478 Big bore kit.

5 replies to this topic
  • A-10 Crewdog

Posted December 01, 2007 - 03:38 PM

I'm looking for someone who has installed an Athena 478 big bore kit. I have an 06 that I am going through which needs a new top end and was wondering what kind of unit the Athena was as far as fit, finish and reliability. I ride mostly in the forest with an occasional trip to the local m-x track and am looking for the best bang for the buck. Thanks much. Crewdog

• yzf450jack

Posted December 01, 2007 - 05:21 PM

I have put one on a HoNdA and everything fit well, I uses a Wiseco Teflon coated piston ,It looks like the stock cylinder

• yamaboy23

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:25 AM

As for that kit,It was a great fit,and quality parts
Very good performance boost with stock cams
But if I had to do another,I might try a stroker crank with stock bore

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted December 02, 2007 - 09:08 AM

I just rode and raced my new 08 Fri. and Sat. at a local indoor race. I installed the Athena kit with HotCams, DRD pipe and ZipTy carb mod. Wow! my bike runs incredible. I have never had a 4-stroke with the instant throttle response that this bike has. I had the ZipTy mod done on my 07 and it never ran this good. I can hardly wait to get this bike to a track that I can get it out of 3rd gear. For now I will have to wait for some snow to melt. I pulled several hole shots over the weekend (I raced in 3 classes both nights) and won all but 2 moto`s in the A class. This bike just flat out hauls butt! What I will probably do next is install a flywheel weight and go 2 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket. I also have a Rekluse Pro that I plan on installing.

• SurvivorMan

Posted December 02, 2007 - 02:02 PM

let us know the dirties on the rekluse pro. what is the Zip Ty mod? i guess probably the BK mod.

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2007 - 05:02 PM

what is the Zip Ty mod? i guess probably the BK mod.

Hardly. There is an AP mod done as part of the package, but the big thing is that the main air circuit is modified.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.