MAJOR diferences between 2002 and 2008 yz 250

14 replies to this topic
  • Gani_riders

Posted November 30, 2007 - 01:31 PM

I have an 02 yz 250...and was just wondering is there any MAJOR things im missing out on by not owning a newer bike???? Consider I came off a ttr 230..so.. so far this bike is amazing

• studboy

Posted November 30, 2007 - 01:45 PM

I own both an 02 and 06 YZ250.

Assuming that the 02 is still in good shape, here are the main differences:

Motor:
They are both very similar. The stock 06 pipe is a little better than the stock 02 pipe.

Suspension:
The 02 shock could be made to work well stock, while the forks needed to be revalved to work well because stock they are very harsh on sharp hits. The 06 has decent forks from the factory.
After having my 02 forks revalved and dialed in, they are every bit as plush as my 06 forks, but the 06 forks do have better bottoming resistance on the hard hits.

Brakes:
Both have decent brakes. The 06 front brake seems to have a bit firmer feel. I imagine that this is because of the improved hose routing.

Frame:
Well... the Aluminum frame is cool looking, and a bit lighter, but it really doesn't handle all that much different from the 02. Both bikes have the same feel.

Honestly, I have ridden the two bikes back to back (considering that my 02 is dialed in) and the 06 really doesn't have that much of an advantage over the well setup 02 IMO.

• Gani_riders

Posted November 30, 2007 - 01:51 PM

wow thanks for that in-depth response......im really pleased to hear that....now i just need to find some winter projects to do to her....i dont think the previous owner was very meticulous with the maintenace.so im think doing the swingarm and linkage bearings.....ew not fun

• number9

Posted November 30, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Keep in mind you can also pick up a stock 05+ front brake line from ebay and put on your 02 to get a little better feel and have the hose routing up out of the way of trail junk. I think I got mine for around $12 or so.

• studboy

Posted November 30, 2007 - 09:57 PM

Yes, definitely go through the bike to make sure that everything is tight and well lubed. Wheel bearings, swingarm/linkage, steering stem, suspension fluids, lubed cables, silencer packing, top end, etc.

On the suspension: Make sure that you have the proper springs for your weight and that your sag is properly set. After that, you can start playing with the clickers and oil height in the forks.

• dtkiko

Posted December 01, 2007 - 02:37 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]to fully appreciate the "MAJOR" differences between them, visually speaking, here are some photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

here are some of the changes (yet i may have missed more):
1. porting modification done in 2003 (the engine hasn't had major changes since then);
2. rear brake master changed in 2003;
3. from 46-mm to 48-mm fork in 2004;
4. aluminum-frame since 2005;
5. heavier piston in 2005, according to upallnight, said to have improved tracktability http://www.thumperta...55&postcount=5;
6. crank changes in 2005;
7. titanium shock spring in 2006;
8. speed-sensitive system (SST) forks since 2006;
9. changes in swingarm since 2006;
10. exhaust pipe changed in 2006;
11. titanium footpegs in 2007;
12. updated jetting in 2007;
13. minor plastics changes and yearly graphics changes;
14. front and rear brakes wave rotors in 2008; and
15. if the '05 model is claimed to be 5 lbs. lighter than the '04, then you can bet that the 2008 model is at least 7 lbs. lighter :thumbsup:

i would honestly think that there is/ are performance gains over the 6-year period brought by yami's continued (needless to say "continuous", for discussion's sake) development on the YZ250....[/COLOR]

• Drtbikerider250

Posted December 01, 2007 - 02:37 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]
11. titanium footpegs in 2007;
[/COLOR]

Didn't this come in 06? I may be wrong, but I thought that titanium footpegs came on the 06 bikes.:thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted December 01, 2007 - 02:39 PM

The ti pegs were on my 06. No worries as they are still the narrow versions and fairly useless compared to a wide peg. To heck with the material, give us wide pegs any day. They are wonderful.

• mxjosh

Posted December 01, 2007 - 03:51 PM

The Yamaha of Troy bike is not a 2002. Not that it makes much difference but the rear brake master cylinder is 03+. 02 had the plastic reservoir.

• dtkiko

Posted December 01, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Didn't this come in 06? I may be wrong, but I thought that titanium footpegs came on the 06 bikes.:thumbsup:

The ti pegs were on my 06. No worries as they are still the narrow versions and fairly useless compared to a wide peg. To heck with the material, give us wide pegs any day. They are wonderful.

[COLOR="Blue"]oops, my mistake guys, the titanium footpegs were issued in '06, not in '07...[/COLOR] :busted:

• why_zed

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:15 AM

The Yamaha of Troy bike is not a 2002. Not that it makes much difference but the rear brake master cylinder is 03+. 02 had the plastic reservoir.

Um ya, the Troy is mine & it is an 02! And it does have a plastic reservoir...

I have an 02 & 06, my 06 is a much better bike. "My" 06 has a way stronger motor throughout the powerband and a huge over rev that my 02 doesn't have. I no longer suffer from sprained wrists from over/under jumping the 02. The same over/under jumps on my 06 get sucked up like I landed it perfect. My 02 was pretty sacked out when I bought it though, whereas my 06 was cleaner than new when I bought it. The rear end feels more solid and accurate on the 06 probably due to the stiffer swingarm and frame. Same tires & gearing on both. The 02 is a great bike but I can tell a big difference between mine.

• stimps

Posted December 02, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Titanium footpegs also on the 05.

• studboy

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Um ya, the Troy is mine & it is an 02! And it does have a plastic reservoir...

I have an 02 & 06, my 06 is a much better bike. "My" 06 has a way stronger motor throughout the powerband and a huge over rev that my 02 doesn't have. I no longer suffer from sprained wrists from over/under jumping the 02. The same over/under jumps on my 06 get sucked up like I landed it perfect. My 02 was pretty sacked out when I bought it though, whereas my 06 was cleaner than new when I bought it. The rear end feels more solid and accurate on the 06 probably due to the stiffer swingarm and frame. Same tires & gearing on both. The 02 is a great bike but I can tell a big difference between mine.

While I do agree that the 06's forks are an improvement (The 02 forks are junk with stock valving but can be made to work well). How long had it been since the suspension had been serviced? I honestly can't say that the motor is much better on the 06. I've raced the two in the dunes back to back repeated times, really the 06 doesn't have much more. The improvement I believe came from the newer pipe, and the fact that as your mentioned your 06 was less "sacked out". Maybe the 06 was jetted better as well?
B.T.W. both bikes had stock pipes, but the 02 does have a V-Force 2 reed valve.

Bottom line... I think for any novice rider the 02 in good shape with well setup/valved forks will ride just as well as he would on the 06. It is difficult however to find an 02 that isn't "clapped out" these days, so if money weren't a big issue I would go with the 06. It is a good bike and it may end up saving you money in the long run on maintenance.

• studboy

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:52 PM

Posted Image
Me jumping the ramp on my 02.

Posted Image
My 02

Posted Image
At the dunes.

• RCannon

Posted December 03, 2007 - 05:56 AM

That first picture is incredible.

I used it as my background. It helps me remember when it was warm in utah.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

• Hot  24 replies
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems by Hoffy77

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

06 yz125 won't start by 06yz125rider

• 18 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.