xr650r 2nd gear slipping???

2 replies to this topic
  • baldy7628

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:52 PM

I am looking for some informed advise. I have an '01 xr650r that acts like the chain is slipping in 2nd gear only (no other gears) and the chain and sprockets are in good shap and properly adjusted. Is it possible for 2nd gear to be worn and the dogs slipping under power but not popping out of gear? Or what other possibilities?
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BackinAction

Posted November 25, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Any interesting sounds with that slipping? Curious because I have a honking sound in 2nd on my '97 XR600R. I posted a thread about it not long ago.

• Kawabuggy

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:37 AM

My bike does this in 4th gear.. Under full throttle, it feels like you are pulling in & releasing the clutch intermittently without letting off the gas.. You can feel the bike trying to pull, but then slip, pull, slip, pull, pull, slip, slip and the bike is jerking violently while this is happening.

Only happens in 4th gear. Upshift to 5th-no problem. Downshift to 3rd-no problem. I already pulled the motor apart and could not see any obvious damage. I put it all back together, and the problem is still there-but not as bad.

The only thing I can venture is that the shift fork for 4th, which is bolted to the rail that the other forks slide on, is either not pushing the 2 gears together well enough, or that the fork got bent somehow. With my transmission in my hand and manually selecting the different gears, it was obvious that 4th had the greatest clearance between the two gears when engaged than any of the other gears. If I pull it down again, I will replace 4th fork, main shaft 4th, & cluster shaft 4th. Just to see if that fixes it.

Please post back and let us know what you find out with your machine, and/or what fixes it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.