2006 YZ450f - knocking sound ? video

41 replies to this topic
  • tnat1

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Yes its the one from Prosource, I just noticed the subframe, ill try and straighten it. Anyone have any suggestions on straightening it?

I chacked the valves today all within specs.

How can you tell if its a 07 or 06?

• buzzgrizz

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Just ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• rmzRacer293

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:43 PM

Yes its the one from Prosource, I just noticed the subframe, ill try and straighten it. Anyone have any suggestions on straightening it?

I chacked the valves today all within specs.

How can you tell if its a 07 or 06?

Im pretty sure its an 06, but they got 07 graphics on it. hopefully the bike works out good for you. :thumbsup:

• pimpnutts

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:36 PM

Mine makes the same sound it helps if you turn the idle up, I don't know if they still do it but pro source used to waranty the used bikes they sold my friend bought a KX250 and used thehell out of the waranty:applause:

• Kasjok

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:01 PM

Check your VIN on the frame. The 10th digit should be "7" if it`s a 2007 bike, if it`s actually 2006 bike the digit will be "6"

• yamaha racing 230

Posted November 27, 2007 - 03:47 PM

my 400 has that knock but not as loud as that and when u rev it u cant hear it i would have the valves checked

• maxima450f

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:47 PM

I own the same bike. You have a problem. Turn it off. Or it will be way more expensive. Mine has never made noise like that.

• steve_97060

Posted November 27, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Does the noise go away when you pull in the clutch?

• tnat1

Posted November 27, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I took it in today to a local motocross racing shop and had the top mechanic look at he said its normal for them to sound like that, hes one of the top wrenchs in nothern Illinois. All he said he heard was maybe a little cam chain slap when reving it. I guess im just paranoid. I checked the valves yesterday and all are in spec.

• matts06yzf

Posted November 28, 2007 - 06:22 AM

Its fine mine has sounded like this for over 200 hrs of hard riding:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Duster2

Posted November 28, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Sounds just like my 07' box of rocks! Mine sounded like that right off the showroom floor.

• installer

Posted June 06, 2008 - 06:46 PM

mine sounds just like that and I ride with four other 06,07 yz450 owners
theirs does not sound like that,I have narrowed it down to the clutch
check your basket for ridges on the fins

• mjw1

Posted June 06, 2008 - 06:59 PM

That knock you are hearing is piston slop from wear you should put a new piston and rings and wrist pin on your bike and that will quite it down there will always be engine noise but yours is a little loud. I have a 1999 yz400f and had dto replace pistons every other year. and the valves on yamahas are bullit proof i have been riding my bike for 10 years and never had to adjust the valves yet. and if the crank bearings are worn out the bike will vibrate bad when you give it gas.

• abs5

Posted April 19, 2009 - 05:47 AM

I just bought a clean 2006 450F and it has a loud knock at idle similar to the one in this video clip. Any recommendations? I saw mixed input in this post. most seem to say it was normal. The sound goes away after reving and the bike typically starts on the first one or two kicks.

• TIG88

Posted April 20, 2009 - 07:09 AM

I just bought a clean 2006 450F and it has a loud knock at idle similar to the one in this video clip. Any recommendations? I saw mixed input in this post. most seem to say it was normal. The sound goes away after reving and the bike typically starts on the first one or two kicks.

Its hard to tell without hearing it. The best thing you can do is find another YZ and listen to it. I would have not bought my YZ had i not looked on this forum first and read how noisey these things are. There are all sorts of noises coming from it at or around idle that still make me nervous sometimes. All the others ive heard sound similar though. I thought his was excessive though

• Troutman

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:00 PM

Mine sounds the same and runs like a raped ape

• 07gixxer600

Posted April 20, 2009 - 08:22 PM

Maybe the video makes it sound worse... Im around yamaha 4 stokes, and all 4 strokes for that mater at the track all the time and have yet to hear one sound like that. If that were mine id be shutting that thing off immediately and checking for some problems.

Could be just the camera, because that sounds like a normal 450 engine noise just much louder.

If the engine noise is louder than the exhaust noise even with the stock mufflers that come with these I would be scared.

• rufusz

Posted April 21, 2009 - 12:26 AM

Maybe we should create a new thread, and make it sticky also and post videos of how our bikes sound with some little spec, like aftermarket cams, pistons maybe also exhaust, this way everybody can tell if his sounds right/wrong. (Not for showing off how loud your exhaust is)
What do you think??? Gray?

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2009 - 06:36 AM

I have developed the ability to listen to engines in person and tell exactly what's going on inside of them with an accuracy that surprises even me at times. But even given that, I find electronic recordings of engine noises to be about 88% useless as a diagnostic tool. I don't think that one can really tell anything from them.

• abs5

Posted April 21, 2009 - 01:42 PM

Sorry I'm a newbie and should have started a new post - I found this old thread from 2007 after doing a search 06 engine knock- my 2006 sounded similar to Tnat1's video. Through a PM Tnat1 did let me know his bike did clock over 75 hrs since the time of his original post with no problems. That was good to hear. So in short.... I plan to ride it and enjoy. Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.