drive wear?

6 replies to this topic
  • pudadin

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:03 AM

I have a 2005 wr 450....love it! I still have stock chain, and both sprokets. How can I tell it is time for a new parts? Last weekend at the BearFoot Enduro I saw a lot of guys with busted chains on the side of the trail....does not look fun!

Any suggestions on brands of chains and sprockets?

Thanks!

• face_plant

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:32 AM

all depends on how you ride but as a starting point.

are the teeth on the sprokets "shark toothed"?
is there excessive "free play" side to side on the chain?
is it rusted or showing weird wear patterns?
how often do you clean and oil the chain?

as far as sprockets and chains i have had very good luck with this combo
stock wr 450 frt, sunstar steel rr, and rk XSO or EXW chain. usually 1 set per year

• matt4x4

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:53 AM

if your sprockets look anything close to the right side of this pic

Posted Image

then you need to replace your sprockets, if you need to replace your sprockets, also replace your chain - do a complete set ot else you'll just wear the next sprockets even faster because your chain will be stretched to the old sprocket wear.
When I replace chains/sprockets, I do the whole drive train all at once - it'll give you the longest life out of the components.

here's a good writeup on chain stretch:
http://best-motorcyc...m#chain-stretch

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jpoehls

Posted November 27, 2007 - 02:54 PM

I am not a chain expert. Great info above.

On sprockets, I would recommend IRONMAN. They cost more, but they are lighter and do not wear out. People normally replace quite a few chains before these sprockets.

Do a thread search on these sprockets.

Just my 2 cents. I think they also look tricked out verse stock.

• jpoehls

Posted November 27, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Do a thread search on Ironman sprockets.

You replace chains before sprockets with these. Cost more, but IMHO worth it.

Peace!

• GCannon

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:50 PM

Check the service manual section 3 page 33
There is a specification for service limit 10 links or inside length of 11 pins is 5.91 inch or 150.1 MM this is service limit for chain stretch Sprocket wear is another issue but they happen at the same time. Which is why they recommend repalcement as a set.

http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/

• GCannon

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:55 PM

here's a good writeup on chain stretch:
http://best-motorcyc...m#chain-stretch

Nice one good read!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.