What am I doing wrong?

5 replies to this topic
  • TeamPrecisionIT

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:59 PM

I have gone through three sets of fork seals in 4 rides. I have an 03 and have replaced them myself each time. I am going to buy new bushings, seals, dust seals and circlips (or whatever they are called). Im lost because I follow all the steps in the manual except I use PVC to drive the seals in...any ideas?

• TeamPrecisionIT

Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:08 PM

Damn I just priced all of that and its over $100, damn.

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:47 PM

My first guess is that there is a vertical scratch or a burred dent on your fork tubes that's causing the failures.

My second inclination is to tell you to buy a real seal driver.

The only other thing I can think of now is that your bushings are way loose, or you aren't covering the top of the fork tube in plastic when you slide the seals on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crashyz426

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:33 PM

pivot works and race tech both make a kit that comes with everything for about $75. I use electrical tape on top of the fork tube when I slide the seal on. Still have problems, then you may have a bent fork tube or like gray said a scratch or burr on the tube. Real seal drivers help

• smokin529

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:39 PM

I had the same problem with seals in my '04 until I bought a good seal driver. I had a hard time getting the seals seated completely with pvc. The snap ring will still go in even if the seal isn't seated all the way.

• TeamPrecisionIT

Posted November 26, 2007 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.