Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:47 AM

Why coolant comes out from the hole?:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• albertlui

Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:51 AM

This is a 06WR450F.

• tweav

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:00 AM

I would say your water pump seals are bad , Time to rebuild it . it may also be getting into the oil. If your not careful you could trash your engine if you run it like that. there is really to much to it . here's a pic of a 05's you'd need parts 3,4,5,6

Posted Image

• ophir

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:35 AM

The weaper hole is there to let you know when your seal is bad. An O6 and bad already. My 03 had a burr on the pump that would nick the seal. So if you change the seal and it leaks again look at the pump.

• Frostbite

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Definitely the water pump seal, I've replaced mine a few times. You should replace the shaft along with the water pump seal. A rough shaft will chew up the new seal pretty quickly.
If oil comes out of the vent hole you know your oil seal is bad, coolant means the water pump seal. even if the oil seal is good, for the extra 5 bucks you may as well replace it while you have the engine open.

• albertlui

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Thanks all.
Just remove the pump cover can replace the water & oil seal? My friend with a WR400 said that he need to remove the whole side cover. If that is true, I need to buy the gasket.

• kskyles

Posted November 25, 2007 - 08:31 PM

you'll need take off the side cover. take off the oil pump, and water pump covers, remove impeller..then take off the clutch cover. then you'll have to take off the side cover.

just take your time, and it is fine. do a search, and you'll find pictures of this repair done. i've done this one twice, and it's not bad. make sure to replace the impeller shaft and both seals. also check the bearing while you have it apart. make sure to keep track of all your small o-rings.

• Alternative

Posted November 26, 2007 - 06:21 AM

Thanks all.
Just remove the pump cover can replace the water & oil seal? My friend with a WR400 said that he need to remove the whole side cover. If that is true, I need to buy the gasket.

If you're careful when you take the sidecover off you can re-use the gasket. I did this on my bike a few months ago and its not hard at all.

• face_plant

Posted November 27, 2007 - 10:57 AM

also maby a 2,8 i literally had to put it in a vise to separate it (and trashed the shaft (. i say clutch cover first bc u have 2 bolts hiding under it. if you forget to take them out "i see a pry bar comming" its easy just MAKE SURE THE SEAL FACES THE RIGHT DIRECTION

• mxer1965

Posted November 27, 2007 - 09:35 PM

I bought a NEW 07 WR two months ago and the coolant seal started seaping within two weeks. Yes it was still under the 30 day warranty but I very much prefer to do my own work as I know it's done right the first time.

All you need to do albertlui is remove the water pump, then remove the impeller and replace the seal. Be carefull to not lose the two locator dowels. It's a 20 minute job. I don't recall if the impeller had reverse threads but all you need to do is look at them to figure that out. Use a 3/8" impact to remove impeller. Check out the shaft for roughness or burrs and replace it if needed.

I believe my seal started leaking because it sat at a dealership for a year untill I rescued it. LOL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted November 28, 2007 - 02:39 AM

NEED to replace the shaft also. Old shaft + new seals = more leaks real soon.

• Wrbiker

Posted November 29, 2007 - 09:22 AM

hi... is it possible that the coolant will leak into the cylinder head from the cylinder resulting mixture of (engine oil+coolant) dripping out from the pipe breather?

should i remove the cylinder head and replace the gasket inbetween or tighten the nuts..

• tweav

Posted December 07, 2007 - 04:27 AM

WhaT ????????? :thumbsup: :busted:

I think Yamaha is kind of sucking here. My water pump Just started leaking . The P.O.S only has 325 miles on it . I thought the new 4 strokes were tough . It turns out the thing that is tough is keeping up with all failures ....

Yamaha :goofy: :D :D :D :busted: :ride: :lol: :worthy:

I want My Cr 500 afc Dual sport done so I can ride a bike more then work on it.

• clark4131

Posted December 08, 2007 - 08:32 AM

WhaT ????????? :banghead: :busted:

I think Yamaha is kind of sucking here. My water pump Just started leaking . The P.O.S only has 325 miles on it . I thought the new 4 strokes were tough . It turns out the thing that is tough is keeping up with all failures ....

Yamaha :ride: :crazy: :eek: :thumbsdn: :D :D :busted: :ride:

I want My Cr 500 afc Dual sport done so I can ride a bike more then work on it.

The water pump is a normal wear item. Some wear out faster than others, but sooner or later they all go. It isn't a big deal. The same thing applies with the starters. These are high performance 4-strokes which means they will require maintenance. If you want a bike that's as bulletproof as the Honda XR was, then buy an XR, but be prepared to be in the back of the pack. The trade off is performance. The air-filter-cage-hole thing was inexcusable, I'll grant you that. But the 5-valve design will outlast anything else out there in its class. All the little piccadillos that crop up from time to time are a minor trade off for everything else you get. The way I see it is you have a few choices: 1. Sack up and learn to wrench a little, 2. Pay someone to do it, 3. Sell the bike and get something lower on the food chain. Aside from bolt-on goodies, I didn't know diddley-squat about wrenching on bikes before I bought my WR. Now I'd say I'm pretty good with everything, and the learning process has been a kick along the way...SC

• Charmin

Posted December 18, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Replace both, seals and shaft, I only changed the seals and the leak is still there, sometimes here in MX takes like a month to bring all the required parts.

Is better to wait for all the parts and do the job only one time.

Good luck.

• chrispy1202

Posted December 19, 2007 - 04:03 AM

Grab your owners manual and a pint of beer and sit down and read how to do it first. Then head out to the garage with your metric wrenches and get started. Follow it to the letter and you will find that it is very simple. Make sure to use a torque wrench when puting it back together. If you don't have one, go buy one. It will make your wrenching a whole lot easier and safer. (easy to strip out the bolts when they only torque to 7 FT Lbs.) When you drain you coolant from the bottom bolt at the water pump cover, make sure to keep the rad cap on until you have a bucket ready. It will dribble out of the hole until the cap is removed and then it shoots straight out like a childs water gun.
Cheers
Chris.

• tweav

Posted December 19, 2007 - 04:12 AM

Yes it is no big deal to fix the leak .I put in two seals and the shaft . My issue is the fact that went bad with only 300 street miles . I think yamaha should make a ceramic pump seal and get rid of this issue. There is no excuse for such a cheap setup :banghead: :busted: :D

• TheBlackSheep

Posted December 20, 2007 - 06:51 AM

Definitely the water pump seal. Mine just went out on my 07' WR450 with 95 hours on it. $30 for a new seal.

............. bahhh :banghead:

• tweav

Posted December 20, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I think I'm going to order more spare parts now .So next time I don't have to wait a week for parts

• Sycamore

Posted January 22, 2008 - 03:11 PM

I bought a NEW 07 WR two months ago and the coolant seal started seaping within two weeks. Yes it was still under the 30 day warranty but I very much prefer to do my own work as I know it's done right the first time.

All you need to do albertlui is remove the water pump, then remove the impeller and replace the seal. Be carefull to not lose the two locator dowels. It's a 20 minute job. I don't recall if the impeller had reverse threads but all you need to do is look at them to figure that out. Use a 3/8" impact to remove impeller. Check out the shaft for roughness or burrs and replace it if needed.

I believe my seal started leaking because it sat at a dealership for a year untill I rescued it. LOL

Yeah my 07 is weeping too. I've only got about 5 or 6 rides. Sounds like a small pattern here.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.