Power wheelie on YZ 2T vs. WR450F

22 replies to this topic
  • shrubitup

Posted November 25, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I currently have a YZ250 2T. I love it. However, everybody talks up and down how nice the WR450F is. I'm curious.

ONE of the things I really like about my YZ250 are the power wheelies. I now have 14/52 gearing and a rear Dunlop D756 which makes it stand skyward upon blipping the throttle where it comes into the mid-range surge in the powerband. I love this. I weigh 250 pounds. I only trail ride.

If I had a WR450F, can I expect the same given there's no "powerband"?

If I ever switch, I'd hate to loose this. My XR650R fully uncorked wouldn't do this. Will the WR? Also, any years of the big bore WR to stay away from? I am cheap and won't buy a new one.

• tweav

Posted November 25, 2007 - 12:26 PM

I almost had my 07 come back over on me going into 5th gear with 15 / 50 gearing . but I would not say it is as snappy as a 250 smoker or as light . if I ever get mine tuned right we will see but it is close power to wieght wise

• geoffro

Posted November 25, 2007 - 12:29 PM

I rode 250 2t's for many years and understand the instant response you talk about which is great.I now have a WR 450(still standard) and yes the bike WILL pull power wheelies in 1st,2nd and 3rd.The bike comes up a bit slower than a 2t but more controllable.A friend of mine has a 06 WR with a pipe and his comes up in 4th with throttle. Once you do the "free mods" it will RIP even more.

• shrubitup

Posted November 25, 2007 - 01:48 PM

I rode 250 2t's for many years and understand the instant response you talk about which is great.I now have a WR 450(still standard) and yes the bike WILL pull power wheelies in 1st,2nd and 3rd.The bike comes up a bit slower than a 2t but more controllable.A friend of mine has a 06 WR with a pipe and his comes up in 4th with throttle. Once you do the "free mods" it will RIP even more.

My weight makes the power wheelie come on very controllable on my YZ 2T. Yesterday I came much closer to flipping the bike but just quickly rolled off the throttle and had the front wheel back in control in no time. That really surprised me because I'd usually only get up to 45 degrees at best. It's my new tire and the fact that I had enough room to open it up.

I have sentimental reasons for this fondness of 2T wheelies. Back in the day, in Junior High, I'd ride my buddies 1979 CR250 Elsinore and his 1978 KX250. Same thing. Power wheelies like you wouldn't believe because I barely weighed 100 pounds at the time. I could just barely stand tip-toed on a rock next to the bike. Now, due to my heavy weight many bikes won't come up for me unless its my YZ. The recent gear change and brand new tire have quite a bit to do with it I'm sure. No motor mods save for the Pro Circuit spark arrestor.

Any WR4XXF heavyweight riders out there that power wheelie on demand? Should I consider a YZ4XXF instead?

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:57 PM

Any WR4XXF heavyweight riders out there that power wheelie on demand? Should I consider a YZ4XXF instead?

yes...provided there is traction:thumbsup:

• shrubitup

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:20 PM

yes...provided there is traction:thumbsup:

Now, this is where the 4 stroke is supposed to excel over my two stroke (traction department). When I have total traction is when my power wheelies occur. So, the 4T ought to have better traction and therefore more power wheelies???:thumbsup:

• redswr

Posted November 25, 2007 - 08:45 PM

Now, this is where the 4 stroke is supposed to excel over my two stroke (traction department). When I have total traction is when my power wheelies occur. So, the 4T ought to have better traction and therefore more power wheelies???:thumbsup:

i've pulled in the clutch in 5th gear at the dunes with a paddle doing around 60 and when i let go the front end came up pretty easy... i can't do the same with a knobby though because its to soft.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 25, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Allow me to elaborate:ride:

On clean hardpacked surfaces, concrete, and in loam the front comes up on demand. In sand, mud, or hardpack with gravel or sand on the surface it takes some finesse as the rear tire likes to spin. Thats what I meant:thumbsup:

For what its worth my WR is much easier to wheelie than my friends '01 CR 250R.

• shrubitup

Posted November 25, 2007 - 11:29 PM

CRs are slugs compared to YZs. Although, the 2001 CR was notable for its motor......:thumbsup: What's your weight? The ideal traction you've described is where I power wheelie my YZ. Anything slippery and I've got my back tire leading my front tire if I am really on it:jawdrop:. Clutch and throttle control are my friends.

• geoffro

Posted November 26, 2007 - 03:42 AM

There are quite a few variables you are talking about here.Traction= type of ground:tar = instant wheelie,gravel =wheelspin,nice loamy soil = somewhere in the middle depending where your weight is,on the tank or back of the seat. 4 stroke does have more traction because it is heavier,but bare in mind getting the wheel up,traction is more important for that instant when the power is applied.Not trying to get too technical here but I spend WAY too much time wheeling on any surface half the time I'm out "playing".You WILL love a uncorked WR450 with a pipe if you like the odd wheely!!!
PS I miss my two stroke mx bikes as well:confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted November 26, 2007 - 11:14 AM

Yep, I was talking about traction on compacted gravel roads, dirt roads, wide two track trails with very little mud. I always sit on the front of the tank and then once it gets up I move towards the back to keep it up if desired.

The odd wheelie is always welcome with me. Gotta pipe the WR to get that huh?

I'm curious about the WR and you miss your old 2T MX bike. Bikes are funny that way!

• Gandalf_WR450

Posted November 26, 2007 - 02:02 PM

I currently have a YZ250 2T. I love it. However, everybody talks up and down how nice the WR450F is. I'm curious.

ONE of the things I really like about my YZ250 are the power wheelies. I now have 14/52 gearing and a rear Dunlop D756 which makes it stand skyward upon blipping the throttle where it comes into the mid-range surge in the powerband. I love this. I weigh 250 pounds. I only trail ride.

If I had a WR450F, can I expect the same given there's no "powerband"?

I am #215 with gear and light pack- my 2003 WR450, with a corked up exhaust, will lift 1 thru 3rd. It took me awhile to realize I wasnt giving the throttle enough snap, but once I did my part, I had no problem lifting the front up.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:35 PM

CRs are slugs compared to YZs. Although, the 2001 CR was notable for its motor......:thumbsup: What's your weight? The ideal traction you've described is where I power wheelie my YZ. Anything slippery and I've got my back tire leading my front tire if I am really on it:jawdrop:. Clutch and throttle control are my friends.

Yes, the 2001 CR 250R with the right carb has a pretty versitile engine for a 2T

I probably weigh more than you

I suck at wheelies

With that said, the WR makes me look good :busted:

• redswr

Posted November 26, 2007 - 11:20 PM

Gotta pipe the WR to get that huh?

all you need to do is remove the baffle at the end of the exhuast and you won't be able to keep the front end down:thumbsup:

• geoffro

Posted November 27, 2007 - 02:55 AM

Shrubit,you dont HAVE to put a pipe on for wheelie power but it does bring out the best in the bike.The free mods also make it closer to mx450 power.
I miss the 2t because the WR is SO easy to ride and almost spoils you.
You can ride like a novice and have power at any time in any gear.The 2t rewards the slightly more experienced rider with BIG BIG smiles(and a little more tiredness and armpump I think)but its good for you....better than sitting in front of the TV...

• mikeythefokker

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:57 PM

I have an 07 wr450, and my roommate has a yz250, and when I ride his bike I just have to work a lot harder all the time. My bike does wheelie pretty easily in the first two gears with no clutching, just throttle. Unlike a two stroke though, you can't Blaaaap it of little jumps in any gear. There is too much compression, and the fourstroke motor doesn't seem to have the same instant suspension preload that the two stroke does. You need more speed to deal with jumping the bigger bike. The 2t puts a power stroke to the ground every two strokes, while with the four its every four strokes, and in jumping and playing around and spazzing out, the two stroke is always going to be better. But when I'm going to ride 60 or 70 miles in a day, I'm glad that I'm not a two stroker.

• V1Racing

Posted January 04, 2009 - 09:45 PM

On steep hills, the power-wheelie rubber-band action of the 2T can bite you in the ass because the front end is happy to lift rather quickly compared to the 450. It seems like a 450 is much better than a 250 2T on hill climbs... I have the 11oz FWW and I feel like it wheelies better (more controllably) because the rear tire spins a little less.

• wr_450_rider

Posted January 05, 2009 - 04:34 PM

my 04 450 will pull the front wheel in any gear even 5th without any effort and thats with stock gearing but i only weigh 170 with gear
the 4stroke is alot slower coming up than a two stroke but if you crack the throttle quik enough it will pull pretty good i find it hard to keep the front wheel on the ground when im riding in sticky clay but get alot of wheelspin in the dry dirt or mud it all depends on traction i guess

• CanadianWR450

Posted January 07, 2009 - 03:51 PM

I'm 240 with no gear, with a '04 WR 450, with all free mods.
Mine very rarely pulls up the front, but it's not a lack of power, it's a serious lack of traction. My bike roost's, and roosts, and roosts some more, all the time, all gears. I'm running a Maxxis desert IT, and it's mostly hard pack, and rocky around here. I LOVE the Maxxis because it wear's FOREVER but may not be the BEST traction wise. My last tire was a dunlop M12, and it got chewed up pretty quick, but bike was still a roost monster with it. I figure the Desert IT will last 3 times longer then the M12 did.

My traction issue might be my suspension settings....I'm still a newbie at setting things like that up, and I have it where it's VERY comfy for my riding style, but it might not be the best traction set up

• whoops dude

Posted January 07, 2009 - 04:35 PM

I pulled out the baffle in my stock exjaust and my wr is now a wheelie monster

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.