I need some help

6 replies to this topic
  • inksanity

Posted December 01, 2007 - 06:10 PM

I just purchased a 2000 wr400...When I got around to checking the oil it was milky I know that this means there is water in the oil but my real question is how did it get there. My first thought was a head gasket but after reading some posts it seems I could be getting it from my water pump? The bike has great commpresion And does not smoke at all, The guy I bought it from said he had done the top end less than two rides ago. What do you guys think?

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 01, 2007 - 08:08 PM

I just purchased a 2000 wr400...When I got around to checking the oil it was milky I know that this means there is water in the oil but my real question is how did it get there. My first thought was a head gasket but after reading some posts it seems I could be getting it from my water pump? The bike has great commpresion And does not smoke at all, The guy I bought it from said he had done the top end less than two rides ago. What do you guys think?

If they killed it in deep water and tried to start it, the CCV hose, if not routed to the air box, will pick up water and into the crank case... change the oil and see if it's still milky.

He may have damaged a gasket when re-assembling things:excuseme:

• jpoehls

Posted December 01, 2007 - 08:27 PM

I would change the oil and see if the problem repeats itself. Dons comments appear to be one of the first areas to probe. I do not have a good answer on telling if it is water or antifreeze in the oil. Perhaps you can take a sample to a local shop to analyze.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • inksanity

Posted December 11, 2007 - 11:42 AM

Ok I took it all apart this past weekend and I am waiting for the parts should have them today. The seals where pretty chewed up and the shaft was worn very bad...The thing is the water pump never leaked? The other thing is ALL the water left the radiators and went into the engine. Will a oil seal on the water pump cause this to happen? The bike has great compression and doesnt "steam when it running I sure hope it is the seal. If anyone knows the answer please help!!!!

• clark4131

Posted December 13, 2007 - 08:45 AM

It could happen theoretically, but this would be the first I've heard of it. If the inner seal went bad I think you could get the situation you've described. However, I'd be more inclined to think you'd get a leak at the weep hole first. My advice is to change out the shaft, bearing and seals, refill the radiator, do two complete oil changes to remove any remaining coolant and then see what happens...SC

• inksanity

Posted December 13, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the answers clark I will give it a shot this weekend and see what happens...As far as leaking out the weep hole thats true unless someone put silacone in it to sell it! I think the guy I bought it from screwed me. but live and learn!!

• inksanity

Posted December 16, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Just to let you guys know it is possiable to get coolant in your oil via the waterpump....WHEN the weep hole has been pluged!!! The moron I bought it from plug the hole with jb weld!!!! He must of wanted a quick sell so he pluged it so I woudnt see it leaking BUT the joke is on him I scored a 2000 wr400 with california plates for 1400.00 :banghead: I just put new plastics on her and cleaned it up a little bit I think I could proably pull 3000.00 out of it with the plate! I think this will make a nice backup bike when my plated yz426 is not up to the challenge. :busted:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.