Help!!! - 93' Xr600r

4 replies to this topic
  • jclaus98

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I need help guys! Ok, 93' XR600R, I've got the engine completely torn down after I sheared the shift spindle off at the case in a hare scramble and found some VERY interesting things(which I will save for a separate post, with pics), but my question is this: I need to split the cases in order to replace the shift spindle and I need to know if I can safely remove the left side case first? You see, in my Honda manual, it says to remove the right side case first, and in order to do that, I would need to remove the clutch, oil pump, kick spindle, etc., etc., etc. The left side case has only the flywheel to remove in order to remove it, but the manual says the crankshaft bearing needs to be pressed out of the left side case, while the right side says nothing about being pressed out? Can I do this without ruining something and/or having to replace the crank bearing? Lastly, how the HELL do I get the flywheel off??? The manual says use the special honda tool, but there has got to be another way to get it off??? And which direction are the threads for the flywheel bolt, standard or reverse??? Please help guys, I'm at a loss and REALLY don't want to screw anything up.

• bentbike

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I've done that job before and I don't know how you can pull the flywheel without a puller and not damage it. I know it's a pain but you have to tear the whole thing down to get that shaft out. The only shortcut I've successfully made is not replacing the crank bearings in the case, but they have to keep a tight, interference fit in the case or you're stuck replacing them too. It's really not that bad a job (not that good either). Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Horri

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Gidday,,The Bolt that holds the Flywheel on comes off in an Anti-Clockwise direction.What you will need to get the Flywheel off after you have removed that bolt is another large Bolt.Dimensions are ,,1.5x50 with a 22mm thread.What all that is in Imperial I don't know as we use Metric in this part of the world.Best way to get the first bolt off is with an Electric Impact Driver/Drill or take it to a Tyre shop and use theirs.Warning it can be very hard to get off..Best thing to do is once you have stripped the engine down to the Conrod is put the engine back in the bike and throw a few engine bolts in place to hold it,then take it down to the Tyre shop.The engine mounts give you some solidity should it come down to sockets with large extensions and bits of pipe for more purchase power.

• cleonard

Posted November 26, 2007 - 11:41 PM

As far as I know you have to take all that stuff off to get the cases apart. At least I did when I split my cases.

You can get an aftermarket flywheel puller for one a few $$$. It is just a big bolt.

The manual says to use holders to get the three tough bolt/nuts off. Those are the two ends of the crank and the clutch. I just used a rattle gun. As they are the same torque I just tightened the two ends of the crank against each other. For the clutch I think I put the chain on and used the rear brake to hold the shafts.

I've done that job before and I don't know how you can pull the flywheel without a puller and not damage it. I know it's a pain but you have to tear the whole thing down to get that shaft out. The only shortcut I've successfully made is not replacing the crank bearings in the case, but they have to keep a tight, interference fit in the case or you're stuck replacing them too. It's really not that bad a job (not that good either). Good luck.

The last time I was into my engine the bearings just fell out of the cases. I was very concerned, but when I asked here everyone just said run it that way. I put it back together and I've been riding it every weekend since. I measured the bearings and they seemed to be the correct outside diameter. I figure that the cases are what is shot. Did new bearings fit this issue for you?

• Horri

Posted November 27, 2007 - 12:11 AM

Yeah I should have said Rattle Gun(not up with the terminology) Once down to the Conrod I put a steel rod through the wrist pin and rested it on a couple of bits of timber and used brute socket force to get those two crank ones off(Don't have a Rattle Gun) .The other Clutch one I left the chain on and locked the rear sprocket with a metal drift then used the same brute force method..Must get a RattleGun. That Flywheel one was a real pain,,bikes an 86 XR6 so she was tight.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.