JUST BOUGHT A BIKE AND NEED HELP

11 replies to this topic
  • hondasaretheshit

Posted October 03, 2002 - 07:18 PM

I JUST BOUGHT A BRAND NEW XR650R AND I HAVE $2,000 LEFT TO SPEND ON UPGRADES. I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO IT YET AND DESPRETLY SEEK YOUR HELP. I WILL BE PUTTING A DUALSPORT KIT ON IT AND BE USING IT FOR EVERYTHING FROM STREET RIDING TO LONG DISTANCE BAJA AND DUNE TRIPS. I WANT YOUR HELP IN DECIDING WHERE MY MONEY WOULD BE MOST EFFECTIVE. I HAVE A FEW IDEAS BUT AM NOT SURE ABOUT A LOT. JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WOULD DO IF YOU COULD START FROM SCRATCH WITH AN XR650R. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANYONES HELP. THE BIKE WILL BE AT BAJA DESIGNS IN ONE WEEK AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO TELL THEM I WANT TO DO TO IT. AND I FIGURED I WOULDEN'T BE ABLE TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER FROM THEM. HELP :)

• bigtom17

Posted October 04, 2002 - 06:27 AM

Go to XR650R.net and make your own choices. Start there

• lbxr

Posted October 04, 2002 - 06:41 AM

I have a E line dual sport kit for sale for the xr650r cheap. Most people consider this a better kit than baja designs. Integrated turn signals/ more durable. Look in parts and accesories for more info.

• Moredesert

Posted October 04, 2002 - 11:07 AM

Take off the smog crap and get a new pipe.

I would go with some Protapers and a Scotts triple clamp. You can add a damper later if you want. If you buy the damper at the same time you can save ~ $100

Depending on how much money you have left you might want to up grade the skid plate and the rear disk guard. I already took a rock hit on the skid plate and split my radiator hose wide open in Baja. Now I carry an extra one in my back pack.

Get the suspension done.

You might want a larger tank, I went with the Clark 4.3 gal.

For $149 you can get a Cam from XR's only. It helps a lot. That is next on my list.

• needsprayer

Posted October 04, 2002 - 11:16 AM

Number one best investment: Buy a service manual from www.helminc.com and read it.

http://www.helminc.c...FS7N0VGP92WCC9F

Do the free stuff first (uncork and setting sag).

Don't pay anyone to do what you can do yourself. For example you can install springs for your weight, rewind your own stator and change your own tires.

Save some of that money for tires. :)

• qadsan

Posted October 04, 2002 - 06:34 PM

Here's some ideas that come to my mind in no specifc order...

1) Make sure to grease the steering head and swingarm bearings. I also greased my shock linkage as well. Some bikes don't come greased very well right from the factory.
2) Make sure to clean the oil screen in the downtube within the first 100 - 150 miles. You'll likely see metal particles on the screen, but this is normal at first and this won't happen as much later on.
3) If you ride hard, you suspension fluid will get snotty within the first 500 miles or so. After 500 miles or so, clean out the forks and use a good fork oil.
4) Uncork it via proper jetting, non EPA intake, airbox restrictors removed, HRC tip or a good aftermarket tip.
5) Get the suspension done or do it yourself if you can.
6) Larger gas tank (Clarke 4.3 is nice).
7) Skid plate. Utah Sports cycle makes most of the skid plates for various companies who sell it as their own product under a different name. http://www.utahsportcycle.com/
8) Radiator Guards. I went with simple Devol guards that add a bit more structure incase the bike goes down on its side.
9) Lighting. If you're super serious about good lighting, get an HID kit but it will cost you dearly. Rewinding your own stator along with using a Honda glass lense with an 80 watt H3 bulb doesn't cost much (less than $75 total) and the difference in lighting is huge.
10) Get a pumper carb if you want the ultimate in low end throttle response. I prefer the Edelbrock and it works sweet.
11) Scotts forward mount damper package with ProTaper bars.
12) Garmin GPS V deluxe for navigation.
13) Check and recheck your all your bolts to make sure they aren't loosing up. Pay attention to the foot peg bolts.
14) Check your spokes after each ride or two at the beginning so that you can take the appropriate action before there's a problem.
15) Change the gearing to suit your needs. If you're mostly running at higher speeds, the stock gearing works nice unless you want more than 100 MPH to speed, but if you plan to do much single track at slower speeds, then consider changing the front sprocket to a 13T or the rear to a 53 or both the front and rear to a 13/51 combo that some people like.
16) Moose makes a nice rear fender pack that bolts onto your rear fender for carrying spare stuff. If you need more carrying capability, ProMoto Billet makes a rear rack for the XR650R.
17) Make sure to get yourself some good riding gear and possibly a backpack and or hydration system if you plan on long rides in hotter weather.
18) A new cam can also be real nice and its not very expensive. Rob Barnum of Barnums Pro Products has several grinds available including their own special grind. Rob races the XR650R professionally and is a sponsor and expert here at ThumperTalk among other things and his prices are also very reasonable. His shop offers complete engine services, suspension, custom exhaust, aftermarket parts sales, installations, etc, and he knows the XR650R very well inside and out. I also like the fact that because Rob has worked in R&D for many performance bike shops along with being a long time professional racer, he's had a chance to test out all kinds of products and knows what works well and what doesn't where as some shops just don't have that level of expertise. Barnums web page is www.barnumspro.com and you can read more about him by visiting the ThumperTalk home page and clicking on his picture under where it says ThumperTalk Experts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted October 05, 2002 - 02:15 AM

Suspension set up is the best money I've spent on this BRP.
The Summers brace really helps the front wheel track in these northern woods and the fork tube guards that come with it are the only choice out there. If you are going to be running high speeds,(if not you bought the wrong bike :)), get a steering damper. I'm real happy with the performance of the Mikuni TM. You can see the rest of my personal set up below

• motodad393

Posted October 06, 2002 - 04:32 AM

Hey,
I have owned many Honda's in the past. The largest were XR400's . I would get a pipe, rejet the carb [possibly replace] and have some suspension work done by RaceTech. This will really "wake a Honda up!"

Be careful riding - Be Blessed
:)

• hawk1953

Posted October 06, 2002 - 05:37 PM

First thing to do is uncork it. Replace the the intake boot
it has a restrictor in it. rejett the carburator,replace the silencer or get the HRC Competition Baffle,replace the stock air filter with a high flow one and remove the air box inlet restrictors. You will not believe the difference
in performance.sea level jetting on my bike is 175 main with matching needle,68s
slow jet,2.5 turns out on the air screw

• Graves

Posted October 09, 2002 - 05:49 PM

1-Uncork it.
2-Springs for your weight
3-Pro-Taper bars and a upper triple clamp to move the bars foreword (Scotts)
4-Large fuel tank
5-Scotts steering damper (if you didn't go that route in step 3)
6-A stack of rear tires at least as tall as you are, this thing eats more rear rubber than gas. :)
Have fun!

• XRFan

Posted October 10, 2002 - 05:57 PM

What to do is really up to you and what you want the bike to do. If you are a casual rider and don't plan to race, I wouldn't spend too much on engine performance mods. Most XR650R owners that I know are more than happy with the following mods

1. Uncork it
2. Replace the tip if you are going to be doing a lot of street riding or Big Gun exhaust system for race.
3. Re-jet it (Pumper carps suck gas like mad and rejetting is cheaper...alot cheaper)
4. Skid plate is a must
5. Larger tank
6. Pro-Tapers with antivibration inserts
7. Fatter rear tire
8. Steering dampener-with upper clamp.
*9. If you are doing Baja runs, I would spend the rest on a good quality GPS.

Most of the other things people have listed aren't really necessary. As you ride the bike and get used to it, you'll figure out what you need.

• XRFan

Posted October 10, 2002 - 06:05 PM

It just donned on me. The single most important thing you need that I don't think a single person has mentioned.

Spend top dollar on your riding gear. Don't skimp on your helmet or your boots. I would rather be wearing a $325.00 pair of Tech 8s with a factory rejetted carb than wearing something that isn't comfortable, doesn't let me feel my peddles, and doesn't have any ankle support because I have a pumper carb.

If you have a useless brain, buy a cheap helmet. Enuf said?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.