NX650 shift leaver same as XR650L?

9 replies to this topic
  • SteveON

Posted November 26, 2007 - 04:58 PM

The shift lever on my newly aquired NX650 is toast. A previous owner tried to weld it and messed it up pretty bad. I was wondering if I picked up and aftermarket shift lever for a XR650L if it would work on my NX650?
Thanks,
SteveON

• fishpost19

Posted November 26, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Most gear levers will fit on the spline, the only thing you need to get right is the bend/shape so you don't have rubbing against the case, and length so it is correct distance in front of the peg, depending how far forward the gear lever spline is of the peg, if that makes sense... go to a wrecker with your old one, and see if they're the same size/shape as the XR, and if it is, buy the wrecker's one, or knowing it's the same, buy an aftermarket.

• martinfan30

Posted November 27, 2007 - 08:03 AM

its pretty much the same engine, should be fine.

• SteveON

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Thanks guys. I went to Cycle gear yesterday and picked up one for a XR600. Looks to be close in length and layout. Just hope the shaft/splines match up.
SteveON

• martinfan30

Posted November 28, 2007 - 03:25 PM

it should!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SteveON

Posted November 29, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Well I tried to put the shift lever on today but it's not going to work like it is. The shaft size is fine but it doesn't stick out far enough to the side and so it hits the side of the engine. Wondering if I can bend it to the right shape? It's a MSR aftermarket brand.
Thanks,
SteveON

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 29, 2007 - 03:57 PM

They (The MSRs) are pretty bendy- it should bend a bit without issues.

Dave

• SteveON

Posted November 29, 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Should I try and heat it as I bend it or will it be OK do bend it cold?

• martinfan30

Posted November 29, 2007 - 09:01 PM

i had the SAME issue when i put the MSR on my 650L.

all i did was rotate the lever down one tooth and it clears fine. ive had no problems after, shifting up.

the MSR is a solid piece. mine will not bend like a stock lever does.

i even dropped it by accident on that side and the lever merely just tilted the foot peg up a bit. no prob.

• SteveON

Posted December 06, 2007 - 10:11 PM

I managed to mount the MSR lever one spline down like martinfan30 suggested and then bent it slightly outward by hand. Works perfect! Thanks for all the help guys!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.