2008 WR450 Carb Mods

8 replies to this topic
  • RFausel

Posted December 01, 2007 - 03:59 PM

(Here is a great page with all the discriptions and pictures on how to do all the free mod's easily by yourself, but please keep this thread entirely about the carb mods http://www.thumperta...744#post4093744 )

-WHAT I'VE DONE-
I removed the grey wire, removed the snorkle, ground down the throttle stop to full throttle and removed the baffle at the very end of the exhaust.

-WHERE I RIDE-
Open desert, hills, dunes, and trail riding
I generally ride around the 4,000 foot elevation (almost alway between 3,000-5,000 feet).

-WHAT I WANT-
I want it to be as fast as it can possibly be without sacrificing any reliability. Like most of us, I like to ride hard and I am always looking for it to be faster.

-WHAT I BOUGHT-
I ordered the JD Jetting kit and GYTR Adjustable Fuel Screw (#JDY006 and #GYT-2S275-00-00)

Questions

Please explain everything that I should do to my carb when it is removed.

What size jets should I use for how I ride, where I ride and the way I ride?

What else can I buy/do to have this carb dialed in perfectly?

• erickdj

Posted December 01, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Here's what you need in summary:

168 main jet
48 pilot jet
40 leak jet
NFPP needle, 3rd down clip position.
2 small 0-rings for the AP arm.
1.5 turns out on the fuel screw

That should do de trick for what you want to do with the bike and your riding location. Oh, by the way, remove the entire muffler baffle, only leaving the spark arrestor on. Don't worry about noise, it will still be under 96db without the baffle. You'll love the power with those mods. Skip the JD kit if you can, it's much cheaper to buy the needle/jets by themselves at your local dealer.(about $30 for the needle/jets).

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 02, 2007 - 11:10 PM

Erick I want to borrow that pro circuit header. I think the stocker is holding the engine back

• erickdj

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:41 PM

Erick I want to borrow that pro circuit header. I think the stocker is holding the engine back

Does your bike feel that much more restricted to you than mine? Well, when I rode your bike it did feel like a dog, hehehe, just kidding man. :busted: :busted: I'm quite happy with the PC header, definitely worth the $100 I paid for it brand new. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Evad101

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Posting here so I can keep an eye on this thread as I just bought a 2008 WR450F myself! :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 06, 2007 - 11:32 PM

Does your bike feel that much more restricted to you than mine? Well, when I rode your bike it did feel like a dog, hehehe, just kidding man. :worthy: :goofy: I'm quite happy with the PC header, definitely worth the $100 I paid for it brand new. :ride:

Yeah, I think the header has alot to do with it. The stocker is just so much smaller in diameter than every aftermarket header out there...even the stock YZ header. I like that violent explosion off the bottom that open systems give this bike:thumbsup:

Was going to have my Aunt bid on a full YZ exhaust off an '07 that was on e-bay (don't have an e-bay account). She ended up forgetting to bid which was a good thing I guess because it ended up selling for over $100. $100 for the exhaust, plus about $120 for the PMB endo spark arrestor, and $35 for the quiet insert would have put me at $255.. thats about 1/2 way to a Dr.D full system :busted:

Another one came up on e-bay but the header and muffler are being sold seperately...so I don't know :thumbsup: :busted:

Can you ride monday?

P.S. any bike that can lift the front in 3rd or 4th on throttle alone isn't a dog :D :lol:

• erickdj

Posted December 07, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Yeah, I think the header has alot to do with it. The stocker is just so much smaller in diameter than every aftermarket header out there...even the stock YZ header. I like that violent explosion off the bottom that open systems give this bike:thumbsup:

Was going to have my Aunt bid on a full YZ exhaust off an '07 that was on e-bay (don't have an e-bay account). She ended up forgetting to bid which was a good thing I guess because it ended up selling for over $100. $100 for the exhaust, plus about $120 for the PMB endo spark arrestor, and $35 for the quiet insert would have put me at $255.. thats about 1/2 way to a Dr.D full system :busted:

Another one came up on e-bay but the header and muffler are being sold seperately...so I don't know :banghead: :D

Can you ride monday?

P.S. any bike that can lift the front in 3rd or 4th on throttle alone isn't a dog :ride: :busted:

Hmmmm..... $100 for a complete 07 YZ exhaust wasn't bad at all, in fact that's as cheap as you're going to find it. If you figure $50 for the header and $50 for the muffler it's a pretty good deal. I know it adds up a little more if you want the PMB stuff for it, but that's entirely optional and it's something that can be bought later on. I guess I like the idea of being able to get those things in "increments". Seems a little easier on the wallet than buying a $500 system at once. Man, the motors on these bikes are like a work of art, explosive, yet smooth. My dad compares riding his yz vs. my wr like driving a 1970's hot rod vs. a ferrari, both powerful, but one WAY more refined than the other.

I can't make it on monday, but I'm pretty sure I'll have friday off from work., I'll know for sure on monday. Do you have finals at school on friday? Friday should be a good day at carnegie. Let me know if you'll be open for some riding on friday.:D

• RFausel

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:55 AM

I went to the parts store yesterday and picked up a 168 main jet, 48 pilot jet....but they didn't have 40 leak jets, they actually started at 45 and went up from there.

I got a few more questions now....

Are you sure that it is a 40 leak jet that I need?

What is an NFPP needle? And, how do you put the NFPP needle in the third down clip position?

What are the two small o-rings I need for the AP arm (do you know what the part # is)?

Thanks

• RFausel

Posted December 12, 2007 - 10:58 AM

ALSO - Could you please explain how the shim the needle? It was recommended to me, but I wanted to get feedback before doing it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.