my new XR650R....

24 replies to this topic
  • haggeo

Posted December 01, 2007 - 04:10 PM

got this bad boy for pretty much dirt cheap from a really cool older guy who was thinning his fleet. need to get some dirt wheels and i'll be set. i thought about taking the e-start off and selling it but i'll wait on that, might grow on me:ride:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Coolidge

Posted December 01, 2007 - 04:15 PM

Very nice. I kinda like that E-start....Post some pics when you get the dirt wheels on. Is it plated?

• haggeo

Posted December 01, 2007 - 04:25 PM

yeah it's street legal and scary fast.

• knuklehead

Posted December 01, 2007 - 04:35 PM

SWEET What kind of link is that on the rear ???

• haggeo

Posted December 01, 2007 - 05:36 PM

SWEET What kind of link is that on the rear ???

it's a koubalink that lowers the rear 1.75 inches. the previous owner is even shorter than i am.

• jk9270

Posted December 01, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Get the dirt wheels quick!!! Leaving that bike on the street is such a waste.:thumbsup:

• XR4DEZ

Posted December 01, 2007 - 07:34 PM

Leave it like it is and buy another one for the dirt. :thumbsup:

• scalejockey

Posted December 01, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Get rid of that kouba link if you plan on going back to the dirt .It makes it handle like crap.

• supermotolars

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hallo
upload a picture of the mounting of the steering dampner. haw is the "pin" located on the frame, problems with the oilplug?

If you want to sell the E start, let me know!
Does the E- start work well, no problems?
Regards
/Lars

• Suikerland

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hallo
upload a picture of the mounting of the steering dampner. haw is the "pin" located on the frame, problems with the oilplug?

Regards
/Lars

looks to me like the standard oilplug / dipstick mount?
Here's mine... (not the bike shown in this thread, as you can see by the dirt..:thumbsup: )
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • haggeo

Posted December 02, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Hallo

Regards
/Lars

my mount looks similar to the other poster's mount and yes the e-start works great. it adds about 13 lbs but it's down low and not really an hindrance. i thought i'd sell it but i'm going to give it more time, i'm not missing kick starts yet.

• BKRacing

Posted December 02, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I could use something like that in my stable.

• haggeo

Posted December 02, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Hallo

Regards
/Lars

i guess you have to remove the arm that's in the oil tube to add oil? there is an adapter to mount it forward so the oil tube is free and i may get that instead.

Posted Image

http://haggeo.smugmu...27905327-XL.jpg

• supermotolars

Posted December 02, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, nice picture.

Where can I buy it? Thanks for your help.
/Lars

• haggeo

Posted December 02, 2007 - 02:45 PM

http://www.scottsper...e.com/index.php they are the manufacturer and there are other outlets too. they show up on ebay every no and then, this forum has a store that sells them at a good price.

• reklund5

Posted December 02, 2007 - 03:01 PM

I WANT those street wheels so I can ride mine to work occasionally! PM me if you're serious about selling 'em!

Good looking ride for sure!

Ryan

• Suikerland

Posted December 02, 2007 - 03:11 PM

i guess you have to remove the arm that's in the oil tube to add oil? there is an adapter to mount it forward so the oil tube is free and i may get that instead.

Posted Image

Yeah there are a few different mount options for the damper. Another is with the damper under the handlebars, and there is a forward mount as well.
I went with the dipstick mount because:
1) It was cheaper where I live :thumbsup:
2) It's seems to be the most common on 650R's
3) Everything is visible and easy to access
4) It takes 2 minutes to remove the damper oil cap mount to fill with oil - very quick & easy

The only problem is that you need to carry your original plug with dipstick with you if you want to check your oil. The damper bolt that screws into the oil filler hole does not have a dipstick to check oil level.

Or (even better) you can fit the oil sight tube, so you can check oil level without removing the cap.
http://www.barnumspr...GHT-TUBE/Detail

I fitted the damper and the oil sight tube in one go. If you dont wanna get the sight tube, probably better to get a different mount for the damper.

Haggeo, sorry to hijack the thread.
Great looking 650R...

• Suikerland

Posted December 02, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Posted Image

Haggeo, if that close-up pic posted is your bike, it seems you already have an oil sight tube fitted, I can just see the top of it.

Previous owner obviously spent $ on the right things. Dipstick mount damper and oil sight tube should kind of go together.

• haggeo

Posted December 02, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Yeah there are a few different mount options for the damper. Another is with the damper under the handlebars, and there is a forward mount as well.
I went with the dipstick mount because:
1) It was cheaper where I live :thumbsup:
2) It's seems to be the most common on 650R's
3) Everything is visible and easy to access
4) It takes 2 minutes to remove the damper oil cap mount to fill with oil - very quick & easy

The only problem is that you need to carry your original plug with dipstick with you if you want to check your oil. The damper bolt that screws into the oil filler hole does not have a dipstick to check oil level.

Or (even better) you can fit the oil sight tube, so you can check oil level without removing the cap.
http://www.barnumspr...GHT-TUBE/Detail

I fitted the damper and the oil sight tube in one go. If you dont wanna get the sight tube, probably better to get a different mount for the damper.

Haggeo, sorry to hijack the thread.
Great looking 650R...

thanks for the info i was wondering if taking the oil cap mount off was a quick thing or what, good to hear that it's a quickie. yeah, the previous owner put a bunch of money into the bike and is fortunate not to have to recover any of it in the sale :busted: he said that the bike does not seem to be charging the battery for the e-start and sure enough the battery goes dead after a day of use. he put a charging pigtail on it so plugging it in at the end of the day is a must. it does start on the first kick but i'm going to contact baja designs and ask where i should start looking for the problem. i do my own wrenching but i'm no expert at it so if anybody has an e-start and knows something i don't do tell.

• DREWBUSH

Posted December 03, 2007 - 05:09 PM

wasn't this listed on ebay a while ago? I remember seeing it for sale locally. Anyways nice bike.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.