2006 yz450 crankcase help

4 replies to this topic
  • A-10 Crewdog

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:46 PM

I bought an 06 450 recently and tore her down to check the engine before I took her out in the forest. I was shocked to find something has been bouncing around in the engine and punched a hole in the case forward of the crankshaft into the oil tank. Some genius J.B. Welded a patch over it. A co-worker of mine is extremely good at Tig welding and said he could fix it. Has anyone had any experience with repairing engine cases with success? Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Yes. If the hole is away from any machined joints or surfaces, it can be easily patched by simply welding it shut, or by cutting a "plug" to fit and welding that in. If it runs across or into a joint, that surface will need to be recut. Not a big deal, especially by the sound of it.

BTW, I love A10's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • A-10 Crewdog

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:13 PM

Thanks much! Working on it now. I crewed A-10's for 10 years. A prime example of "Death from above".

• tnl

Posted November 28, 2007 - 05:02 PM

Some genius J.B. Welded a patch over it. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

LOL, sorry! I just bought some quick dry JB weld for my tool pack 1 ride prior to a ride where I split my case at the dunes from a chain failure. I thought it would be good to have in case I had a last minute, small repair in the middle of the desert to do? I think i jinxed myself and about $1500 later...:thumbsup: ?

• yamaha racing 230

Posted November 28, 2007 - 06:29 PM

my case is also cracked from chain failer not my falut but it was jb welded and it leaks a little surface oil from it no big deal just looks like crap

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.