46,000 miles

10 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted November 30, 2007 - 06:54 PM

I just purchased a complete 650l used. The piston fried, but not that bad. He did not want to put time and energy into it. The amazing part is that the engine is original stock. He never removed smog, nothing. 46,000 miles before minor melt down. Thats pretty darn good!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 30, 2007 - 08:07 PM

I just purchased a complete 650l used. The piston fried, but not that bad. He did not want to put time and energy into it. The amazing part is that the engine is original stock. He never removed smog, nothing. 46,000 miles before minor melt down. Thats pretty darn good!

Wow, that' a lot of miles. Is there anything left of the mechanics and motor? That's equivilant to 368,000 in a car.......

• martinfan30

Posted December 05, 2007 - 10:01 AM

stock jetting finally put er down.:thumbsup:

• TDC71

Posted December 05, 2007 - 04:00 PM

Jetting should have taken its toll alot sooner if stock jetting is as bad as we all think. Depending on where the bike resided and elevation. I say oil starvation. 46k is too many miles in my opinion to be a lean problem, even though they do run lean.

• xr650l bum

Posted December 05, 2007 - 06:15 PM

I believe it was a combo of things. One it was stock with stock jetting. Two the oil that is coming out is Black. Probably using crap oil and not changing to often. Three he was using the stock crappy air filter, so who know what was getting in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 09:47 AM

Jetting should have taken its toll alot sooner if stock jetting is as bad as we all think. Depending on where the bike resided and elevation. I say oil starvation. 46k is too many miles in my opinion to be a lean problem, even though they do run lean.

maybe, but i beleive that when they are running hotter with stock jetting, they are running hotter.

we all know heat kills engines and melts pistons.

46k is pretty good though!

• TDC71

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Yeah I'm more inclined to say a combination of the two also, and like you stated Martin 46k is pretty damn good for a single cylinder.:thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:04 PM

If its ALL left stock (snorkel, wings, gearing, rear tire) the stock jetting is probably adequately rich to keep the temps acceptably low, if ridden 'nicely'.

Toss in a beer gut, wheelies, 70mph into a headwind, wheelies, a passenger now-and-then, clogging the fins with muck, blasting through the sand, then the jetting is too lean.

Dave

• TDC71

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:41 PM

HA HA GOOD 1 DAVE:lol:

• martinfan30

Posted December 06, 2007 - 03:42 PM

:busted:

If its ALL left stock (snorkel, wings, gearing, rear tire) the stock jetting is probably adequately rich to keep the temps acceptably low, if ridden 'nicely'.

Toss in a beer gut, wheelies, 70mph into a headwind, wheelies, a passenger now-and-then, clogging the fins with muck, blasting through the sand, then the jetting is too lean.

Dave

ya exactly, how many L riders does this describe!:thumbsup:

• dmvmechanics

Posted December 11, 2007 - 09:03 PM

That is a ton of miles. a lot of time on non LC bikes, the rings will lose there temper, it's downhill from there. how did the cyl. wall look when you tore it apart?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.