Side panel grab handles: 400 / 426 vs. 450

10 replies to this topic
  • SCORPiON5150

Posted December 02, 2007 - 04:32 AM

I ride my 01 YZ426F primarily on tight single track trails. The grab handles yamaha put on the 400s and 426s are the best design I have ever seen. Love being able to easily yard the bike out of a rut or turn it around on a hill with them. I am considering doing the 03-05 450 body mod, but not if the functionality of these handles is compromised. The 426 ones you can get a full grown man's hand into with ease, no sharp corners really, and you are basically pulling right on the subframe so it doesn't stress the plastic much. How are the handles on the 450 in comparison? Wish I knew someone that had one so I could just go see for myself!

• 642MX

Posted December 02, 2007 - 01:08 PM

I ride my 01 YZ426F primarily on tight single track trails. The grab handles yamaha put on the 400s and 426s are the best design I have ever seen. Love being able to easily yard the bike out of a rut or turn it around on a hill with them. I am considering doing the 03-05 450 body mod, but not if the functionality of these handles is compromised. The 426 ones you can get a full grown man's hand into with ease, no sharp corners really, and you are basically pulling right on the subframe so it doesn't stress the plastic much. How are the handles on the 450 in comparison? Wish I knew someone that had one so I could just go see for myself!

My wifes bike is an 03 with the newer body work. The grab handles work fine. But, if you really want to have some control, make a strap that will fit over the seat cover and secure it with the seat bolts. Then you can have a big handle to 'man-handle' your bike with.

• goodysttr

Posted December 03, 2007 - 09:31 PM

i have an 01 wr 426 that i put 01 yz plastics on. Im in need of new ones. Can you tell me more about this 03-05 body mod?

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:27 PM

The '03 plastics conversion:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=151436

• mikedabike

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:40 PM

03-05 are great. The ones on the 06 and later you cant get a good hold on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BradThomas

Posted December 04, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I used to ride an 01 KX250 and it had handles in the side panels that were great for grabbing and moving the bike around. My 07 450F doesnt have anything. Im thinking of getting a 1 or 1.5" nylon strap with some tabs on it that bolt in with the seat bolts made but I havent gotten around to it yet.

• BergArabia

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I used to ride an 01 KX250 and it had handles in the side panels that were great for grabbing and moving the bike around. My 07 450F doesnt have anything. Im thinking of getting a 1 or 1.5" nylon strap with some tabs on it that bolt in with the seat bolts made but I havent gotten around to it yet.

This seems a good idea, but I have found the grab handles on my 05 YZ450 quite useful. Still this mod idea has possibilities..

• SCORPiON5150

Posted December 05, 2007 - 08:49 PM

03-05 are great. The ones on the 06 and later you cant get a good hold on.

This seems a good idea, but I have found the grab handles on my 05 YZ450 quite useful. Still this mod idea has possibilities..

Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear! Can't wait to do this conversion!

• SCORPiON5150

Posted December 16, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Yesterday a couple new guys came riding with my friend and I. One was on an 03 YZ450F so I actually got the chance to make this comparison in person.

The 426 does have a much better handle design, as the size of the handle is large enough for an average white man's hand where the 450's opening is probably about right for the average asian man's hand (no racial offense intended).

What I am saying is there is definately a noticeable compromise between the two designs, which I was afraid of. I favor the setup on the 426 as being a little more useable. However, the compromise is minimal, as the 450's are still pretty usable. I will go out on a limb and say the 450's is still better than any other bike's I have seen.

The handles on the 450 ARE easily good enough for me to follow through with the plastic conversion - but there is definately a compromise between the two, for me anyway - just in case anyone else was wondering too.

• BradThomas

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Im still going to get some strap handles made, seems WAY cheaper and less complicated than changing plastics.

• SCORPiON5150

Posted December 17, 2007 - 01:34 AM

Im still going to get some strap handles made, seems WAY cheaper and less complicated than changing plastics.

I am not swapping plastics to gain anything in the department of grab handles. I am doing it for the 450 plastics on my 426 bike. That's going backwards as far as the handles go.

You are right however, a strap is an easy route to get the job done on any bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.