exhaust system or Zip-Ty racing carb mod?

26 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted November 27, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Ive got some money comming my way and i want to upgrade my bike to fix 1 or 2 things. and i have a list of things i want to improve but i need to know which i should do first.

As is sits right now by bike is stock. except for a 14t 50t rear. im possibly going to a 51t havnt decided.

My major problem is that i hate the bog that ive been getting when i get on the gas. it hesitates and bogs down when im landing and heading into a sharp turn. and im wondering if the zipty race mod and r&d float bowl will fix this.

my other problem is in the power department. Im more then happy with the performance of the stock exhaust but would like to get more low end grunt for gettting out of corners better and getting up some elevation changes like Cemx has. so i was thinking an exhaust would help in this department.. or i could step up to a 51t rear and keep the front the stock 14t.

i dunno what i should do first.. the carb mod to fix my bogging or an exhaust system to fix the power problem.. anyone have any insight on which is better for my situation? eventually im getting both done but can only do 1 or the other.

im leaning more towards the carb mod at this moment in time...

• todds924

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Ive got some money comming my way and i want to upgrade my bike to fix 1 or 2 things. and i have a list of things i want to improve but i need to know which i should do first.

As is sits right now by bike is stock. except for a 14t 50t rear. im possibly going to a 51t havnt decided.

My major problem is that i hate the bog that ive been getting when i get on the gas. it hesitates and bogs down when im landing and heading into a sharp turn. and im wondering if the zipty race mod and r&d float bowl will fix this.

my other problem is in the power department. Im more then happy with the performance of the stock exhaust but would like to get more low end grunt for gettting out of corners better and getting up some elevation changes like Cemx has. so i was thinking an exhaust would help in this department.. or i could step up to a 51t rear and keep the front the stock 14t.

i dunno what i should do first.. the carb mod to fix my bogging or an exhaust system to fix the power problem.. anyone have any insight on which is better for my situation? eventually im getting both done but can only do 1 or the other.

im leaning more towards the carb mod at this moment in time...

What year bike we talking about?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:10 PM

my bad 2007 yz450. i forgot to add that..

• maddogyz250f

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Get your bike running right as is before getting the pipe. You may find you have plenty of power once the bike is jetted correctly. I had great luck with a JD jet kit and R&D carb bowl with my 06 but the Zip-ty has received generally good reviews.

• todds924

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:41 PM

my bad 2007 yz450. i forgot to add that..

Maybe i'll see you at CEMX. If I were you i would get your jetting sorted out first. It really shouldn't be that far off stock. Once that is proper, I really think a pipe isn't going to make that much difference. 07's were a great bike. Oh yeah, and I really don't think you'd want to go to a 51 sprocket either. I alternate between the stock 49 and a 50. I'll use the 50 at places like Perris/Racetown/Comp Edge/ I-5 Gorman and the 49 at Glen helen and Cahuilla.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:21 PM

im usually there on fridays and saturdays.. will be there saturday morning. 8-12.

• hi everybody

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:23 PM

the stock sprocket on my 07 is a 13...

am i confused?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:24 PM

whatever is stock.. i havnt changed the front. only rear. 13-14 one of thos.. i dont have a book in front of me..

• wes782

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:58 PM

get the carb mod, i did and my bike rips now. i was going to get an exhaust but now theres no need to! there was such a big differnece in power once i got mine back. save the money get your carb dialed and spend your money ud save on exhaust on suspension, tires or hey just save it!

• nap__kxf

Posted November 28, 2007 - 05:58 AM

i'd go for the carb mod, i put a dr. d on my 07 and theres no noticeable difference in low end, but i think it needs to be rejetted so that could be it i guess.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 28, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Do both - but start with Zipty mod - you won't be disappointed. I would also consider the adj power bowl option from Zipty also.
Exhaust - WB or DRD would be my recommendations
I do not however think that the 51 toth rear sprocket is in your best interest unless the tracks you ride are very very tight w/o much lengthy straights....You will notice a hell of a lot more shifting than necessary and less top end

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 28, 2007 - 08:30 AM

thanks. yeah if i got the carb mod done u was going to get the float bowl as well. get it all done in one shot. And from what ive been reading it looks like im going to be sticking with the 50.. it was inmprovement over stock but didnt cause me to shift a hell of a lot. thanks guys.. im gunna me ripping my carb off on monday.. anyone have any suggestions on how to make this go quicker and what to not disconnect.. i know not to disconect the tps sensor from the carb but just disconnect it, as it is a pain in the ass to get it right agian.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 28, 2007 - 12:53 PM

thanks. yeah if i got the carb mod done u was going to get the float bowl as well. get it all done in one shot. And from what ive been reading it looks like im going to be sticking with the 50.. it was inmprovement over stock but didnt cause me to shift a hell of a lot. thanks guys.. im gunna me ripping my carb off on monday.. anyone have any suggestions on how to make this go quicker and what to not disconnect.. i know not to disconect the tps sensor from the carb but just disconnect it, as it is a pain in the ass to get it right agian.

a very very important detail......only disconnect the coupler
ARPITA to get adjusted if you mistakenly disconnect the TPS on the carb, I know 1st hand
Some remove the shock - I did not
braces under the seat to motor - remove these
becareful removing throttle cables from the carb - they frey very easy. Remove from Throttle first
patience is needed to get the airboot back on the carb when reinstalling and maybe a spray of contact/carb cleaner APSOLUTELY NO WD40 or other lubricant
Go ahead a buy the hotstart nut - you will thank me later
and a Adj fuel screw is manditory!

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 28, 2007 - 09:58 PM

yeah i hate that stupid plastic nut.. its such a pain in the ass to get the cable screwed on. i was going to get the full race mod.. 185+ the fuel bowl. 360 in total. and thanks for the tips..

• ThumperKid250F

Posted November 29, 2007 - 03:26 AM

yea i would do both. i did the zipty mod and a DR.D exhaust on my 06 at the same time and it was like riding a different bike. it started right up first kick and it just runs better. more low end and it pulls hard.. :thumbsup:

• KAS

Posted November 29, 2007 - 10:38 AM

yea i would do both. i did the zipty mod and a DR.D exhaust on my 06 at the same time and it was like riding a different bike. it started right up first kick and it just runs better. more low end and it pulls hard.. :thumbsup:

So if you did both at the same time, how do you know which mod made any difference?

• ThumperKid250F

Posted November 29, 2007 - 02:34 PM

So if you did both at the same time, how do you know which mod made any difference?

you no that was the dumb thing i did.:thumbsup: but i noticed a big difference in starting and the the bike had a lot more snap to it, so thats is the carb. the bike just pulled really hard from the bottem to the top and that is the exhaust and help from the carb.

• grunkthump

Posted January 19, 2008 - 07:04 AM

GA426 why do you say no WD on the boot when re-installing??

• Wiz636

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:08 AM

When reinstalling the airboot onto the carb first loosen the front clamp just enough that you can pull the back of the carb to the left just a little bit. This will give you just enough clearance from the shock to get the airboot on without a fight. No lubes needed, no muss, no fuss.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 19, 2008 - 09:15 AM

GA426 why do you say no WD on the boot when re-installing??

it just makes a mess and attracts dirt and grime. I found you dont really need anything to lube it - just twist it on

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.