose coming from the top of the valve cover. It only noticed it when I stopped to take a break. It would only drip for about 15-20 seconds then it would stop.I don't see any oil spray on the bike, so I don't think it's coming out while I'm ridding, could be wrong.I checked the oil level and it was fine. Is this something that is normal, is ths over spray, should I be concerned? I never noticed it before this past weekend. Need a little help.

Sometimes the YZF's will blow a little oil out when they are ran hard or over-filled with oil. Its normal. :thumbsup:

• blue9red9

Posted December 02, 2007 - 04:26 PM

Normal, mine does drip sometimes. There are a couple threads about that tube and how it should be rerouted into the airbox. It is proposed that under the right conditions, it can suck stuff into the engine. One guy even claimed it ruined his engine due to sand being sucked into the tube and then the head. I rerouted mine just for safety as it was cruddy at least up 5 inches or so from the bottom which says, some sucking of dust occured.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mvm450

Posted December 02, 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hey thanks alot for the info. I can rest easy now.

• todds924

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hey thanks alot for the info. I can rest easy now.

Nothing to worry about. This happens when you overfill!

• DRTYHRRY

Posted December 03, 2007 - 02:18 PM

Does anyone overfill to the point that oil will not drain to the crankcase as normal?!?!!

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Does anyone overfill to the point that oil will not drain to the crankcase as normal?!?!!

Overfilling won't prevent the oil from draining to the crankcase after feeding the lube circuit. What it does is prevent the oil from being cleared out of the crankcase. This happens when there is so much extra oil that there isn't room for all of it in the tank (frame or built-in), and the excess is pushed back into the engine via the pressure balance line.

Overfilling to this extent normally occurs when one either fails to drain both the crankcase and the tank, or when one fails to run the engine before checking the oil level, which will incorrectly indicate that the engine oil level is low.

Overfilling an '03-'05 is a little more difficult than others, because the tank has a fairly large excess of capacity. These and the '98-'02 models will hold around 2 qts before they start acting like this, and since the steel 450's use only 1.2 qts, and they are filled at the crankcase, they can take over half a quart extra, and it's easier to notice that there is already a lot of oil in the crankcase, too. An '06-'08 model will take very little extra before it starts raising the oil level in the crankcase.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.