Videos - pig in the desert

26 replies to this topic
  • Suikerland

Posted December 02, 2007 - 07:45 AM

nice videos, nice tracks. Looks like a great spot to ride - more variety than just dunes.
Don't know how you stay so close to the guy in front without being blasted by stones - you're risking your helmet cam?
... I've seen cracked numberplates and fenders from stones being kicked up on gravel roads

• BWB63

Posted December 02, 2007 - 08:03 AM

It's a wide angle lens so, there are times the tread of my front tire is past the tread of his rear tire. I try to ride close enough that I never get blasted. The lens has a cover, that does have lots of knicks in it now. Doesn't mack for a very crisp picture having the extra lens.

• Suikerland

Posted December 02, 2007 - 06:15 PM

BTW are you owner of borynack site? Good stuff there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rman of 237

Posted December 02, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Sorry dude but the music in those other vids?? I'm reminded of sitting in a backstreet Matamores dive eating rotgut guacamole listening to some clown pumping garbage out of a cheap electric piano with a very eccentric 50 year old woman sitting on my lap.:busted:
Now this one is a classic!!:thumbsup: Outstanding!!

• quicksilver

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:25 AM

I was watching it with my 18yr old know-it-all son and he kept insisting "that's Indian Dunes near Palm Springs". I said; "will you just pay attention" and then the camel appeared..... I really loved that moment.

BTY...What would be an honest estimation of your speed in that sugary sand at the point where you climbed the hill first off (prior to dropping the bike)? I get in sand like that and if I drop to about 10mph the drops begin with me as well.

• BWB63

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:51 AM

BTW are you owner of borynack site? Good stuff there.

Yes, that is my web page. Thanks:ride:

• Suikerland

Posted December 03, 2007 - 08:08 PM

I was watching it with my 18yr old know-it-all son and he kept insisting "that's Indian Dunes near Palm Springs". I said; "will you just pay attention" and then the camel appeared..... I really loved that moment.

BTY...What would be an honest estimation of your speed in that sugary sand at the point where you climbed the hill first off (prior to dropping the bike)? I get in sand like that and if I drop to about 10mph the drops begin with me as well.

I think it was pretty slow, 10-15 mph. That sand was deep, if I remember correctly I thought I got to the top of a dune, then realized there was another dune and some ditches, momentary confusion, shut the gas a bit (big mistake), front digs in. I drop the bike almost every time I ride in dunes, on that ride it happened about 5 times:banghead: .
I'm learning, when in doubt, give it gas. There is no substitute for momentum. In deep sand, hesitation leads to disaster. Can't afford to slow down and survey the scenery.

Dropping it is no problem, the problem is picking it up on a slope in soft sand in 100 degree temps when it's lying with the wheels facing uphill...:thumbsup:

In very deep sand, the hardest thing is coming to a stop without the front digging in. Gradual stops are really unstable, as soon as you ease off the gas, the bike sinks in like wet concrete.
It's almost like you have to be powering the bike right up until you stop. Makes for kind of very sudden stops.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.