Help! Leaking stator gasket

3 replies to this topic
  • exaresix

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:59 PM

After installing a new high output stator, and using a new Honda gasket, I developed a leak. So I redid it again with another brand new OEM Honda gasket. This time I meticulously cleaned all gasket debris from all surfaces, and used a thin coat of RTV sealant on each side of the gasket. Once again an oil leak, about three drops a day. Any suggestions? It crossed my mind that the black rubber 'grommet' that holds the exiting electrical wires may need sealing as well (I didn't do that).

• cleonard

Posted November 25, 2007 - 09:15 PM

The rubber plug needs RTV for sure. Can you tell where the oil is coming from? My XR leaks from the clutch actuator.

You can put RTV on the outside if you know where it is leaking. Tip the bike on it's side and clean the case with solvent. You don't want the oil to leak while the RTV cures.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exaresix

Posted November 25, 2007 - 09:21 PM

The oil is coming from higher up on the right — from the three o'clock position or higher. I'll put some RTV on the rubber plug and see what happens.

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:45 AM

make sure you torque it too. silicone can make a gasket "squish" out under uneven/incorrect torque.

i dont beleive there is slicone on that gasket from the factory, so i wouldnt use any myself.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.