Can't keep battery charged

6 replies to this topic
  • ZEKEDAWG

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I have a 96 xr 600 with a Baja designs kit and I can't keep the battery charged enough to run the headlights.

I am at my wits end. I have talked to baja extensively and will do so again tomorrow. I am on my third regulator. The one I had when I bought the bike, a second from baja( defective) and now a third one(which is acting like the bad ones now) The stator output is fine. 15 v ac and up as the rpm rises, as soon as I hook that wire to the regulator it drops to 7. the dc out of the regulator is a dismal 3-5 v, The battery will die in about 2 minutes and then lights/blinkers won't work even with bike running. The lights work great when hooked up to 12 battery.

I am searching for anything here.

I have checked the connections and even redone them. I have run them through both bullet connectors and straight wire. checked the crimps.

I am almost positive it is another bad regulator.

Could I possibly be getting a bad run of regulators????
Can I be "blowing " them up somehow, do to my neglegence???
Is there something I can do instead of a regulator, or is there a better unit to buy???

I just want to ride, but don't feel safe, with out lights.:thumbsup:

• exaresix

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:43 PM

I went through this same dilemma, and I think some others have too. The AC lighting output of the stock stator is 80 watts — if the stator is working up to par. If you are running a 55 watt headlight and a 15 watt tail light (70 watts baseline), you are pushing the limits. A few taps on the brake light or use of the blinkers will soon drain the miniscule battery. Bottom line is that to make a full electrical system work, you have to either switch to a 35 watt headlight, or upgrade your stator to a 200 watt system (Ricky Stator). Once you do this, there is no reason to even have a battery (unless your state requires it). You can run the whole system DC by using a regulator/rectifier and a battery eliminator. That's what I did, and I'm happy now. Bright headlight, good horn, good blinkers, and no damn battery to worry about! BD does not currently offer a regulator/rectifier that will handle 200 watts, but they are readily available elsewhere on the internet.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:02 PM

I have a 35 watt headlight and the taillight is the stock BD as far as I know which I think is max 25. My thought was to switch to LED taillight. But it doesn't seem to solve the problem.
Don't know if calif needs a battery, If I could simply have reliable lighting I would be happy.

What other regulators could be used?? Where can I get them?

what is a battery eliminator? I could care less if the lights die when the engine dies, I just want to know the brake light is coming on, the blinkers are working and the headlight gives me more light than the set up on my MT bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted November 26, 2007 - 11:28 PM

Did you check the connections from the stator to the regulator like I described in an earlier thread? The two stator wires should go directly to the regulator with no connection to any other wires. The only connection to the frame should be the black wire coming out of the regulator.

I really doubt that three different regulators failed the same way.

CA does require a battery, but I don't have one. The way I look at it, if you are going to be on the road at night then a battery is a good idea. I barely ever go on the pavement.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:35 AM

What color wires?
from stator I have black red to black red
white yellow to yellow

I can't be sure where the green hooks to. But I think that may be the problem. It seemed to me that my wiring didn't exactly match BD schematic( typical for my luck)

Baja designs seems to think the same way and I agree. No three regulators should be bad. They say the green wire from the stator should hook to one of the yellow lead into the regulator. Seems plausible, but it was never hooked up that way when I got it. I noted every connection before undoing. It was probably hooked up wrong to begin with, but the PO rode the bike with no problems( that he told me).

yay.

• exaresix

Posted November 28, 2007 - 06:56 AM

I have a 35 watt headlight and the taillight is the stock BD as far as I know which I think is max 25. My thought was to switch to LED taillight. But it doesn't seem to solve the problem.
Don't know if calif needs a battery, If I could simply have reliable lighting I would be happy.

What other regulators could be used?? Where can I get them?

what is a battery eliminator? I could care less if the lights die when the engine dies, I just want to know the brake light is coming on, the blinkers are working and the headlight gives me more light than the set up on my MT bike.

For the stock stator output, the Honda regulator is as good as any. I'm not an electrical genius, but having just set up a bike like this, I'll give my 2 cents. A bad regulator generally does not drain a battery. Remember, a stock xr600r without a BD kit is set up to light up a 35 W battery and tail light off straight AC with no battery at all. If this is all you need, then you don't need a BD kit, just go back to stock. You can only use a battery eliminator if you go to a DC system as on the BD, but most people upgrade to a higher output stator when doing this. My guess is that you have a bad stator. This would be a good time to upgrade to a high output stator. $130 from Ricky Stator.

• bigairx400

Posted November 28, 2007 - 07:30 AM

I think I would go with the hi output Ricky Strator. Like exaresix is saying, it sounds like you are using more wattage than your stocker is puting out. I have read of guys riding z400's putting too much lightage on the quad then having to go with the Strator hi output and that fixed the prob.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.