How's this deal?? XR650L coming home Saturday.

14 replies to this topic
  • WitsBusa

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Ok, I've decided to pull the trigger on a 2003 XR650L and will be picking it up this coming Saturday. Bike is in good shape with smog block off kit installed, light weight bars, skid plate and corbin seat installed. Really nice guy selling it, who is the original owner, who explains that he wasn't using the bike much (only about 2200 miles), and actually purchased a 400cc burgman for his riding time..

Anyway, he started with the bike priced at $3800 and has come down to $3k.. Seems like a reasonable deal here in the Philly area.. Any thoughts on that price?

In the meantime, I'm starting to look at my list of projects to address when I bring 'er home.. The block off plates are on there, but I'm not sure if the bike was rejetted. I'm going to have to research aftermarket exhausts on this bike..

I like to cut some weight, including getting rid of that big ol' taillight / license plate bracket.. What are some options for replacing that unit with a flush light / bracket mount?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciate.

• Cocky Rooster

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like you've already made your decision so I am not sure why you are asking us for advice on the price.

Maier mfg. makes a 600r fender (I got one in black) that bolts right up and gives it the motocross look, and Acerbis and Baja designs makes a tail light kit.

Congratulations!

• WitsBusa

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Sounds like you've already made your decision so I am not sure why you are asking us for advice on the price.

Maier mfg. makes a 600r fender (I got one in black) that bolts right up and gives it the motocross look, and Acerbis and Baja designs makes a tail light kit.

Congratulations!

In response to your first inquiry.. Always curious what kind of deal I'm getting, whether it is before, during or after the transaction. From the bikes I've seen on ebay, cycletrader and on the classifieds here, it seems like a good price. Can't ever have too much feedback, however, from my perspective.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the tips on the other items. I'll take a look. :thumbsup:

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 01:06 PM

Ok, I've decided to pull the trigger on a 2003 XR650L and will be picking it up this coming Saturday. Bike is in good shape with smog block off kit installed, light weight bars, skid plate and corbin seat installed. Really nice guy selling it, who is the original owner, who explains that he wasn't using the bike much (only about 2200 miles), and actually purchased a 400cc burgman for his riding time..

Anyway, he started with the bike priced at $3800 and has come down to $3k.. Seems like a reasonable deal here in the Philly area.. Any thoughts on that price?

In the meantime, I'm starting to look at my list of projects to address when I bring 'er home.. The block off plates are on there, but I'm not sure if the bike was rejetted. I'm going to have to research aftermarket exhausts on this bike..

I like to cut some weight, including getting rid of that big ol' taillight / license plate bracket.. What are some options for replacing that unit with a flush light / bracket mount?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciate.

decent price, low miles? here is my BD kit. i have a box of shaved pork that weighs about 30 pounds.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• WitsBusa

Posted November 26, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Sweet.. That's what I'm talking about.. Do you have any other pictures of your bike from different angles? Is that one of the BD enduro packages or something? I haven't really started looking at their stuff, but I'll have to do so after I get the bike in the garage.

I couldn't tell if you were asking or commenting on the price / mileage with the "?" at the end.. $3k and about 2,200 miles if you missed it in the original post.

• Whiteman

Posted November 26, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Thats a pretty good deal, I would have bought it. I picked up an 03 for 2700 but it had 9,300 miles on her.

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 01:17 PM

ya i missed it. i have also done a battery relocation and that was the biggest weight savings. ITS JUST the BD taillight assy.
xr400 front fender/crf450 rear. hotcam just done, fcr 41 pumper.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WitsBusa

Posted November 26, 2007 - 01:26 PM

Looks sharp. I like how you have it set up. Thanks a lot for the info. and pictures! :thumbsup:

• Old Dog

Posted November 27, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Excellent mods martinfan30, your bike looks very nice! :thumbsup:

Gotta get rid of those saggy assed, crumpled up fork boots though, they detract from the overall look. Get yourself a set of Dirt Skins or the Velcro Seal Savers, you don't have to remove your fork tubes to install these ones, just wrap them around your forks and use the stock clamps or the provided zip ties (I found the stock clamps hold them in place better).

• martinfan30

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:03 PM

Excellent mods martinfan30, your bike looks very nice! :busted:

Gotta get rid of those saggy assed, crumpled up fork boots though, they detract from the overall look. Get yourself a set of Dirt Skins or the Velcro Seal Savers, you don't have to remove your fork tubes to install these ones, just wrap them around your forks and use the stock clamps or the provided zip ties (I found the stock clamps hold them in place better).

ok, thanks! ive been looking for a better looking boot now the fork brace has changed the fit of them.:thumbsup:

• Old Dog

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:56 PM

ok, thanks! ive been looking for a better looking boot now the fork brace has changed the fit of them.:thumbsup:

I had the same problem when I installed my fork brace, except I screwed up my stock fork boots trying to "modify" them to fit to the point that they were totally F.U.B.A.R. That's when I started looking for replacements, the Velcro Seal Savers were my preferred choice because I didn't feel like pulling the front wheel off, removing the fork tubes, etc. (I'm lazy by nature). I ordered two sets of of the Seal Savers because they're made out of Neoprene I figured they'd be susceptible to deterioration from exposure to UV rays (which they are). The ones I currently have on have been on for a season and still are fairly flexible. I'll probable peel them off about mid-summer and replace them. I figure for $20 a shot you can't go wrong. :busted:

• martinfan30

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:07 PM

i really like the looks of those from the links you posted.

do you have a pic of them on your XRL?

yes i have the eternal lazy curse too!lol.

thanks,

Rich.

• Old Dog

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Yessir, just click on my "Garage" and you'll be able to see some pics of them in use. :thumbsup:

• AtomicGeo

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:04 PM

Nice work...Now just get rid of the heavy steel tank and that'll shave off some more weight (I would've thought that would've been one of your first mods).

Geo

ya i missed it. i have also done a battery relocation and that was the biggest weight savings. ITS JUST the BD taillight assy.
xr400 front fender/crf450 rear. hotcam just done, fcr 41 pumper.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• sploogemonkey

Posted November 28, 2007 - 01:20 AM

Martinfan30,

I was checkin' out your photos and realized that your battery is in the airbox. It totally threw me for a loop until I realized that you've removed the intake boot and are running a Uni pod filter directly off of your FCR41.

That's fricken cool and the whole set-up looks totally clean! :thumbsup:

That's definitely taking un-corking to the next level.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.