got stranded....

7 replies to this topic
  • 426_kid

Posted November 27, 2007 - 08:07 AM

ITs been a while sience ive been on here cuz ive been busy riding... On the last ride of the season it was a beautiful day perfect for riding.:worthy: :thumbsup: everything was lookin up i was rippin through the trails on our property like no body business when all of a sudden... The bike would die out whenever i would hit the throttle... even a hair... :lol: I was like what so I turned around immediatly. that wasnt soon enough aparently, It died like 10 seconds after that.:goofy: It wouldnt start and because I ahve a 426 I wasnt about to flood it tryin to kick it over in the middle of the woods. So I walked it back about a mile or so through sand mostly downhill... I get back break out the tools. The first thing I did was pulled the fuel bowl drain plug... It was brimmed with rich black dirt.. not sand.:busted: Heres the kicker I have a 6 or 8 ( I dont remember ) micron fuel filter in the line after the petcock. and my air filter was dirty but not that bad and it was on right. How on earth did the dirt get in there? Is it possible to have dirt come up trough your breather tube on the carb? Im puzzled.:D Any help or insight would be nice so this doesnt happen again.:busted: :ride: Thanks guys.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted November 27, 2007 - 03:51 PM

i didnt think that was relay possible that dirt could get in though the breather hose, but this is off topic but i went to drain my fuel bowl on the 400 and my main jet poped out i went to put it back in and it snapped the threads are on the inside and the bike still runs fine .

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Is it possible to have dirt come up trough your breather tube on the carb?

It is possible, but you have to do everything just wrong:

> All 5 vent tubes have to be buried in the dirt so that the only air drawn in through any of them has to come from there. One hose in the open will prevent the dirt from intruding.

> You have to use the choke. That circuit is the only one in the carb that creates a vacuum in the float bowl significant enough to draw that much dirt.

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:17 PM

i went to drain my fuel bowl on the 400 and my main jet poped out i went to put it back in and it snapped the threads are on the inside and the bike still runs fine .

You need to fix that. The bike still runs because the part of the jet that contains the actual metering orifice is still screwed in place. However, since the hex is now missing, there is nothing holding the discharge nozzle (needle jet, emulsion tube) in the carb. What can happen is that the nozzle can rise out of position and hold the throttle open. I can guarantee you that this will be an unpleasant experience, and may result in serious injury, property damage, and/or soiled underwear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I've read the delema's about the breather tube being blamed for sucking up sand/mud and believed that in fact it is possible but like Gray said "It is possible, but you have to do everything just wrong" I found sand (particles more like) in the top of my breather tube from riding in the dunes (without falling) last week. My bike has never been in the mud either? Is some debris acceptable up there if we are doing everything right? Time to do the breather tube filter mod after the my case gets completed. Maybe a good addition to the yz450 red neck sticky mod list? Or is it already in there?

• tnl

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I can guarantee you that this will be an unpleasant experience, and may result in serious injury, property damage, and/or soiled underwear.

:thumbsup: LOL

• 426_kid

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thanks. Thats weird gray... I wasnt in any serious mud... like I said it doesnt make sense...

• yamaha racing 230

Posted November 28, 2007 - 07:11 PM

You need to fix that. The bike still runs because the part of the jet that contains the actual metering orifice is still screwed in place. However, since the hex is now missing, there is nothing holding the discharge nozzle (needle jet, emulsion tube) in the carb. What can happen is that the nozzle can rise out of position and hold the throttle open. I can guarantee you that this will be an unpleasant experience, and may result in serious injury, property damage, and/or soiled underwear.

wow thanks gray i dint know that u may have saved my a pair of underwear lol is there any advise to pull the carb thorotlle cables etc ive neverd worked on the type of carb befor

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.