Lowering a WR450...Pro's and Con's?

9 replies to this topic
  • cpr1

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:49 AM

I just recently picked up a 04 WR450 with an already installed lowering link in the rear(1.5 inches lower).

While I do think that it's great for my shorter leggs, I also think that my handling is a bit off. It doesn't seem to turn as well as I thought it would, so I slid the forks up to the second line and that seemed to help a bit.

Anybody have similar experience with a lowering link on their WR?

Thanks in advance.

• tweav

Posted November 27, 2007 - 03:37 PM

Yes I lowered my 07 and ,it does not turn as well as it did ,but it feels better at high speed , a little more stable, less of a rut catcher .but does not cut a turn as well. fair trade I think

• CRF250X Rider

Posted November 27, 2007 - 03:45 PM

You loose 1.5 inches of travel.

• tweav

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Are you sure you lose travel? the shock's range of motion has not changed the only thing I changed was the starting point of the swing arm . not the length of the shock . I know I lost ground clearance . but my wr450 is not my all out race bike . it is my trail hopper dual sport . so for what it is for it suits the task . I'm not going to lower the other bike .

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 27, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I just recently picked up a 04 WR450 with an already installed lowering link in the rear(1.5 inches lower).

While I do think that it's great for my shorter leggs, I also think that my handling is a bit off. It doesn't seem to turn as well as I thought it would, so I slid the forks up to the second line and that seemed to help a bit.

Anybody have similar experience with a lowering link on their WR?

Thanks in advance.

I have an 05 that I had professionally lowered (no lowering link)

I definitely needed it since I like to ride the technical stuff and my legs aren't super long.

Handling on the bike is not that great if it isn't properly sprung and the clickers adjusted correctly. I think the lowering link makes it more difficult to dial in properly.

My 05 doesn't turn all that well and it has nothing to do with the fact that I lowered it a bit. Sliding the forks up is a good thing to do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted November 27, 2007 - 06:27 PM

Lowering links only lower the rear of the bike and give it that "waay coool chopper style" that makes it turn really nicely in a 10 acre lot, but not in the tight single track. If the bike needs to be lowered have it done correctly by a suspension shop. That way you can keep the balance of the bike and still reach the ground. My .02 --:thumbsup: WR Dave.

• cpr1

Posted November 28, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Thank you for all of your insight...:thumbsup: I greatly appreciate it.

• specialk6r

Posted November 28, 2007 - 12:21 PM

It's turning slower because by dropping the rear you increased the rake (a-la west coast choppers.) I know that everyone says to have a suspension shop do it right by installing shorter springs, but for a trail cruiser couldn't you just drop the fork in the triple clamps the same amount as you lowered the rear? Seems like that would maintain stock geometry. What am I overlooking?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 28, 2007 - 12:38 PM

It's turning slower because by dropping the rear you increased the rake (a-la west coast choppers.) I know that everyone says to have a suspension shop do it right by installing shorter springs, but for a trail cruiser couldn't you just drop the fork in the triple clamps the same amount as you lowered the rear? Seems like that would maintain stock geometry. What am I overlooking?

The forks aren't verticle, so don't think that sliding them up 1 1/2 inches reduces the front height by the same. You need to figure that out.

Also, with your springs compressed more in the rear, I tend to think that the rear end will wallow a bit. You'll notice that when the turn isn't as smooth as asphalt.

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted November 28, 2007 - 01:11 PM

I am in same situation- I installed a lowering link after racking myself up with several falls at a dead stop (I am 6') and I now am going to make an educated guess on raising the tubes in the clamps. I did not note height change in rear, so I do not know what change occured. I ride tight trail not MX- '03 WR450- any help at a guess of how much to raise the forks in the clamp? I was going to go 1/4" for the first try.
I know conventional wisdom is set it up proffessionally, but I paid $1800 for the bike- due to my location it would be $1000 to have it done right- for my riding style I just want to get it closer to level. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.