Maintenance on a YZ250F

RTFM.

That said, oil changes every 10 hours if you don't race. Valve clearances every 10 as well. Clean/lube/adjust the chain often. Many people wait a lot longer on the valves. No set time for engine/top end rebuilds.

Bottom line: Use the manual. Check things often. Make adjustments before they become problems.

• Like 1

My oil gets changed every 5-8 hours, depending on the oil and how much clutch I'm using. My oil filter gets replaced every other change and my air filter usually after every ride. I don't ride track, but the severity of the riding I do in the hills are worthy of engine wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Our '05 YZ250F was flawless up until 18 months when a clutch shattered and seized the engine. When changed the oil every other ride and NEVER went into the motor or adjusted the valves.

Our '06 YZ250F is the biggest POS I've ever seen. The valves have gone out of adjustment 3 times in less than a year. Went through 7 clutches, hub, basket and now has a vibration of which I think is a bad crankshaft.

Depends on the bike and how you ride it. We probably have over 200 hours on the '06 now.

Rich

10? thats like every 4 rides for me, isnt that a bit rediculous? How would it break down/get that dirty that quick? Thats liek me paying 40 bucks a month just for oil. nevermind gas for my truck, gas for my bike, and other junk I have to buy for it. I think i'll do it every 30ish.

I have an 03 250F, which has given my zero problems, and it runs awesome. I got to check my clearences this winter though, and change my oil for spring!

:banghead:

10? thats like every 4 rides for me, isnt that a bit rediculous? How would it break down/get that dirty that quick? Thats liek me paying 40 bucks a month just for oil. nevermind gas for my truck, gas for my bike, and other junk I have to buy for it. I think i'll do it every 30ish.

I have an 03 250F, which has given my zero problems, and it runs awesome. I got to check my clearences this winter though, and change my oil for spring!

:banghead:

Lets see. A 250F holds just over 1 quart of oil, the motor turns over 11,000 RPM's, and it shares the oil with the clutch and tranny.

Buy a SS oil filter and use an oil like Shell Rotella ($9/gallon). And it will cost next to nothing to change it. And only about 15 minutes of your time. And while the oil is draining, you might want to clean the air filter.

If you think that is a lot of money, wait until it seizes the crank. Then you'll wish you took a little bit more care of your bike. Its a proven fact that the oil will shear out of grade in as little as 4 hours. (depending on the oil).

What are the maintenance schedule on a YZ250F. Does it need for example top end rebuild after so many hours and so on.

It all depends on how well you take care of keeping the oil fresh and the air filter clean.

My wifes 250F (or should I say 290F) has no hour meter, but I just completely rebuilt the motor from the bottom up. We've owned the bike since it was a few months old. It started to seem a little tired, so I yanked the motor. I found the big end bearing on the crank was loose. All 3 shift forks where worn, all the tranny bearings where toasted and the valves where shot. (second set of valves).

We ride every weekend. A mix of MX and woods. She is getting pretty fast and isn't scared to run the crap out of it.

My daily maintenance includes an oil change (and oil filter cleaning) and a fresh air filter. Yes..... Every ride, it gets fresh oil and a clean oil filter.

Yearly maintenace includes: A new timing chain, ring (piston every other year), new valve seals and valve springs.

I replaced the valves again at this overhaul, and once before about 2 years ago. This time I went with SS valves, so hopefully they won't be an issue anymore.

I probably do too much maintenace, but I like to keep the bikes up and I don't want to end a weekend of riding early.

you change your oil every ride? That is crazy. I'll probably do mine every 15-20 hours next season.

You should change it more often than that. I change mine every 3 hours (on the hour meter) and use Rotella. Becuase I use an hour meter though, sometimes 3 hours is a few weekends worth of riding.

Definitely get an hour meter and definitely change it more often than 15-20 hours.

Some day you may want to sell that bike, and the guy buying it from you might search your username on TT. He'll see that you only changed the oil every 15 hours and run away.

My oil gets changed every other ride, and oil filter every other oil change. Air filter cleaned/oiled every ride of course. Sometimes I'll switch to a fresh filter in the middle of the day, depending on how the track is. I haven't done anything else yet since the bike is only a couple months old, but I'll be checking the valves here shortly just to be safe.