'95 XR650L Cylinder block issue

7 replies to this topic
  • pharme

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Greetings, I've some serious problem with my block. Engine oil burning off leaving white trails of smoke at end pipe (this only happens at starting up). Having been to several mechanics, all came with similar conclusions, piston ring, valve seals/guides issues. As my engine was recently (half year ago) top overhauled, i had a new piston (WISECO) with 1mm overbore and didn't have it properly done (hence the problem), most mechanics recommended to get a new cylinder block except for one who said by customising a sleeve would resolve it, instead of buying a new block. I want to ask if this would really be a permanent rectification to my problem or temporary. Should i go for a new block instead. I want to ride for another 10 years with this bike, so to speak.
Any comments on this please.

Thanks

pharme

• cleonard

Posted November 26, 2007 - 09:54 AM

If it only smokes at startup the problem is the valve seals. It does not need to be fixed.

If it continues to smoke or uses a lot of oil than it does need to be fixed. Do you have to add oil every ride?

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 09:55 AM

i would resleeve it with newrings. if it smokes only on startup, that points to valve guide seals.

xr's only sells sleeves.

• pharme

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:07 PM

forgot to mention that i indeed am topping up engine oil about every 2-300km, but smokes only comes during startup. Seems like a fixed is needed eh?. Would the sleeve really work on long run?
Thanks guys for the quick response.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:09 PM

forgot to mention that i indeed am topping up engine oil about every 2-300km, but smokes only comes during startup. Seems like a fixed is needed eh?. Would the sleeve really work on long run?
Thanks guys for the quick response.

what do you mean on "a long run"? long cruises? i dont see why any reliability would be affected.

• pharme

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:26 PM

what do you mean on "a long run"? long cruises? i dont see why any reliability would be affected.

ie to be ridden for many years with the sleeves. To rephrase, would the sleeve be a compromise to a new block cylinder essentially?

• cleonard

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:55 PM

The sleeve is a steel liner that the piston is in. It is replaceable. Unless the aluminum of the cylinder is cracked or otherwise damaged a new sleeve will fix the problem.

There are many oversize pistons available. If you are not at the maximum size then the cylinder can be bored to the next larger piston size. I think that there are pistons available to 103mm. I know that Wiseco makes a 102.4mm piston for the 650L.

Sometimes rings do not seat correctly after a rebuild.

How much oil do you add at 300kms? If it is more than about 200 to 250 cc's (ml) or so then it is using a lot.

Extended high speeds may blow oil out the crankcase breather. Poor ring seal will also blow oil out the breather. On US bikes the crankcase breather is vented into the airbox. Look for oil in there. There is also a bottom vent that would leak oil.

A few years ago my XR600 had worn rings. Oil dripped out of the crankcase breather lines when ever I came to a stop.

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 01:10 PM

ie to be ridden for many years with the sleeves. To rephrase, would the sleeve be a compromise to a new block cylinder essentially?

i would say no problem at all.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.