Anyone have a head for wr400/426

3 replies to this topic
  • 426frider

Posted November 30, 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have a 2001 wr426. I dropped a valve and need to get a head. I was told that a head from a wr400/426 or yz400/426 would work if it was a complete head. Is there anything i need to do to a used head before I put it on the bike.

• Birdy426

Posted November 30, 2007 - 07:03 PM

From Eric Gorr

http://ericgorr.com/dirtbikeparts.html

"Cylinder head fits 1998-2001 Yamaha YZ/WR400 or 426. features porting by Eric Gorr and multi-angle valve job, 1mm oversize Kibblewhite Black Diamond stainless steel valve kit with springs and buckets.
Price: $750

Free UPS ground shipping in the continental USA."

I picked up a head from Eric a while back. The port work was mild but well done. The one I picked up was bare with fresh cut seats and new guides.

While 750 sounds like a lot, I would completely recondition any used head I bought before I put it on my motor...you're talking about 5 x 60 bux for valves = 300 bux. 6 x 12 bux for springs, retainers and keepers = 72 bux. 5 x 30 bux each to cut seats = 150 bux, so you're looking at 530 bux plus tax to recondition another head, assuming none of the guides are bad. Bad guides are about $50 a piece for the part and labor to install. 750 doesn't look as steep anymore...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PatrickM

Posted December 01, 2007 - 01:40 AM

I would check Ebay. I had some head issues and was looking to pick up a yz400f head. I found a bunch of complete heads for $400. the only problem is that you really dont know the true condition of the head by just pictures alone.

I checked the TT store and just the head assembly will set you back about $620!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :busted:

When my bike's head went south......My mechanic sent the head out to a speciality motorcycle engine repair shop were they charged me $200 to fix the line bore, check all the internals, replace what needed to be replaced, re-assemble the head and test the head.

I think you head could have some salvagable parts so take out any parts that are still good and go from there.

Good Luck getting your bike back on the trails!!!!

Patrick M.

• Frostbite

Posted December 01, 2007 - 01:09 PM

I have a 2001 wr426. I dropped a valve and need to get a head. I was told that a head from a wr400/426 or yz400/426 would work if it was a complete head. Is there anything i need to do to a used head before I put it on the bike.

Is the head destroyed, or do you just need a new valve seat?

I snapped a valve and these guys machined me a new valve seat, replaced all 5 guides and valves, and remachined the intake cam bearing surfaces for me while they were in there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.