Need to upgrade my forks..'83 XL600R

4 replies to this topic
  • Timmerz

Posted November 25, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Does anyone know off the tops of their heads what forks I might be able to swap-onto my old XL600 to get me some much-needed travel upgrade? I'm talking about bolt-on, swap staright-across installation, as I am not really gifted when it comes to improvising mechanically! :thumbsup:
I don't want to raise the ride height, so if the forks are longer I will have to cheat them up in the triple clamps to keep the height the same...
I'm pretty sure the only thing I can do for the rear end is get the shock re-built for my weight, as I truly do not want a taller bike....

• Owyhee

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I'm thinking it's hard to do this:

to get me some much-needed travel upgrade?

Without doing this:

I don't want to raise the ride height,

Any XR600R fork is going to give you more travel but also more ride height. The newer (1991+) XR600R fork is also a cartridge fork and world's better than the XL fork. As XR600R forks are often replaced with USD forks an entire set (wheel+fork+clamps+bar+dodads) may only set you back $150 or so.

The bearings and stem length are the same so the new forks/clamps should just slide on.

If memory serves, the XL forks had 8.7" of travel and the XR forks had 11.6" of travel. Without changing the shock too the bike would be choppered out, and with the longer shock the bike will be quite a bit taller.

Hope that helps a bit.

"O"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zrxer

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:07 PM

Timmerz, I bolted on a '93 XR650L front end to my '84 XL600R. I do mean "bolted on". No mods required.:thumbsup: Bruce

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Upgrading the XL's forks is not a 'parts swap' affair. It requires travel reduction on the new forks. And, it is pointless to upgrade the front without upgrading the back. In addition, the bike is just not designed to go faster over rought terrain: the steel frame flexes too much.
You can improve the function of the front forks by adding air tanks, lowering the oil height, drilling out the holes in the damping rods by two drill sizes, and getting the right springs for your weight (very, very, important). You do similar mods to the rear.
The stock XL works very well when set up right, if you don't try and make it do things it was never intended to do.
If that is what you want..........
.......save your money, and get a better bike.

• Timmerz

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:45 PM

You guys all make some very good points....thanks for the info!
Tim

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.