Carnage! Check this S--T out!!!

43 replies to this topic
  • jclaus98

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:28 PM

So, tore apart my engine this sunday to replace the shift spindle and this is what I found, ENJOY:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice the cam lobe and the rocker worn almost completely though?!?:thumbsup:

Which begs the question, who knows of a good way to increase the oil flow to that side of the head? Obviously, I had some sort of blockage that starved that rocker and lobe of oil, but is there a way to increase the flow to that area??? Anybody with anything would be helpful.

• jjesneck

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Don't see any pictures.

• zerofear66

Posted November 26, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Don't see any pictures.

me either....

• Owyhee

Posted November 26, 2007 - 09:48 PM

I can see pics now.

So, tore apart my engine this sunday to replace the shift spindle and this is what I found, ENJOY:

Wait a minute... you didn't know you had a broken rocker arm until you took the cover off?

"O"

• jclaus98

Posted November 26, 2007 - 09:57 PM

I had been told that the cam lobe was probably worn down, according to the symptoms it was exhibiting, but NO idea it was THAT bad, just lucky I had to tear it down to change replace the shift spindle I guess...

• Owyhee

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:44 PM

I had been told that the cam lobe was probably worn down, according to the symptoms it was exhibiting, but NO idea it was THAT bad, just lucky I had to tear it down to change replace the shift spindle I guess...

That is just awesome. I'd like to find the engineer who designed the XR600 and buy him a beer.

"O"

• martinfan30

Posted November 27, 2007 - 08:07 AM

just make sure the tube from the case to the head is not kinked/plugged. this happens occasionally on these. also repl. the oil pump, cam, rockers, etc.

now is the perfect time for a hotcam!

• husky123

Posted November 27, 2007 - 08:52 AM

That is amazing that thing was even running. If it was a KTM I'd have heard the explosion from here.:thumbsup:

• stepho

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:09 AM

Cant see from the pictures but IF the compression release mechanism was removed always weld up the oil passages or make a sleeve to go over them. Better oiling for the cam

• zipper600

Posted November 27, 2007 - 12:03 PM

same happened to me..but i noticed a ticking..checked valves and one had to much freeplay..same left exhaust valve as you..replaced the RC arm..the cam was not perfect but still works with it..

The reason was the filter on the frame was all clogged with debris and metal shaves..i dont understand why i did not blown the engine...i have pics of the filter..it makes me laugh..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 27, 2007 - 12:33 PM

wow, you ever clean that thing LOL!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 27, 2007 - 03:41 PM

- magnetic drain plug
- change the oil more often
- take the feed tube off once a year and clean it out

• jclaus98

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, I was RELIGIOUS about changing the oil, no more than three rides on a oil/filter and I do have a magnetic drain plug. When I removed the screen from the tube, it was gummed up with the shavings from the rocker arm/cam lobe, but not excessivly dirty, I guess I'll just have to check it more often like everybody says. Still, I'd like to figure out a way to deliver more oil to that specific area, since it seems this is the most common form of failure to these engines. I'm trying to hatch up some sort of alternate delivery but would really appriciate anyone who has already gone through the trial and error phase and come up with something fool-proof. Anybody???

p.s. - The first thing I said when I flipped that cover over and saw the damage, was "it's a wonder it was even running, much less as good as it was!" Gotta love the trusty ol' XR600R!!!

• martinfan30

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:14 PM

i only wonder by changing the oil flow to one part of the engine will affect the delivery to another part.

there is a guy on here that lives in england that has made a larger tube for this reason. hes a road racer over there.

crmc33 is his user name.

Rich.

• jclaus98

Posted November 27, 2007 - 08:58 PM

Thanks martinfan, I'll start there

• crmc33

Posted November 28, 2007 - 05:01 AM

Hi,

Im afraid my oil hose doesnt increase flow, just removess the kinks from the scary looking OE chrome pipe.
If you check your oil pump, oil supply pipe and crank seal on the inside of the clutch cover and rebuild you shouldnt have a problem again.

Tho it sounds queer, the best way Ive found of reducing cam/follower wear is to have them both hard welded. If its done with stellite weld then you could almost run them dry and they wont wear out.

As Ive mentioned before, its worth bearing in mind that some materials such as stellite arent magnetic, so wont show on a magnetic sump plug if any wear takes place.

I got though two hotcams over the last few years, before I found my oil pump outlet was blocked! Thankfully the crank seems to have survived. Proof enough that the cranks roller bearings are less oil sensitive than the top end.

• zipper600

Posted November 28, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Are you kidding me?!?!? XR600 are bullet proof...arent fast as some but are reliable..in the pic i shown you can see as the filter screen was clogged...my bike is from 94 and i bet the previous owner never touched it..it was basically blocked..even in a car when oil level downs the first part to suffer is the head..is a question of gravity...nothing to do about it..stock XR600 oil system is enough..mine is heavily modified and even so it handles it with no problems..

• martinfan30

Posted November 28, 2007 - 01:22 PM

they are very reliable.
but, there are certain weak points and the valve train is one.

• zipper600

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:29 PM

they are very reliable.
but, there are certain weak points and the valve train is one.

and tranny....mine only haves 4 gears:ride: 2nd is broke..dont give a s***

• martinfan30

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:33 PM

and tranny....mine only haves 4 gears:ride: 2nd is broke..dont give a s***

you will when it finally grenades!LOL!:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.