2006 Yamaha YZ 450F

35 replies to this topic
  • 642MX

Posted December 03, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I would say that Chilton's is a walking Grayracer.

Maybe Grayracer works for Chilton?.....:thumbsup:

• NorCal

Posted December 03, 2007 - 06:05 PM

No, IMO, they don't. They are different than CRF's which are different than RMZ's which are different than KTM's which are not the same as KXF's, however, and since all of us are different than everyone else, you find that we all don't like the same thing all the time.

It's funny, because the '06 handled great when it was introduced, and then in '07, a couple of mags started talking about how bad they pushed. Then the others jumped on the wagon, and before you knew it, people who never knew they had a problem all of a sudden had a problem.

Recently, one member of this forum has expressed disliking certain aspects of the '06's turning character, and so decided to by another brand touted as cornering better. He now reports that, while he likes the new bike a great deal, it's taking him longer than he thought it would to get to be as comfortable on the new bike as he was on the old. This says nothing negative about him or either bike, just that they, and we, are all a little bit unique, and have our strengths and weaknesses.

Just don't let them pull the "you just aren't fast enough to know how bad they handle" line on you. That'll be next.

If you like it. it works for you. Who gives a rosy red rat's tail what "they" think?

That sounds like a logical explanation. I'm just tired of people saying the '06
doesn't turn. I think people need to improve their personal riding ability rather
than making excuses. I just rode yesterday with a guy who is a A class hare scrambler on a 2008 CRF450R.
We were pretty much neck and neck the whole day. I didn't feel like he really had an edge over me.

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Whats the deal with that? Bad chains or lack of maintenace?

I don't know, but IMO, when you pull a timing chain out and find it full of kinks, or loose at the pins and "stretched", the chain has failed. Lubrication could be involved, maybe. But if the chain is tight enough, but slips on a cam sprocket, I suspect a partial seizure of the cam. I haven't seen this happen, only read reports of it from owners, so I haven't been able to analyze any.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 04, 2007 - 10:59 AM

for this revelation on 06 Cam chains....how many hrs on the bikes that failed?

Curious ... this is the first I have heard this.....:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2007 - 11:53 AM

for this revelation on 06 Cam chains....how many hrs on the bikes that failed?

I've only seen it posted about 3-4 times total, and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. With that small a sample, it's hard to take anything from it unless you can see the stuff in person.

• eli366

Posted December 05, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Stillsmokin's bike is the yellow version so it looks sweet. Better than any recent Yami in my opinion. We rode each others bikes(mine is an 06 CRF450R) and his is way different than mine. Not really better or worse, but different. The front end on his seems twitchy to me, but that could be front tire too. I have mine set up how it like too. The Yami motor is super smooth and pulls great. The CRF is more abrupt/ hits harder, again not better or worse just different.

He got a great bike. I tend to believe all of the modern 4 strokes are pretty damn good just pick a color, twist and go.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted December 05, 2007 - 07:37 PM

I tend to believe all of the modern 4 strokes are pretty damn good just pick a color, twist and go.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

• Kasjok

Posted December 05, 2007 - 09:03 PM

A little off-topic as you all ready are talking about cam chain. My friend told me that I should be replacing my cam chain at the same time I am changing my piston. That`s like 80 hours for me, but he has yz250f and changes every 40-50hours. Is this true you that you should replace your cam chain at the same time you are changing piston? Or is it only something for 250f`s?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted December 06, 2007 - 06:24 AM

A little off-topic as you all ready are talking about cam chain. My friend told me that I should be replacing my cam chain at the same time I am changing my piston. That`s like 80 hours for me, but he has yz250f and changes every 40-50hours. Is this true you that you should replace your cam chain at the same time you are changing piston? Or is it only something for 250f`s?

Thank you Kasjok. This is what I was looking for. 80-100hrs I would do complete topend and chain and CamChain Tensioner:thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted December 06, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Is this true you that you should replace your cam chain at the same time you are changing piston? Or is it only something for 250f`s?

You should replace your cam chain often. I replace ours every year. Its cheap insurance. :thumbsup:

• youngr24

Posted December 06, 2007 - 12:56 PM

The cam chain on my 06 went out after only about 30 hours on the bike. Bad deal. The bike would not turn over at all (thought i blew it up) and I was miles from the truck. After inspecting it, it looked stretched and kinked. I replaced the cam chain and the cam chain tightener. Easy fix. I haven't had any more problems with it or the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted December 06, 2007 - 01:26 PM

youngr24,

Did your tensioner fail, or did you replace it because you were afraid to reuse it? If you believe it failed, I'd be interested in seeing it.

• todds924

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:58 PM

The cam chain on my 06 went out after only about 30 hours on the bike. Bad deal. The bike would not turn over at all (thought i blew it up) and I was miles from the truck. After inspecting it, it looked stretched and kinked. I replaced the cam chain and the cam chain tightener. Easy fix. I haven't had any more problems with it or the bike.

Thats an "ODD DUCK"! A cam chain wearing out after only 30 hours? I would love to see that and the tensioner. Better yet, the answer to the question Why?

• youngr24

Posted December 07, 2007 - 06:39 PM

I replaced the tensioner just in case. it did not show any wear but I didn't want to take the chance of the tensioner being the root cause.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2007 - 12:36 PM

The reason I asked is that I have heard the tensioners blamed for several failures that I frankly doubt they had anything to do with. The YZF tensioners are an elegantly simple and extremely effective design that is, IMO, almost completely foolproof. And here I say almost only as a concession to the fact that nothing is perfect. But I still have never seen one that has failed unless it was packed full of metal debris from some other problem and jammed. If a faulty tensioner exists, I'd like to see it just for the sake of my own curiosity.

• youngr24

Posted December 08, 2007 - 02:33 PM

I really, really don't think that the tensiorner was the problem, as you said it is a simple design that works. But having to push a bike for over an hour I did not want to take the chance.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.