Fork/shock Oils

5 replies to this topic
  • Wiz636

Posted November 29, 2007 - 03:49 PM

I stumbled across this in another forum. I can't give a source or speak to it's accuracy but since this question seems to come up occasionally I wanted to throw it out there for whatever its worth.
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Interesting find. Too bad they didn't include Yamaha S1 for the sake of curiosity. No Maxima fluids are listed, either, but the same info is available at their web site.

Notice that the difference in the hot/cold viscosities of most of these fluids (which is reflective of the viscosity index of the fluid) is generally always greater than the difference between a given fluid and the next one or two heavier fluids.

• rickallen124

Posted November 29, 2007 - 09:51 PM

Looking at the chart it appears that the lighter weight oils would perform more consistenly, flow rate wise, then the heavier weight oils and therefore the suspension wouldn't get as soft as the oil heats up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted November 29, 2007 - 10:45 PM

I find it interesting that the 100C viscosity rating between all the oils remains significantly closer than the 40C ratings (but is that something that would ever come into play?)...and I also wish that the Yamaha S1 was included...that was the first one I looked for.

• Wiz636

Posted November 29, 2007 - 10:53 PM

By the way, this chart is pretty good for comarison in relative terms, but does anybody know what the the y-axis values represent? Or is it the x-axis values? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2007 - 11:39 PM

There is no Y axis. The values are the viscosity in Centistokes.

What's interesting here is that it speaks to the same issue we discussed once before, that being that the weight of oil used in a fork will change the fork's performance very little if varied within a limited range (say, from 3 to 7 or 10), since the viscosity variation of most fluids from hot to cold is greater that the difference between the oil weights themselves. That has to do with the fact the modern suspension components control pressures, and not flow rates.

And I haven't really ever thought to check at the end of a 50 mile desert run to see what the fork temperature is, but I think it would surprise me if it were to approach 100 C (212 F). That number is used because it's an oil industry standard temperature for such comparisons. 40 C is 104 F, and is probably a whole lot more normal in a fork.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.