What are these wires?

For my 01 WR426:

Is this my grey wire. Can't find it in the 6 pin connector like the sticky says.

6s67a5z.jpg

This was disconnected when I bought the bike and not too sure what it is. Looks like black and yellow wires.

72qee11.jpg

Again already disconnected and not sure why, maybe something to do with the baja designs kit.

822o6fa.jpg

Grey wire on the 01's is in the six pin connector tucked up under the tank on the R/H side...if I remember right, it's kind of a funny shade of grey. Middle pin on top row, I think...although looking at the wiring diagram, that looks like the other end.

The first connector picture was for AC power to thr regulator. It is no longer used on the B-D d.s kit (and most other kits that convert to DC and float ground on the coil). The 2 female bullets used to be tail light. They, too, are no longer used with the B-D kit, as the wires are included in the new B-D harness.

The 426's grey wire is in a two pin connector, one grey, one black. The wiring schematic is below. This is also in your manual...SC

gray_wire.jpg

so I can remove it at the two pin connector shown in my pic, correct?

Years back, I pulled the grey wire in the 6 pin connector under the tank and now it looks like I may have pulled the wrong one. If there is someone that can absolutely clarify this please post a response. It seems like there are a couple of opinions as to what connector it is. I thought that I had researched this subject completely.

I believe that the grey wire is in a 6 pin connector an most of the models. However, if you own a 426 then yes, you pulled the wrong one. Problem is that there is not a grey wire in any of the 6 piin connectors on a 426. Check your manual electric diagram to be certain. Hope this helps.

Josh

So why can't everyone just get the same simple answer and tell us exactly which one and where it is.

Josh you didn't tell us what color the wire is if it isn't grey on the 426.

SC says it is in the two pin connector which I haven't looked for it yet.

I have a 01 426. So what does the grey wire that I unplugged do? I have had it this way for about 3 yrs. now. I'm glad that i pulled it vs. cutting it. What's your take on this birdy? Looking at the pics for the thumperfaq posted by wr dave, We must have gotten the wrong one. The bike runs great though, but if I have the wrong wire and the bike will run better yet, then great. I'm just frustrated because I did not do this mod until I felt 100% certain that I was doing the right thing.

Ok guys - he DID tell you which it is - the OP showed a grey wire and a black?white wire being disconnected, on the diagram it shows you are looking for a grey and a black wire together - that is what he is telling you to disconnect, NOT the grey and black/white wires.

OP - The other 2 wires by the airbox are likely your tail lamp.

I've been perusing the schematic and decided to download one off the Aussie/European sites listed in the PI sticky. The hard copy shows a different schematic than the one already shown in this thread.

Bottom line: You should have two, 2-pin connectors on the bike, one for the ignition curve (the one you want), the other for the kill switch. Whichever one has the grey wire in it should be the one to disconnect, but ONLY the grey wire. It's friend must remain plugged in. Before you do anything though, make sure you have found BOTH 2-pins and verify the colors. FYI, on the schematic #11 is the CDI, #2 is the kill switch, #4 is the TPS and #7 is the neutral switch. Report back what you've found and we'll figure out which way to go once and for all...SC

So why can't everyone just get the same simple answer and tell us exactly which one and where it is.

Josh you didn't tell us what color the wire is if it isn't grey on the 426.

SC says it is in the two pin connector which I haven't looked for it yet.

I didn't tell you what color the grey wire is because the grey wire is always grey! That is why they call it the "Grey" wire. As for which connector it is in, that question has been answered in almost every reply. The answer is that you need to determine which year bike you have and go to the manual. If you own a 426, it is in a two wire connector, one wire is grey and the other wire is black. I don't know how we can be more specific than that. Hope this helps,

Josh

Clark and jbrooks,

Looking at the wiring diagram that was posted(by clark) and what you guys are saying makes sense. I just wish that I could remember what led me to disconnect the grayish looking wire in the 6 pin connect. off the top of the CDI. (on the diagram with P B G R W) Maybe I pulled the Br wire indicated on the diagram and confused it for looking grey. Can either for you guys tell me what this wire does? Like I said before the bike runs good and even birdy made the same mistake. I'll need to pull everything apart and look for those other wires. Reading all of the posts you all have commented on, including birdy, you all sound very knowledgeable, so when I read something conflicting I get a little thrown off. I did not notice any difference whan I pulled the wire so I guess there is more power to look forward to. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Just noticed that the diagram in my manual is different than yours. Same # on top EC61200. The connector that you are indicating has grey w/ black; mine is grey with Blk & White. The BW is then show as the same circuit going through the kill switch and then it goes to the same Blk. ground for the coil. I'll need to verify on the bike. It still shows the dashed box w/ just the BW wire minus the grey for Except for US. Does this match the other diagram you were looking at? Thanks

Just noticed that the diagram in my manual is different than yours. Same # on top EC61200. The connector that you are indicating has grey w/ black; mine is grey with Blk & White. The BW is then show as the same circuit going through the kill switch and then it goes to the same Blk. ground for the coil. I'll need to verify on the bike. It still shows the dashed box w/ just the BW wire minus the grey for Except for US. Does this match the other diagram you were looking at? Thanks

That's what the schematic from the Aussie/European site shows, i.e. the second one I found. I'm beginning to think the schematic originally shown on the first page of the thread may be goofy. I won't be able to verify from a couple other of my sources until tomorrow. I'll try to chime back in tomorrow night...SC

I no longer have my WR426 or the manual that came with it , but I distinctly remember removing the gray wire from the 6 pin connector that was in the thumperfaq link I posted earlier.It was a Canadian version of the WR so that may be the difference. As for the neutral switch I totally removed it from the bike and that eliminated the Sky Blue wire as well.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/blue_wire.htm

WR Dave.